Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

disneyfan

Gluten Free Pantry Cake Mix Question

I tried the GFP cake/cookie mix for the first time and need suggestions.

I did follow the directions exactly on the package and maybe that was the problem.

I was a little surprised the package shows a two layer cake because the mix only makes a thin one layer cake.

I did not overbake but found the cake to be dry...I was very tempted to eat the Duncan Hines cake I also made! Any suggestions please on what to add to moisten the cake and any tips you have. I would like to try Bob's Red Mill corn muffin mix and the GFP favorite bread mix but don't want to waste two more products.

Thanks!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I did follow the directions exactly on the package and maybe that was the problem.

I was a little surprised the package shows a two layer cake because the mix only makes a thin one layer cake.

I did not overbake but found the cake to be dry...I was very tempted to eat the Duncan Hines cake I also made! Any suggestions please on what to add to moisten the cake and any tips you have. I would like to try Bob's Red Mill corn muffin mix and the GFP favorite bread mix but don't want to waste two more products.

Thanks!

I personally made the Bob's corn bread, and it was wonderiffic and tasty and just wow. I made it with the dairy options, so you know. For the cake, I would suggest doing it just the way it said, and adding a half cup of sour cream. I havent tried the GFP bread mix, so I can't give any advice there.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Join eNewsletter

hi, I don't use mixes, I find them expensive. I have a recipe for an awesome chocolate cake that I make ALL the time, and no one can tell it is gluten free, I am at work right now, but I can get you the recipe when I get home.

Also I use Bette Hagamans(sp) recipe for corn bread and it is awesome also.

But I agree I would add sourcream or yogurt.

Join eNewsletter

Thanks!

Sometimes adding some gluten free mayonaise will moisten a take. Tablespoon or so. I don't use any of the mixes. I mix brown rice flour, tapioca flour and potato starch flour. I make my own pie crust using that mix. My wife has made gluten free crustless cheesecake, pumpkin cheesecake, blueberry cake, apple spice cake, outstanding biscuits and they all come out pretty good.

"The decisions we make dictate the life we live. To thine on self be true."

Join eNewsletter

We use the bob's cornbread mix. I follow the directions, but add 1 tbs vanilla and then drizzle the top(s) with honey before baking. Everyone fights over the leftovers!

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter