Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

imsohungry

Craving Veggie Chips

Hey everyone :)

I'm having a serious craving for veggie crisp chips (not the rippled kind, but the kind that look like Lay's chips but are more crisp). I've bought them before at Whole Foods, but they are close to four dollars a bag. I want to make something similar at home...any suggestions?

Some of the chips are sweet potato, some are spinich, etc. I know someone reading this will know what I'm talking about. I'm not sure if they are fried or baked or what variety of veggies are in a bag. :blink:

Help, anyone? thanks a million. -Julie ;)

Loves of my life: God, my hubby, and my baby boy!

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"Life's a dance you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"

(John Michael Montgomery).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."

(Garth Brooks).

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I don't think this is quite what you're looking for, but I love Terra chips- they're made from root vegetables (sweet potatoes, yucca, beets, and others), and you can get them at the grocery store, although they are still 3 or 4 dollars a bag

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

Join eNewsletter

I don't think this is quite what you're looking for, but I love Terra chips- they're made from root vegetables (sweet potatoes, yucca, beets, and others), and you can get them at the grocery store, although they are still 3 or 4 dollars a bag

Hak,

Thanks for the reply...are the chips very crispy and not rippled (like a Ruffles chip is)? I'm thinking Terra is the brand. Any idea how I would go about making them?

I don't usually like potato chips, but like you said, these are made from a variety of veggies so it's not a "traditional" chip.

We're kind of tight financially right now...plus, I'm having a difficult time finding them at my local store.

Again, thanks for the help. :) -Julie

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."

(Garth Brooks).

Join eNewsletter

Good luck Sweetie!!! B) The lady here at the local health food store told me about them and I can't find them anywhere either... lol

lovelove

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

Join eNewsletter

Unfortunately I have no idea how you might make them! Sorry!! But I do think they're fried if you're feeling adventurous.

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

Join eNewsletter

Julie do you have a mandoline? :)

Williams-Sonoma chip recipe

I bet you could just relace the potatoes with whatever you're craving...

Collette

NO Carageenan.

Join eNewsletter

Have you tried looking them up on Amazon?

Often if you can find them there, you can find a link on the listing to the manufacturer which would give your local store some idea how to order them. Also, you almost always have to buy things like that in bulk on Amazon which does sometimes cut the per bag cost, though delivery can cut into the savings. Still, if you're desperate, and believe me I know the feeling, it can be an option.

Personally I'd kill for a potato free, sunflower oil free ANYTHING.

"My mother always told me, it's okay to play with a man's mind

as long as you put it back where you got it when you're done with it."

Join eNewsletter

Hi Violet :)

Just tried Amazon...no luck. <_< But your idea was great! I'll keep checking in with Amazon.

Hak and Sickchick,

Looks like I'll be frying some chips! (Also went to the Wil-Son website for the recipe) B)

Confession:

Honest to God Collette, ten years of college and I thought a mandoline was a musical instrument! :huh::rolleyes::ph34r:

(Garth Brooks).

Join eNewsletter

:lol: Julie

Collette

NO Carageenan.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter