Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Southernserenity

Baffled At Test Results, And No Diagnosis.

Hello everyone.

I have been dealing with food allergies for years, 4 to be exact, with DD9, and that is when I first came across the term celiac disease. I suspected she might have it, she saw a Gi Dr that looked at her and said nope it is allergies. It was left at that. Fast forward a few years, and new pediatrician. Diarrhea still exists, stomach pains, and she is small for her age.

Then DS4 has many similar symptoms so Dr tests their IGA levels, his is 97%, hers is 26%. Based on his high number he has a biopsy done last week. GI Dr called with results said there is swelling and villi changes in duodendum, yet lower intestine looks okay. Dr says he is hesitant to diagnose celiac because he is not 100%. So he is ordering another blood test HLA-DQ to further assist him in diagnosing. We will go from there. Also, based on those results if they are positive he wants to have DD undergo a biopsy.

In the meantime DS is to avoid wheat, which he tested mildly allergic to anyhow. I am baffled at all this. Based on his 97% IGA, and the villi changes it sounds like celiac, but I guess the Dr is hesitant to misdiagnose. Thanks for any input.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yeah, they're weird these doctors. I guess they think that life on a gluten free diet is so horrible that one should be on the Midnight Express to death before prescribing such a diet.

I'm really appreciative of my doctor. Great guy, but he sounded so sad for me when he called with the genetic test results. I'm not sad. I'm going to get better and I won't have to take a ton of drugs.

I didn't get a firm diagnosis either. What I got was, paraphrased, "You carry the gene. You have villous atrophy. You have these troubling symptoms. It could be celiac and in a few weeks at your appointment we'll discuss it." I told my doc I was going gluten-free immediately and he said that was a good idea. But he sounded sad.

I think that doctors are faced with so many patients that are non-compliant with their treatment programs they get jaded. But I also think most people diagnosed with celiac feel empowered. I know that since learning this is what is wrong with me, and the reason why I have been feeling so awful since early summer, I'm energized. I will do whatever it takes to get better and enjoy doing it. There is nothing sad or horrible about it.

Join eNewsletter

In the meantime DS is to avoid wheat, which he tested mildly allergic to anyhow. I am baffled at all this. Based on his 97% IGA, and the villi changes it sounds like celiac, but I guess the Dr is hesitant to misdiagnose. Thanks for any input.

yea lots of doctors either diagnose you with the first thing they think of or are reluctant to diagnose you with anything unless they are 100% sure. My GI wanted to be 100% certain (given that im young and he didnt want to make me suffer unneccessarily) but my body had other ideas, hopefully your GI will be as insightful as mine and go with the blood tests. Good luck.

"great works are performed not by strength but by perseverence"

Diagnosed coeliac - aged 14

Asthma

Osteopinia

High blood calcium

Crohn's disease -december 2012 

Join eNewsletter

Thanks for the comments. Actually I am satisfied with the kids GI Dr now, and prefer to have a Dr that wants to be 100% instead of one that gives a quick, yet not sure diagnosis.

Nonetheless it is a time consuming road to get answers with this. I have taught my kids to focus on what they can have instead of vice-versa. Until you are faced with a wheat allergy or celiac disease you don't really realize how our society is so *focused* on wheat. It is used in so many things...

Just waiting...

Join eNewsletter

. Until you are faced with a wheat allergy or celiac disease you don't really realize how our society is so *focused* on wheat. It is used in so many things...

Just waiting...

yea its appauling the things its in.. and the things we cant have because it may contain traces of gluten luckily there are good alternitives out there

"great works are performed not by strength but by perseverence"

Diagnosed coeliac - aged 14

Asthma

Osteopinia

High blood calcium

Crohn's disease -december 2012 

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter