Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CeliacInSanDiego

Corn-free Baking Powder?

I'm just starting to think of baking again after my Celiac Diagnosis. Unfortunately, I can't do corn (or rice, or soy, or many other things). My Mumford Baking Powder in the cupboard has corn starch in it and I notice a lot of recipes call for baking powder, not soda (which doesn't have corn). Anyone know of a corn-free brand of baking powder or how to "make" baking powder from baking soda?

Thanks.

I'm just starting to think of baking again after my Celiac Diagnosis. Unfortunately, I can't do corn (or rice, or soy, or many other things). My Mumford Baking Powder in the cupboard has corn starch in it and I notice a lot of recipes call for baking powder, not soda (which doesn't have corn). Anyone know of a corn-free brand of baking powder or how to "make" baking powder from baking soda?

Thanks.

Hi 'CeliacInSanDiego',

Why not make your own gluten-free 'Baking Powder'

Added corn flour is only to stop 'Clumping' (keep it free flowing and dry)

1 Parts Baking Soda

2 Part Cream of Tartar

1 Part Tapioca starch (optional)

Keep in an air-tight jar, use as required.

Best Regards,

David

Hi 'CeliacInSanDiego',

Why not make your own gluten-free 'Baking Powder'

Added corn flour is only to stop 'Clumping' (keep it free flowing and dry)

1 Parts Baking Soda

2 Part Cream of Tartar

1 Part Tapioca starch (optional)

Keep in an air-tight jar, use as required.

Best Regards,

David

Thank you both.

David, if I just want to make my "baking powder" real-time, and the recipe calls for 1 tsp baking powder, would you just use 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp cream of tartar, and ok to omit the starch? (Maintains same volume of soda and tartar.)

Rachel

I use equal parts baking soda, tapioca starch, and cream of tarter. I mix it up in a jar and keep it in the cupboard (labeled), then I only have to mix it about once a month. When I want to use it, I shake it up, measure out what I need and stick it back in the cupboard. Works great.

Kathy