Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sandi*

I'm Going To Italy

I am going to Italy soon but I don't speak Italian. I've been there before (back before the diet) and I know that I can't always rely on people speaking English, especially when I have to explain something complicated in detail. We'll be staying in the mountains in a small, family-owned hotel. There is supposedly a small grocery store within a few kilometers but that's it. So I will have to rely on whatever they serve me for meals. I found some index cards on the internet explaining the gluten-free diet in Italian. The cards explain that I can't eat gluten but dairy, salads, etc. are OK. The problem is, on top of gluten-free, I can't eat any dairy or foods high in fat and raw vegetables. So I figured I'd make my own index cards. And that's where I need help from someone who speaks Italian. Could you please translate the following text for me?

I have an illness called Celiac disease and I have to follow a strict, gluten free diet. I am also allergic to dairy and foods high in fat, including olive oil. I cannot eat any food that contains flour or wheat, barley, and rye, milk, cream, cheese, butter, lard, or oil.

I can eat foods containing meat, fish, eggs, rice, potatoes, quinoa, maize, buckwheat, cooked vegetables, and fruit - as long as they are not cooked with flour, breadcrumbs, cream, butter, and are not fried.

Thank you for your help.

Thanks!

gluten-free since 9/30/09

positive gene test 8/11/09

endoscopy 9/30/09 (awaiting results)

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Sandi

I wish I could go to Italy. Got any room in your suitcase to hid me?

I really can't help you much but I do know there are store called" Elite" sorta like a speciality market that is supposed to have wonderful crackers & things....... I think they are near Rome. I'm not sure where you are going.

I have been trying for a long time to have someone bring me back things to try. Italy is a gluten-free paradise....... I can read a little Italian but I can't write it. I've tried to send e-mails to stores in Italy but they can't read English so they always ask what I'm trying to say.... I think I would buy a language book with words in English & in Italian. That way you can find the words & show them in Italian & they will know or understand.

All pharmaca's carry gluten-free foods if you have a place to cook & they also have cookies & things........

blessings

mamaw (sande)

Join eNewsletter

Did you try an online translation service? I know google has one that's free. It's not 100% accurate, but it's pretty close and you can probably tweak it a little once you get there.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09

Join eNewsletter

mamaw - thanks, I've also heard wonderful things about Italy when it comes to gluten-free stuff. I'm just concerned about how much a little store in the mountains would carry... but I will bring my own safe foods just to keep it safe. And a dictionary is a great idea!

lizard00 - I'm really skeptical about those translation services, I've tried them before just for fun, using languages I already speak and I couldn't believe the nonsense that came out of it, lol! I definitely wouldn't trust them when my health depends on it :). But I did post a question to yahoo answers and got pretty good translations from people there so I'm happy now :)

gluten-free since 9/30/09

positive gene test 8/11/09

endoscopy 9/30/09 (awaiting results)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter