Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Respira

Gluten Free And Still Having Problems? This Might Help

still figuring out how to post this sorry..I give up!!! To see the information below in chart form go to: http://www.geo-pie.cornell.edu/issues/toxins.html

the chart is located in the middle of the page

Some Common Plant Toxins and Antinutrients

Chemical families of naturally-occuring plant-made toxins found at low levels in many foods that we eat. Effect on humans and animals is based on laboratory tests using toxin concentrations much higher than the concentrations normally found in food.

Toxin Family

Examples of Occurrence in Plants

Effect on humans and animals

Cyanogenic glycosides Sweet potatoes, stone fruits, lima beans Gastrointestinal inflammation; inhibition of cellular respiration

Glulcosinolates Rape (canola), mustard, radish, cabbage, peanut, soybean, onion Goiter; impaired metabolism; reduced iodine uptake; decreased protein digestion

Glycoalkaloids Potato, tomato Depressed central nervous system; kidney inflammation; carcinogenic; birth defects; reduced iron uptake

Gossypol Cottonseed Reduced iron uptake; spermicidal; carcinogenic

Lectins Most cereals, soybeans, other beans, potatoes Intestinal inflammation; decreased nutrient uptake/absorption

Oxalate Spinach, rhubarb, tomato Reduces solubility of calcium, iron, and zinc

Phenols Most fruits and vegetables, cereals, soybean, potato, tea, coffee Destroys thiamine; raises cholesterol; estrogen-mimic

Coumarins Celery, parsley, parsnips, figs Light-activated carcinogens; skin irritation

Patrice

retired Respiratory Therapist

currently Amateur Poker Player

" You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.... Albert Einstein"

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Thank you I thought it was really interesting too. Every time I eat any form of bean it is as if I have been glutened. I began to suspect beans, so I stayed off all forms of beans for 2 weeks then tried about a tablespoon of lima beans 3 days in a row. Well, it was as if I had been glutened to death! So I started researching and found some very interesting information along the way.

Patrice

retired Respiratory Therapist

currently Amateur Poker Player

" You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.... Albert Einstein"

Join eNewsletter

Thank you I thought it was really interesting too. Every time I eat any form of bean it is as if I have been glutened. I began to suspect beans, so I stayed off all forms of beans for 2 weeks then tried about a tablespoon of lima beans 3 days in a row. Well, it was as if I had been glutened to death! So I started researching and found some very interesting information along the way.

I'm intolerant to all legumes--I figured it out through elimination, also. I recently tried (on separate occasions) string beans and peas--after over 2 years of being off legumes completely--I reacted to them.

There was a sports doctor who used to post here, and he told me that people with autoimmune disease, especially, are more likely to have problems with legumes.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

I'm intolerant to all legumes--I figured it out through elimination, also. I recently tried (on separate occasions) string beans and peas--after over 2 years of being off legumes completely--I reacted to them.

Although I hadn't ever considered green peas to be a legume, they are categorized as such. Apparently because of the pod. I'm not ready to put them in the same category with lima beans or kidney beans though. (I thoroughly hate lima beans anyway - ugh!)

There was a sports doctor who used to post here, and he told me that people with autoimmune disease, especially, are more likely to have problems with legumes.

Gee, I never heard that, and I hope it doesn't apply to me. It would be very limiting to my already narrow range of veggies.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter