Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dksart

Acronym Help

So, is there a sticky somewhere that helps explain some of these? I know celiac disease, gluten-free/CF and DH as well as a few others, but there are so many on this board that IDK! If there's not a sticky on this, there should be IMHO. TY. :blink:

"...I tried to explain to the waiter that I could not have anything with flour so he took the flower off the table..."

Live your life each day

greet the tides my friend

we're all nomads; forever on our way

a journey to the end.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

This is just a guess: I don't know

I wish the abbreviations would be kept to a minimum as many of us aren't up to date with text messaging lettering. For a while I thought POS meant Positive... and I couldn't figure out a sentence such as this:

The new thing I purchased was a pos.

Then I finally figured it out days later. Since we aren't being charged by the "letter" as we would be if this were cell phones and Blackberries could we avoid the less common abbreviations.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Join eNewsletter

There are lots of acronym dictionaries out there - here's one: http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/.

I don't have a problem with peopele using acronyms, as long as I can figure out what they mean in context. I understand how they upset people sometimes, though.

HTH (that means hope this helps ;) )

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Join eNewsletter

Well, I started this topic after reading a woman's reply that said she had ED. :huh: I googled that and it said she had Erectile Dysfunction. :blink: I am pretty sure that women don't usually have that, so I was hoping there was a cheat sheet somewhere. :rolleyes:

"...I tried to explain to the waiter that I could not have anything with flour so he took the flower off the table..."

Live your life each day

a journey to the end.

Join eNewsletter

The dictionaries for this stuff is a nice idea but I really don't have that kind of time because the abbreviations are so rampant. For communication lines to work, it is necessary to try to achieve comunicating the message on the first try. Having the reader have to shoot back and forth to a dictionary makes it cumbersome and also makes the reader feel that perhaps he does not belong in the conversation. "In my humble opinion" :lol: I don't think abbreviations are necessary on a program board such as this. For example, I had no doubt that POS really meant "positive": why would I look it up when I thought I knew that POS meant positive? The other woman's example of ED is another perfect example of using abbreviations and creating miscommunication. Another reason is that the board is filled with people, like myself, who do not use these abbreviations in our normal course of life and it would be appreciated if the abbreviations were kept down to a minimum.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Join eNewsletter

The dictionaries for this stuff is a nice idea but I really don't have that kind of time because the abbreviations are so rampant. For communication lines to work, it is necessary to try to achieve comunicating the message on the first try. Having the reader have to shoot back and forth to a dictionary makes it cumbersome and also makes the reader feel that perhaps he does not belong in the conversation. "In my humble opinion" :lol: I don't think abbreviations are necessary on a program board such as this. For example, I had no doubt that POS really meant "positive": why would I look it up when I thought I knew that POS meant positive? The other woman's example of ED is another perfect example of using abbreviations and creating miscommunication. Another reason is that the board is filled with people, like myself, who do not use these abbreviations in our normal course of life and it would be appreciated if the abbreviations were kept down to a minimum.

Since I haven't seen either of those in context yet...what do POS and ED mean? :huh:

Loves of my life: God, my hubby, and my baby boy!

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"Life's a dance you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"

(John Michael Montgomery).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."

(Garth Brooks).

Join eNewsletter

Since I haven't seen either of those in context yet...what do POS and ED mean? :huh:

Well, I still don't know about ED.......but a POS is a Piece of $#!t.

Live your life each day

a journey to the end.

Join eNewsletter

Well, I still don't know about ED.......but a POS is a Piece of $#!t.

That was my first guess, but I'm from the south...so POS is a term passed down through generations. :D (long before text messaging) I didn't know others knew what it meant!

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."

(Garth Brooks).

Join eNewsletter

That was my first guess, but I'm from the south...so POS is a term passed down through generations. :D (long before text messaging) I didn't know others knew what it meant!

Southerner here too! Born and bred in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Live your life each day

a journey to the end.

Join eNewsletter

To me, a store owner, POS means point of sale.lol :huh:

jennyj

Diagnosed March 2006 celiac sprue

Severe iron deficent anemia Jan 2002

Hypoglecemia 2000

"I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me"

Join eNewsletter

What acronyms specifically are you looking for? That would be the place to start, so that they can be explained to you (and to most of us newbies). I can figure out most of them....I think. CC'd is cross contamination, Dx is diagnosis (right?), DH dermatitis herpetiformis, big D is diarhea, big C is constipation, ......what else? I only think I'm right and can guess at these because they apply to me. Please tell me if I'm wrong. Any others?

GOD IS GREAT, GOD IS GOOD, THANK YOU FOR OUR GLUTEN-FREE FOOD!

MUSIC IS THE BREATH OF LIFE

Theresa

Join eNewsletter

What acronyms specifically are you looking for? That would be the place to start, so that they can be explained to you (and to most of us newbies). I can figure out most of them....I think. CC'd is cross contamination, Dx is diagnosis (right?), DH dermatitis herpetiformis, big D is diarhea, big C is constipation, ......what else? I only think I'm right and can guess at these because they apply to me. Please tell me if I'm wrong. Any others?

Well, I already knew all of those. Just some medical terminology and some people list their diagnoses with abbreviations or acronyms also the dna and genetic results. Those are the ones I have trouble with. If I can find some specific examples, I'll list them here.

Live your life each day

a journey to the end.

Join eNewsletter

Actually, the abbreviations/acronyms predate texting by many years. I've been using these short forms since I started participating in newsgroups in the early 90s...this was well before I had an internet browser that actually showed images. If I'm not mistaken, L337 speak predates phone texting too.

YMMV - your methods may vary

IMHO - in my humble opinion

DH - can also mean dear husband or darn husband

DS/DD/DW - dear son, daughter, wife

ROTFLMAO - rolling on the floor laughing my ass off

AFAIK - as far as I know

etc

You can do a Google search for a list of common acronyms...pretty easy to find.

Michelle :)

This is just a guess: I don't know

I wish the abbreviations would be kept to a minimum as many of us aren't up to date with text messaging lettering. For a while I thought POS meant Positive... and I couldn't figure out a sentence such as this:

The new thing I purchased was a pos.

Then I finally figured it out days later. Since we aren't being charged by the "letter" as we would be if this were cell phones and Blackberries could we avoid the less common abbreviations.

Join eNewsletter

and I learned a new one on American Idol the other night

TMTH---too much to handle

HA! Me too :P That was a new one for me...

(Garth Brooks).

Join eNewsletter

Well, I started this topic after reading a woman's reply that said she had ED. :huh: I googled that and it said she had Erectile Dysfunction. :blink: I am pretty sure that women don't usually have that, so I was hoping there was a cheat sheet somewhere. :rolleyes:

I'm just reading your post for the first time, and while ED may generally refer to Erectile Dysfunction, in the context of celiac disease I would think of Explosive Diarreah. Been there, done that. ;)

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

I'm just reading your post for the first time, and while ED may generally refer to Erectile Dysfunction, in the context of celiac disease I would think of Explosive Diarreah. Been there, done that. ;)

WITNESS! :lol::lol::lol:

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

Wow, thanks! How obvious, why didn't I think of that? :rolleyes:

Live your life each day

a journey to the end.

Join eNewsletter

OK..good...I'm glad I saw this post, because I felt kind of stupid. Does DD, DS, DH mean Darling Daughter, etc? And are we required to use them? I wasn't sure. LOL Thanks

Toni

Gluten Free - February 16, 2008

Diagnosed with positive bloodwork and biopsy.

No digestive symptoms for the past 25 years, but did have severe anemia, osteoporosis, lactose intolerance and RLS at time of diagnosis.

Join eNewsletter

OK..good...I'm glad I saw this post, because I felt kind of stupid. Does DD, DS, DH mean Darling Daughter, etc? And are we required to use them? I wasn't sure. LOL Thanks

Required to use them, goodness no. In fact, the Administration has requested that we NOT used them. I too have difficulties translating.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

I work at a school, so for me, ED means emotional disability :wacko:

~~Lisa~~

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."--Moliere

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."--Douglas Adams

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!--Amanda

gluten-free since 1/08

happy%20dance%20penguin.gif

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter