Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

texasmama

Detoxing From Gluten?

My five year old son has been gluten-free since 1-4-08. He has had eczema most of his life. He has been dairy free for two years. We eat very little soy. Now he is off gluten. About a week after going gluten free, his eczema was miraculously almost gone. Then a few days later it was back as bad as it has ever been. I am puzzled. Is this detoxing? How long does it take? Should I be looking at other things like eggs or corn? We already used unscented laundry detergents and such. I am convinced the cause is dietary. I don't know how long it takes to get the gluten out of your system, though, and heal up your body of issues like this. I have googled pics of DH and it doesn't look like this. It looks like typical eczema. My other son has it to a lesser degree but his is almost gone. Any thoughts?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My first thought is CC, but you'd know better if and how that's a possibility. You might be correct about other foods causing problems though. But it does take more time to recover for some people. It seems to vary from days to years.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Join eNewsletter

It is possible that he shows improvement, enough to show you that you are on the right track, but flares back and forth for awhile. The DH people here on the forum can help you more than I can as I don't have skin conditions associated. But my constipation did exactly this--showed initial change then worsened. I was up and down for a long time. It can take a long time to heal the intestines but children are faster than adults.

Another possibility is that you haven't removed all gluten containing personal care products. Soap, detergent, shampoo, lotions all can contain gluten and can be hidden sources.

I learned about that on this forum, but couldn't cope with doing that right away. When I did, I noticed a clear lightening of symptoms.

There are differing levels of sensitivity to CC as well, and many report this gets worse after going gluten-free.

Hope this helps.

4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

Join eNewsletter

Thank you for the feedback. Our home is gluten-free and we have given up eating out so the chance of cc is really low. I have replaced cc cookware and such. He is only moisturized with plain coconut oil - no soaps or lotions. Maybe it will just take him longer to heal up. I believe I will get rid of all soy, too, though it is incidental for the most part.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter