Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CeliacMom2008

Rock Or Other Kids Support Group

Do any of you belong to ROCK groups or other support groups for kids? If so, do you find them beneficial for your child? If you don't belong to one, do you think you'd like to? We are new to the Celiac family (Dec. 07). Our son is 8 and doing wonderfully on the diet - both mentally and physically. But I think my son might benefit from a peer group. Just today he said he wished he was "normal." It's the first time he's come even close to complaining about the diagnosis, but I'm sure it isn't the last. I can see that there might be times when he would benefit from someone closer to his age offering words of encouragement. And no one likes to feel like they're alone. I've relied so much on this support group, and I don't even have Celiac. My hubby and I went to a support group meeting last night and it was mostly older adults. I found it very helpful, but I know my son would've been bored. I envision a casual, activity related environment where kids could just get to know other kids with Celiac and ask questions.

So, any thoughts?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

We regularly attend our local ROCK group. All the kids are roughly the same age. We meet at the local Whole Foods in their community room, occasionally at a restaurant that is gluten-free sensitive and once a year we have a big potluck which is so great for the kids. It is the best thing to see the look on their little faces when they walk into the kitchen and can eat anything they see. The meetings are good for the parents too. We talk about products we've tried, issues we're having, etc.. it's nice to sit and talk face to face with people who are going thru the same thing you are. Every time I come home with some new tip, recipe, restaurant, etc.. to help us on this day to day journey. The kids always have some sort of craft project to keep them busy (we all take turns bringing something) as well as some sort of treat-I'm usually the baker. Last year for each meeting, we did a recipe exchange. There was a theme for the meeting-dessert, main dish, side..... and we'd all bring our favorite and share with the others. I've made some great friends as has my daughter! I'd at least try it once and see how your local chapter works.

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

Join eNewsletter

Thanks, Rachelle!

We don't have a local ROCk group - just the adult support group. I was actually thinking of trying to start one. As a newbie I don't feel exactly "qualified" to be a "Celiac leader", but I am confident I could handle the organization part. I own a small business and am a very active volunteer in our community, so that part sounds OK. At the support group meeting we attended last night, the co-leaders are both long time Celiacs (15 years) and seemed like such experts. I'm still trying to figure a lot of it out and feel more confident asking questions than answering! None the less, in the few short months I've been a Celiac mommy I've seen a need for more awareness of the disease and support for the young Celiacs. It's just a little intimidating...

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter