This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Using Old Drugs For Art, Does Anyone Know...

ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I know this is somewhat of an odd question but I am in the midst of doing some paintings that are kind of dealing with my celiac history, suffering and anger. We'll get to the healing ones later. :D

In one of these I plan to use old MRI films, Xrays and pills. I still have my pharmacopia from my prediagnosis days, it fills a tackle box :o . I have used an acrylic preservative on the pills, applying several coats and plan to suspend and embed them within the art work. Some of the meds are 'controlled' substances, all are way out of date and were prescribed to me. Can anyone think of any reason I couldn't use them? I would hate to have an issue with the work after it is finished and probably could sub OTC meds but don't think the impact for me will be the same.

Thanks in advance.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

confused Community Regular

I guess it matters what u plan on doing with the artwork once you are done, if it will stay in your house, i see no problem with it, if you plan on showing it at an art exhibit i would use tic tacs or something of that nature or you could do that are exactly alike just one with real pills and one without.

Im really intrigued on your paintings. please share some photos when u are done. It sounds like it will be very theraputeic for you.

paula

gfp Enthusiast

Quite honestly I would use subsitutes ....

Reason.. someone will be offended, someone will complain if its seen in public.

At least you cover yourself this way...

As it happens the British Museum has a huge expo of pills as art!!

Will try and get you a photo ...

Jestgar Rising Star

I don't know about any legal issues, but I would use the real pills. Even a "to-do" about them would draw attention to the excesses of prescription drugs. And I expect that for you, gluing the real thing onto a canvas will be a huge emotional release.

Do the art for the sake of the art, not for the response it might cause.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular
I know this is somewhat of an odd question but I am in the midst of doing some paintings that are kind of dealing with my celiac history, suffering and anger. We'll get to the healing ones later. :D

In one of these I plan to use old MRI films, Xrays and pills. I still have my pharmacopia from my prediagnosis days, it fills a tackle box :o . I have used an acrylic preservative on the pills, applying several coats and plan to suspend and embed them within the art work. Some of the meds are 'controlled' substances, all are way out of date and were prescribed to me. Can anyone think of any reason I couldn't use them? I would hate to have an issue with the work after it is finished and probably could sub OTC meds but don't think the impact for me will be the same.

Thanks in advance.

I think that is a very unique idea almost like your own medical biography only in the way you see it not the whole medical jumbo.

Someone will always be offended too....what ever happened to open minds? eh?

Green12 Enthusiast
I don't know about any legal issues, but I would use the real pills. Even a "to-do" about them would draw attention to the excesses of prescription drugs. And I expect that for you, gluing the real thing onto a canvas will be a huge emotional release.

Do the art for the sake of the art, not for the response it might cause.

I agree with what Jess said.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

If you're concerned withthe legality of it, I would call your local pharmacy and see what they say. I know there's legal/illegal methods of disposal, they know what you're supposed to do with what meds. I would think they would be a good resource

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thanks for all the replies.

After thinking about it some more I think I really need to use the actual pills. I think what I am going to do is have my local frame shop encase it in a box frame, if I should ever decide to show it. When I worked with youth and we had cases or displays of illegal drugs that is what they did. Maybe check with my local PD to be sure. I don't usually show my work, other than glass.

I do most of my art for me, and I never ever sell my paintings. This one in particular deals with the years and years and years of testing and meds thrown at me. Most did more harm than good. Too many of us are all to familiar with that scenario. I still have a hard time dealing with the anger and the sadness of all those lost years and hope that I can resolve some of those feelings.

But as they say, without pain there would be no art.

I'll post them as I get them finished.

GFP, I would love a link to that exhibit if you can find one.

Again thanks all for your input, it is appretiated.

jerseyangel Proficient

I think you made the right decision--I also would love to see your work :D

cruelshoes Enthusiast

Good luck on your painting. I think we all have different ways of working our way through things.

Just one bit of advice, though. If you do decide to use the real thing, make sure it is well out of reach of kids. My Uncle was a Narcotics detective when I was a kid. He had a large board on which he had mounted real meds next to pieces of candy to show how much they can look alike. One day my cousin (age 5 or 6, she couldn't read yet) found the board and started prying the pills off and eating them (may of them looked identical to candy). After a trip to the hospital to have her stomach pumped, he got rid of the board. That was always an entertaining topic of conversation around the table at Christmas. :lol:

elye Community Regular

I am intrigued by your idea...cannot wait to see some photos! I've worked through one or two difficult periods in my life by painting them out on big canvases...it can be very cathartic. Here's a link to Cradle to Grave, at the British Museum:

Open Original Shared Link

gfp Enthusiast
Thanks for all the replies.

After thinking about it some more I think I really need to use the actual pills. I think what I am going to do is have my local frame shop encase it in a box frame, if I should ever decide to show it. When I worked with youth and we had cases or displays of illegal drugs that is what they did. Maybe check with my local PD to be sure. I don't usually show my work, other than glass.

I do most of my art for me, and I never ever sell my paintings. This one in particular deals with the years and years and years of testing and meds thrown at me. Most did more harm than good. Too many of us are all to familiar with that scenario. I still have a hard time dealing with the anger and the sadness of all those lost years and hope that I can resolve some of those feelings.

