This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Candida Overgrowth

holdthegluten

holdthegluten Rising Star

I was just curious as to if anyone here has cleared their candida problem and now feel symptom free and great again. Just curious.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
loraleena Contributor

I would love to hear from someone on this too.

aprilh Apprentice

Usually a candida problem is just a symptom of a bigger underlying condition. Something is impairing your immune system enough to allow the candida to flourish.

I am 80% better than I was, but I still have work to do. I still have heavy metals to get out.

I do know someone on another board who is pretty much cured. It can be done, I think, as long as all the underlying issues are addressed.

moldlady Rookie

April you said a mouthful in a short brief post!!! :)

We have been on antifungals and eating that way for 8 years now.

Detoxing from heavy metals (2 years now )... always for the rest of my life.

And now no gluten.

I can't say that I'm cured ....yet ......but have avoided any nasty diagnosis and two surgeries by eating this way and taking supplements. Just don't get sick at all (no colds or flu), so I know my immune system is strong but there is still a remnant of fungus still hanging around that has to be worked on and some heavy metals too. But overall so much better!!

And, continue to get better in ways that surprises: I shoveled snow yesterday and I could not do that at all without multiple pains here and there in the past.

So, If you are asking in your question: Has any one ever gotten cured?......... the real question is..... Is it worth it?

I would say "yes" if you want to avoid getting worse and you can get better slowly over time and avoid serious surgeries and many office visits.

Good luck to you on this journey to health,

ML :)

lorka150 Collaborator

I would (knock on wood), say about 95% cured.

Healthy Girl Explorer

Hi.

I apologize, I can't remember where I read this but was told that it never is cured!! You always have some of the bad bacteria, that is why it is know to come back, and that is why it is best to avoid most of those foods that can be a culprit.

I also heard that it is best to be strict for at least a year with the diet, etc.

Again, forgot where I read this---wish I could be of more help.

Amy

scotty Explorer

i'm still quite new to handling THE BEAST, but i have come to find out that problematic foods on the list(s) give me problems. and "safe" foods give me problems. while at the same time problem foods work and safe foods work; but i have also found that all in one way or another when they commix give me candida; while sometimes they don't (when i have only safe foods from "my" list in my belly). i just notice that "flares" occur from certain foods like carbs when certain foods like veggies which my body won't tolerate for some reason are in there as well; which drives me insane trying to figure out which came first: the carb development or the veggie flare. on top of that, i can't find a damn thing that i can say confidently works continously since i am always searching for other foods to keep a good variety digesting through. everything effects me!!!! at some point and it has a different taste almost. evrytime i eat things give me wicked energy, or give me terrible D. or things make me sluggish or produce no BMs. and i wish i did not know about candida and bacteria and the multiple levels and the requirement for detox. i wish i could just go to the fields and forests like a dumb caveman, pick the bushes and avoid the red berries cuz the blue ones dont give me indigestion. i wish it were that simple. and unfortunately my "bush" has run out of cauliflower and they are only carrying the "red" fish at the moment so today is the last day i have of "blue" fish. and all the other cave people give me ignorant looks as i unload the same stuff from the basket every few days onto the machine. but the ones in this office are about to curl there noses at the smell this place carries at this same time everyday; and poor me.....they have the ability to communicate their complaints. and i can only so much today that i am fixing from yesterday that i will try to cleanse out tomorow. and i'm not really looking forward to the future i am going to have to go through just to have a future that i am going to be able to have.

ok i'm done---thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mama2two Enthusiast

I have had issues with yeast for about two years, I have been on anti fungals since then and tried to follow the diet, but it has always reoccurred. I recently went gluten-free, since we figure that my daughter got her celiac gene from me since we know that my husband does not have it, and I learned that many people with celiac disease have trouble with yeast, so I have been gluten free, and not yeast. I am still taking antifungals but lately I have been eating sugar and no yeast. I know that I am playing russian roulette (sp), but if I get yeast I will lay off the sugar and treat it like always. So I hope that I have found the real problem to my chronic yeast. Being gluten free is much easier than being sugar free.

• 1 month later...
CuriousOne Apprentice

A week ago I read about how SBO's eat yeast and bad bacteria.

And I realized it made sense that most of humanity we have been eating plants from the ground... but only until recently do we wash everything, destroy the microbial content of soil with pesticides and artificial fertilizers, and just alot of stuff...

So I started drinking a pinch of good organic soil twice a day, as well as starting eating vegetation from the ground (wild or garden) everyday...

2 days into that I noticed that I couldn't see any yeast strands in my eyes (you know when you looking into a light)

And a week later (this morning) my stool was white.

So I'm thinking my gut is colonized with SBO's now like it should. They are eating the yeast. And the dead yeast is coming out in my stools.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but if I'm right this is EXTREMELY EXCITING.

Oh yeah. About 3 weeks ago I started eating pretty much paleo style, but really that way the last week also. So I'm possibly

A - not giving the yeast much to survive on, and

B - tremendously increasing my good bacteria, who's job it is to kill off this stuff in the first place!

pele Rookie
A week ago I read about how SBO's eat yeast and bad bacteria.

So I started drinking a pinch of good organic soil twice a day, as well as starting eating vegetation from the ground (wild or garden) everyday...

What are SBOs? I'm sure its obvious but I'm drawing a blank...

And are you concerned about nematods and other organisms in the soil? I often eat stuff straight from the garden, and recently have eaten fresh dandelion greens without washing. I just kind of wipe them off, but I wonder if it's a good idea.

RiceGuy Collaborator

As far as my experience goes, completely curing is certainly possible. I actually learned of intestinal yeast overgrowth before discovering the whole gluten thing.

Interesting scotty, that you called it the beast, as that was my term for it too!

Anyway, what I did to get rid of the yeasty beasties, was to first eliminate all sources of sugar, yeasts and vinegars from my diet, including fresh fruits. Plus I started taking caprylic acid capsules. Within two weeks I felt a big difference, and in the following weeks it was like I had a new body! I remained off all fruit for several months, and eventually I would test with an apple or banana, etc. Eventually I was able to handle normal amounts of fruits without any problems.

Yes, there was a withdrawal period, and the first two weeks were really not fun to say the least, but I was determined to get through it once and for all. So it does take some willpower. I'm guessing that a slower die-off would be more manageable than a quick one.

Today I still do not use ANY refined sugars. No honey, syrups, or anything like that. No yeast breads, and no still vinegars either. I don't know how important the vinegar thing is, but I haven't had any recipes that actually needed it anyway. I use Open Original Shared Link for a sweetener. That company has a free sample offer too.

I don't know if this matters, but I never drink coffee, soda, or alcohol. Never have either.

dbmamaz Explorer
I don't know how important the vinegar thing is, but I haven't had any recipes that actually needed it anyway.

I did a bunch of testing and reacted to almost everything, including Candida on the A.L.C.A.T test and yeast on the allergy test. I was a gourmet cook who loved variety, and now I can only eat 25 foods. I have struggled to reduce my sugar intake, but I cant eliminate it - i have always been a total addict, and now there are SO few foods I can eat at all.

However, grapes were on my safe list, so I was using wine vinegar as a seasoning, on salads, etc. It took a while, but I finally put together a connection between the vinegar and the green slime coming out of me. I really never believed this whole yeast thing (other than acknowledging that i'd had chronic yeast infections since I was on antibiotics for acne for 2 years), but I'm starting to see a connection here . .. maybe i'll test it again some time, but the green slime was really worrying me. I actually saw something more recently on line that said green poo indicates an infection in the gut . .. i guess maybe that includes yeast infection in the gut?

dbmamaz Explorer
What are SBOs? I'm sure its obvious but I'm drawing a blank...

And are you concerned about nematods and other organisms in the soil? I often eat stuff straight from the garden, and recently have eaten fresh dandelion greens without washing. I just kind of wipe them off, but I wonder if it's a good idea.

SBOs are soil based organisms, she posted about it elsewhere. Eating unwashed things from the soil is the primary way to get pinworms, which my kids and I have all had before and I dont particularly want again. I figure probiotics are a slightly safer way to get 'good germs' in me.

twinflame2 Rookie

:( I am just about a month on the anti fungal medication and two different pro biotic culture supplements. I have a long way to go but already I am feeling a little stronger with more energy.

That could be from staying on the gluten free diet and taking the special vitamins I have been in addition to what I am doing above.

Good Luck and hang in there!

Yellow Rose Explorer

Lorka,

What were your symptoms and how did you cure it and how long did it take?

Yellow Rose

Caletara Newbie

I sure hope I can kick the candida. Yeast came back very high on my ELISA blood test, higher than the gluten and wheat. Eliminating those has had a profound impact on my symptoms(they've pretty much stopped). My doc seems to want to wait on doing anything for the Candida for me, maybe until I get stronger and heal my gut more? I haven't changed my diet since eliminating the gluten/wheat, is it possible to kick t he candida just by getting stronger and without diet changes/meds?

Guest tamedandfoxed
I sure hope I can kick the candida. Yeast came back very high on my ELISA blood test, higher than the gluten and wheat. Eliminating those has had a profound impact on my symptoms(they've pretty much stopped). My doc seems to want to wait on doing anything for the Candida for me, maybe until I get stronger and heal my gut more? I haven't changed my diet since eliminating the gluten/wheat, is it possible to kick t he candida just by getting stronger and without diet changes/meds?

What is this ELISA blood test? is it like an allergy panel?

As far as killing candida without diet changes--no. As long as you are continuing to feed the yeast (sugar, starch, vinegar, alcohol, caffeine, molds) then you are only going to strengthen the bad bacteria. I felt tons better immediately after getting rid of gluten. it lasted for maybe 2 weeks and then i got an infection and haven't been able to kick it since. this diet is HARD. and definitely research before you start-- there's tons of info on the OMG thread. and i can answer some questions for you. I would certainly start by eliminating obvious sources of sugar, honey, syrup, sweeteners, etc. there are substitutes which are okay, stevia is not one of my favorite flavors--but agave nectur is said to be good. just don't go overboard. maybe you could ease into it by buying yeast-free bread. i know knikknik makes a decent brand.

good luck and let me know if i can be of use! :)

~Katy

Rachel--24 Collaborator

The diet is necessary for keeping the yeast under control. However, if the situation is chronic the problem is not likely to resolve with diet/antifungal treatment alone.

Yeast doesnt overgrow w/out cause. If it persists there is a reason that its happening....something is allowing for it to thrive (something other than sugar). Obviously sugar fuels it but the overgrowth itself is a symptom that something is not right within the body.

The diet should not be life-long....and under normal circumstances yeast should not be difficult to treat. Its part of the intestinal environment....it belongs there. If it has a strong foothold and is difficult to keep under control....its because there's an underlying issue which is making that possible.

Personally, I have not seen people recover from chronic yeast without addressing the underlying cause. The diet can "manage" it....but I do not believe that its a "cure".

Many Dr.'s who are knowledgeable about yeast understand that its a symptom and while addressing it they will also look for the things that are most commonly associated with causing the overgrowth to begin with.

An example of this is Autism. Many of these kids have yeast issues...and while it IS important to address it....it is not a cure. The yeast is only a problem because of the other things going on in the body.

Its not any different for adults. Look for the root cause...what is it that is weakening the immune system? When you treat the underlying cause the yeast is suddenly not such a concern...the immune system handles it on its own.

Ken70 Apprentice
The diet is necessary for keeping the yeast under control. However, if the situation is chronic the problem is not likely to resolve with diet/antifungal treatment alone.

Yeast doesnt overgrow w/out cause. If it persists there is a reason that its happening....something is allowing for it to thrive (something other than sugar). Obviously sugar fuels it but the overgrowth itself is a symptom that something is not right within the body.

