This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm Going To Italy

Sandi*

Sandi* Apprentice

I am going to Italy soon but I don't speak Italian. I've been there before (back before the diet) and I know that I can't always rely on people speaking English, especially when I have to explain something complicated in detail. We'll be staying in the mountains in a small, family-owned hotel. There is supposedly a small grocery store within a few kilometers but that's it. So I will have to rely on whatever they serve me for meals. I found some index cards on the internet explaining the gluten-free diet in Italian. The cards explain that I can't eat gluten but dairy, salads, etc. are OK. The problem is, on top of gluten-free, I can't eat any dairy or foods high in fat and raw vegetables. So I figured I'd make my own index cards. And that's where I need help from someone who speaks Italian. Could you please translate the following text for me?

I have an illness called Celiac disease and I have to follow a strict, gluten free diet. I am also allergic to dairy and foods high in fat, including olive oil. I cannot eat any food that contains flour or wheat, barley, and rye, milk, cream, cheese, butter, lard, or oil.

I can eat foods containing meat, fish, eggs, rice, potatoes, quinoa, maize, buckwheat, cooked vegetables, and fruit - as long as they are not cooked with flour, breadcrumbs, cream, butter, and are not fried.

Thank you for your help.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

Hi Sandi

I wish I could go to Italy. Got any room in your suitcase to hid me?

I really can't help you much but I do know there are store called" Elite" sorta like a speciality market that is supposed to have wonderful crackers & things....... I think they are near Rome. I'm not sure where you are going.

I have been trying for a long time to have someone bring me back things to try. Italy is a gluten-free paradise....... I can read a little Italian but I can't write it. I've tried to send e-mails to stores in Italy but they can't read English so they always ask what I'm trying to say.... I think I would buy a language book with words in English & in Italian. That way you can find the words & show them in Italian & they will know or understand.

All pharmaca's carry gluten-free foods if you have a place to cook & they also have cookies & things........

blessings

mamaw (sande)

lizard00 Enthusiast

Did you try an online translation service? I know google has one that's free. It's not 100% accurate, but it's pretty close and you can probably tweak it a little once you get there.

Sandi* Apprentice

mamaw - thanks, I've also heard wonderful things about Italy when it comes to gluten-free stuff. I'm just concerned about how much a little store in the mountains would carry... but I will bring my own safe foods just to keep it safe. And a dictionary is a great idea!

lizard00 - I'm really skeptical about those translation services, I've tried them before just for fun, using languages I already speak and I couldn't believe the nonsense that came out of it, lol! I definitely wouldn't trust them when my health depends on it :). But I did post a question to yahoo answers and got pretty good translations from people there so I'm happy now :)

aqu-italian-celiac Newbie

Ciao Sandi: this is the translation you need B)

"Sono celiaco e devo seguire una stretta dieta senza glutine: il glutine

Archived