But as they say, without pain there would be no art.

I'll post them as I get them finished.

GFP, I would love a link to that exhibit if you can find one.

Again thanks all for your input, it is appretiated.

I'll see if I can get over this weekend, its only around the corner.

If its at home then I don't see a problems but I would be very careful about any public showing.

The real problem (from my perspective) is this is the sort of stupid thing that legal systems like to make an example of. They can't touch the criminals dealing illegal drugs but they can make an example of a harmless piece of self expression. Your name in the paper associated with a lot of legal costs might not be the release you are seeking... I'm not saying it would happen .. just if someone has a bee in their bonnet this sort of thing can be very hard to make disappear.

All you need is someone who has a bee in their bonnet (someone who's kid picked up disguarded pharmaceuticals) who's life now revolves around being a busybody on this to make a big fuss....

So keep it at home would be my advice

debmidge Rising Star

If you are in USA you could be violating some obsure, but new FDA law. You need to talk to a lawyer.

Not all pills are created equal: some are Class C which are narcotics - even a mild narcotic like Ambien or Xanax and the C's could post a higher risk for you to have legal troubles. I'd recommend fake pills until you chat with a lawyer. I don't think police would have the correct answer on this one and any answer they give, after you've been arrested the judge would amonish you for not getting an attorney's advice as police cannot take the place of an attorney... At least with the attorney, if he gave you the "ok" and you still got arrested you can sue the attorney for bad advice: you can't sue the police.

I know I am sending the issue into the "extreme case scenario" but stranger things have happened. Remember that expression: The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

gfp Enthusiast
If you are in USA you could be violating some obsure, but new FDA law. You need to talk to a lawyer.

Not all pills are created equal: some are Class C which are narcotics - even a mild narcotic like Ambien or Xanax and the C's could post a higher risk for you to have legal troubles. I'd recommend fake pills until you chat with a lawyer. I don't think police would have the correct answer on this one and any answer they give, after you've been arrested the judge would amonish you for not getting an attorney's advice as police cannot take the place of an attorney... At least with the attorney, if he gave you the "ok" and you still got arrested you can sue the attorney for bad advice: you can't sue the police.

I know I am sending the issue into the "extreme case scenario" but stranger things have happened. Remember that expression: The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Pretty much my feeling ....

Although from my perspective the chance of being found guilty of some obscure FDA law is unlikely BUT the pure cost and hassle of having to deal with it, pay an attorney and go through the process is what I would find offputting.

It always seems to be the "easy examples" which are targetted ...

As a UK judge told the guy he just found guilty last year.. he was extremely sorry to be finding him guilty and thought it was completely unproductive but ....

What did the guy do? Threw some personal post into a public trash bin?

As the judge said, he thought we were meant to be encouraging people to use trash cans not throw litter on the street... yet some busybody went through the trash and found addressed envelopes ....

Is this stupid? IMHO its worse than that but that just seems to be the way of making examples of those with good intentions to try and scare those who habitually have bad ones.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thanks all for your input. I think contacting the family lawyer may be the best way to go, I hadn't even thought of that. I had already decided to leave off the 'true' narcotics but would like to be able to use the other stuff. Boy would this tackle box shock my doctors, since they all thought I was a 'drug searcher' the full bottles of pain meds would surprise them. Depending on what the lawyer says I may go with using the ads for the products out of magazine. Of course that means I have to go out and buy mags but with all the ads for drugs. I shouldn't have a hard time finding them, after all I cancelled many mag subsriptions because they were cover to cover drug ads. I am also thinking about using just the bottles, emptied out of course. In a country that is so drug driven it seems bizarre that I should even have to worry about it. But then again we are the top country in the world for imprisoning our citizens so I do realize caution is the best way to go.

Elye, Thanks for the link. Imagine if one of us was used as an example, they wouldn't have been able to fit the display in the building. LOL

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

SUCH A GREAT IDEA TO SHARE IN ART WORK.

I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING A PHOTO.

THINK YOU SAID IT WOULD BE BEHIND GLASS,,,,,,,,,,GO GIRL

I LOVE IT.

JUDY

home-based-mom Contributor

Usually I tend to err on the side of caution and maybe I'm just being really naive here, but I would think that if you still have the bottles with the labels on them proving you have legal right to be in possession of the medication, and if you are not making the medication available to others, there should not be any legal issues with making them totally inedible and encasing them within a work of art.

debmidge Rising Star
Depending on what the lawyer says I may go with using the ads for the products out of magazine. Of course that means I have to go out and buy mags but with all the ads for drugs. I shouldn't have a hard time finding them, after all I cancelled many mag subsriptions because they were cover to cover drug ads. I am also thinking about using just the bottles, emptied out of course. In a country that is so drug driven it seems bizarre that I should even have to worry about it. But then again we are the top country in the world for imprisoning our citizens so I do realize caution is the best way to go.

Try the drug companies' websites for photos or ads.....or go to public library & look at the Physicans Desk Reference as there are photos in the front and photocopy those photos...

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Hmmmmm......I would not bother contacting a lawyer.....art/creativity is simply expression in any medium - whether one finds it "art" or not is subjective - and people can pretty much use anything.....I say GO FOR IT, and I am absolutely mad for your idea. :)

Archived