Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kmort

How Long After Going Gluten Free To Try For Baby?

I am new to this forum. I have been gluten free since October and it has changed my life! A naturopathic doctor suspected it after I dealt with years of gastro, bladder, sinus and finally Rhuematoid Arthritis. I have not received an official Celiac's diagnosis because I do not want to go back on gluten to find out what I already know - it make me feel terrible!

My question is related to pregnancy. My husband and I would like to start trying. However, I have heard that it is best to wait a while after going gluten free to let your system heal and allow nutrients to be fully absorbed once again. Has anyone else heard about this? If so, what is an appropriate amount of time to wait?

Any help would be appreciated. I have found so much information on this forum. It is such a huge help!

Kmort

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am new to this forum. I have been gluten free since October and it has changed my life! A naturopathic doctor suspected it after I dealt with years of gastro, bladder, sinus and finally Rhuematoid Arthritis. I have not received an official Celiac's diagnosis because I do not want to go back on gluten to find out what I already know - it make me feel terrible!

My question is related to pregnancy. My husband and I would like to start trying. However, I have heard that it is best to wait a while after going gluten free to let your system heal and allow nutrients to be fully absorbed once again. Has anyone else heard about this? If so, what is an appropriate amount of time to wait?

Any help would be appreciated. I have found so much information on this forum. It is such a huge help!

Kmort

I'm certainly no medical expert but I would say 1) have your naturopath check all your vitamin and mineral levels. Iron, Vit D, Folic, B12, Calcium -- what else am I forgetting? If you are told that all your levels are higher than minimum then you can be pretty sure that you are absorbing nutrients. 2) Do you have any other damage (neurological, headaches etc)? 3) Make sure that you know what to eat. Some women have said that they don't eat any "new" foods while pregnant so think ahead. You might want to limit eating out and limit other risks during the early months.

Are you taking vitamins now? If not, after your levels are checked, start taking a good, gluten-free prenatal vitamin ASAP. I did that before pregnancy and it is standard advice for all women.

And ask your naturopath and take his/her advice (and ignore mine ...).

Good luck!

Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

Join eNewsletter

they say to wait six months to a year after being diagnosed to restore health. we waited six months and i can say the hardest part was finding foods to satisfy cravings. i've done a lot of cooking - and a lot of throwing out!! once you feel comfortable with the diet and substituting foods for old stand bys it will be so much easier IMO. Good luck!!!

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007

Finally feeling better than ever!

Join eNewsletter

Another thing to think of is what you are currently using for "prevention" now, some types have suggested time limits of being "off" the method before trying.

I personally have been gluten-free for over 1 year, and have never used any "method" with my current hubby, have had my vita. levels checked and added what was on the lower side, so now, we wait and see what happens.

Just my .00000002 cents worth

If I knew what I was doing years ago I would have half a clue today!

Join eNewsletter

Hey,

I just wanted to add that I've seen people say let your body rest anywhere from 6 months to a year after going gluten free, depending on what shape your gastrointestinal system is in.

If you never had any of the typical diarhhea/weight loss, than you are probably better off than some of us (like me), but you still are most likely low in iron, calcium, magnesium and folic acid.

Folic acid is the biggie for pregnant women. You must start taking it BEFORE you want to get pregnant, because of neural tube defects (Spina Biffida). Those nerve bundles are forming at 3-4 weeks gestation, before you have even missed your period to know that you're pregnant, so your levels must be high enough before then.

Regular vitamins have 400mg, but you need 800mg. So take a good prenatal, or your regular vitamin + a 400mg supplement. Cheap from Walmart, just read the label for gluten.

I have a friend who was on a prenatal, no extra Folic Acid, and ended up with a baby girl with Spina Biffida. I don't want to scare you, well, I kind of do, but only in a good way :) so that you'll know that it's important.

So, have your OB/Gyn give you a standard blood panel to check you out before you start trying to see if you're deficient in any vitamins and minerals, take your extra folic acid, and you should be ready to roll!

Good luck!

Heather

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter