This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm Stunned....and I'm Angry!

Morrisun

Morrisun Newbie

Wow! I have just had one of the worst customer service experiences EVER!!!!

I called Purepac Pharmaceuticals (part of Actavis) to verify if their Spironolactone is gluten free or not. First I was told I would have to leave a message and wait for someone to call me back. So the lady transferred me and low and behold someone answered the phone. It was their medical safety department.

I said that I was calling to verify if one of their products was gluten free. And the lady said what medication, so I said Spironolactone. Immediately she says "We can't tell you if it's gluten free or not because we don't test for that. I said "You can't tell me what ingredients are in the medication?" And she said with attitude like I was totally putting her out "I can tell you what ingredients are in there but I can't tell you it's gluten free because we don't test for that." I said starting to get irritated, "Okay, well what ingredients are in there?" And she lets out this HUGE sigh ('cause you know god forbid I ask her to help me) and she goes "what's your name and number and I'll have someone call you." I gave her my name and number and she HUNG UP ON ME!!!!!!!!! Can you freaking believe that???!?!

Seriously, I don't get pissed off very easily, but this just totally pissed me off. First off I think it's ridiculous that we have to jump through enormous hoops just to find out if medications are gluten free. I don't take meds for fun, I take them because I HAVE to. I wish I didn't have to! I'm irritated that the drug companies make it so difficult, and that pharmacists can't tell us. In my opinion (and I'm NOT blaming the pharmacists) that should be something that they should be able to see just by looking on the bottle, or whatever. If you can tell a drugs interactions, why can they not just as easily list the ingredients or list it as gluten-free or not?? I can find out if my spaghetti sauce is gluten-free, but not my medication. There is something seriously wrong with that!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ptkds Community Regular

You should call them back and speak to a manager/supervisor, or email their complaint department if they have one.

I totally agree with you about the fact that it is easier for us to ensure our food is safe, but medicine is nearly impossible to check out!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Hi

My pharmacists at CVS are just wonderful to me.

THEY call and get the info as they are the only ones that seem to be able to get THROUGH ALL THE IDIOTS :ph34r: WHO ARE PAID TO DO CUSTOMER SERVICE.

They are calling one for me now............ i can't have gluten, soy, lactose, casein or tapiaco.......

Maybe you can find a pharmacy that will accomidate your needs.

Judy

kenlove Rising Star

I dont blame you at all for being upset, I dont think I would have handled it as well. The older I get the more I loose my cool with these types of idiots and with the system that creates them and the problems we try to solve.

Not knowing if a medicine is gluten-free is crazy-- my doctor always says to ask the pharmacy and of course they always say to ask the doctor.

We know where prepared food is from but here we dont know where fresh produce come from. It amazes me that we know what country our shirts, shoes, pants dvd players, tvs etc are from but not where fresh garlic, ginger, peppers etc come from. At least here in Hawaii we have no idea.

ken

Wow! I have just had one of the worst customer service experiences EVER!!!!

I called Purepac Pharmaceuticals (part of Actavis) to verify if their Spironolactone is gluten free or not. First I was told I would have to leave a message and wait for someone to call me back. So the lady transferred me and low and behold someone answered the phone. It was their medical safety department.

I said that I was calling to verify if one of their products was gluten free. And the lady said what medication, so I said Spironolactone. Immediately she says "We can't tell you if it's gluten free or not because we don't test for that. I said "You can't tell me what ingredients are in the medication?" And she said with attitude like I was totally putting her out "I can tell you what ingredients are in there but I can't tell you it's gluten free because we don't test for that." I said starting to get irritated, "Okay, well what ingredients are in there?" And she lets out this HUGE sigh ('cause you know god forbid I ask her to help me) and she goes "what's your name and number and I'll have someone call you." I gave her my name and number and she HUNG UP ON ME!!!!!!!!! Can you freaking believe that???!?!

Seriously, I don't get pissed off very easily, but this just totally pissed me off. First off I think it's ridiculous that we have to jump through enormous hoops just to find out if medications are gluten free. I don't take meds for fun, I take them because I HAVE to. I wish I didn't have to! I'm irritated that the drug companies make it so difficult, and that pharmacists can't tell us. In my opinion (and I'm NOT blaming the pharmacists) that should be something that they should be able to see just by looking on the bottle, or whatever. If you can tell a drugs interactions, why can they not just as easily list the ingredients or list it as gluten-free or not?? I can find out if my spaghetti sauce is gluten-free, but not my medication. There is something seriously wrong with that!!!!

missy'smom Collaborator

I totally understand. Just yesterday I had to figure out for myself if the prescription I was given was gluten-free and I know that probably everyone out there has been through this at one time or another. It NEEDS to be changed!

sickchick Community Regular

Ah! I would be so mad....

:o

Morrisun Newbie

I've written a letter to their HQ, I do better expressing myself if I write it down. I've also written a letter to my Senator. I'm not expecting much to come from either but we'll see. It all started with the Cipro thread. I just think it's completely insane that it is this difficult to find out!

I still haven't heard back from them and I'm not thinking that I will. I also called Mylan and Watson. Mylan was absolutely wonderful and Watson was good too.

I'm pretty sure that the medication I was calling about is gluten-free because I never have noticed any problem with it, but since Dec. 1st I've been super super careful about my diet and I want to be certain.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I've written a letter to their HQ, I do better expressing myself if I write it down. I've also written a letter to my Senator. I'm not expecting much to come from either but we'll see. It all started with the Cipro thread. I just think it's completely insane that it is this difficult to find out!

I still haven't heard back from them and I'm not thinking that I will. I also called Mylan and Watson. Mylan was absolutely wonderful and Watson was good too.

I'm pretty sure that the medication I was calling about is gluten-free because I never have noticed any problem with it, but since Dec. 1st I've been super super careful about my diet and I want to be certain.

I might think about sending copies of those letters to the FDA and the AMA also. If we all write to the heads of these organizations maybe someday something will be done. They need to understand these meds can be not just inconvient for us but also very dangerous to our physical and mental health.

Nyxie63 Apprentice

There's absolutely no excuse for behavior like that. Did you get her name?

In the meantime, here's a website that I've found handy for looking up ingredients for various meds.

Open Original Shared Link

Hope it helps.

kenlove Rising Star

great Idea!

I might think about sending copies of those letters to the FDA and the AMA also. If we all write to the heads of these organizations maybe someday something will be done. They need to understand these meds can be not just inconvient for us but also very dangerous to our physical and mental health.
Morrisun Newbie

I didn't get her name unfortunately. I seriously just wasn't expecting to be treated like that. I will probably send a copy to the FDA, and the AMA, good idea! I did find out that the brand name is gluten-free so I asked my Dr. to write me a new script for brand only. At this point I don't care if their medication is gluten-free or not, they're not getting any more of my money!

Morrisun Newbie

I finally heard back from Actavis regarding Spironolactone. He said that it contains malt dextrose, and I don't know if he meant to say maltodextrin because he then said he could not tell where it came from, the US (corn based) or Europe (possibly wheat based).

What would you guys do? I've decided to go with the brand name because I know that it is gluten-free. It's a huge headache though, I've had to fight with my insurance to cover it.

home-based-mom Contributor
I finally heard back from Actavis regarding Spironolactone. He said that it contains malt dextrose, and I don't know if he meant to say maltodextrin because he then said he could not tell where it came from, the US (corn based) or Europe (possibly wheat based).

What would you guys do? I've decided to go with the brand name because I know that it is gluten-free. It's a huge headache though, I've had to fight with my insurance to cover it.

I would go with the brand name also. I detest fighting with the insurance companies over anything because they seem immune to reason and logic even if it happens to be cost-effective, but you could try pointing out to them that if they want to insist on generics, then they will have to mandate that generics be totally free of allergens. They control the purse strings and they have the power to make it happen if they want to, whether they will admit it or not.

There is no point in taking medication that will make you sicker. :blink:

Morrisun Newbie

You're right. I told the lady at the insurance company that I either get it gluten-free, or I don't take it at all. It's for PCOS, and it's not a medicine that will cause me to die if I don't take it, but still. I was surprised that Express Scripts was actually really good about it and told me it wouldn't be a problem at all if my Dr. did them mail order and just stated, allergies needs brand. He said if I wanted to get them retail my Dr. would have to write a letter. I would rather get my meds through mail order anyway, so we'll see.

I did end up writing a letter to the AMA, FDA and the APhA. Not expecting much, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Archived