The diet should not be life-long....and under normal circumstances yeast should not be difficult to treat. Its part of the intestinal environment....it belongs there. If it has a strong foothold and is difficult to keep under control....its because there's an underlying issue which is making that possible.

Personally, I have not seen people recover from chronic yeast without addressing the underlying cause. The diet can "manage" it....but I do not believe that its a "cure".

Many Dr.'s who are knowledgeable about yeast understand that its a symptom and while addressing it they will also look for the things that are most commonly associated with causing the overgrowth to begin with.

An example of this is Autism. Many of these kids have yeast issues...and while it IS important to address it....it is not a cure. The yeast is only a problem because of the other things going on in the body.

Its not any different for adults. Look for the root cause...what is it that is weakening the immune system? When you treat the underlying cause the yeast is suddenly not such a concern...the immune system handles it on its own.

My candida came bacck over the best several days. I thought I had it under control but apparently not. I am able to control it within a couple of days with anti fungals and strict diet but now I feel like I'm standing in the middle of the road waiting to get run over again. Give me some ideas about where to look for the underlying cause of this please. I have no fillings so heavy metal toxicity isn't likely or is it, I have dear ticks all around my yard so lyme is a possibility but I would think I would show some signs. Is there anything else that could be causing this?

CuriousOne Apprentice

I think one cause could be lack of sufficient darkness. Its only been recently that we have had electric lights... so we stay up later, get less sleep...let alone in good darkness like we used to. Coincidentally we lose out on a good amount of melatonin production every single night. Read the book Lights Out, its amazing. Also check out photoperiodeffect.com...

When I was putting candles on at 7pm (with no other light source), I found myself going to bed early every night. Coincidentally I never felt so good in my life. Gluten/candida...all that stuff wasn't even in the picture. I think sleep is the most powerful rejuvenator of our immune systems...

But I think to really get it right you have to do it like we always did it... going to sleep with the rhythmn of the sun/moon... and not sleeping with any source of EMF, wheather it be light or anything else...

Its almost an art form nowadays to sleep well...but for 99.9% of our time on earth (before lightbulb)...it was just a given.

AliB Enthusiast

I too felt better for a few days around 2 weeks after dropping the gluten and dairy but I too went down with a virus which knocked me flat and have not been able to pick back up. I have have Candida problems for years.

It is part of the gut flora and should be there as it is part of the digestive process. It only becomes a problem when something within the body becomes unbalanced and the Candida is then in an environment that encourages it to proliferate.

It is never completely eradicated. It is purely a process of management and control and finding out what the triggers are. Certainly a high-sugar, high-carb diet will encourage it but there may be other factors involved.

I am thinking of getting a hair analysis test done to see if I can ascertain any deficiencies or imbalances in my mineral and vitamin levels. Due to the gut damage all of us with gluten intolerance will have a certain amount of malabsorption issues and low levels of certain nutrients can impact on the body's ability to function.

For instance, a lack of zinc and other minerals can apparently allow copper to overload (especially if we are addicted to chocolate!) and that can apparently exacerbate Candida, cause fatigue, and inhibit the liver from discharging it and other toxic substances including metals from itself and the body in general.

Everything has a knock on effect with everything else. I thought, well it's good to take supplements, but what if I am taking not enough of some and too much of others? The hair analysis is only a guideline as we are all different (and the people they use as controls may also be suffering with unknown imbalances!!!) but I thought it might be a good way to start. Anyone else had any experience of this?

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Everything has a knock on effect with everything else. I thought, well it's good to take supplements, but what if I am taking not enough of some and too much of others? The hair analysis is only a guideline as we are all different (and the people they use as controls may also be suffering with unknown imbalances!!!) but I thought it might be a good way to start. Anyone else had any experience of this?

I have some experience with this.

I would recommend not only a hair analysis but also a red blood cell test for elements. They are both useful for determining imbalances.

A hair analysis is also very good for determining whether or not mercury is an underlying factor. It generally doesnt show up in the hair analysis (unless there is significant recent exposure) but it can leave a "tell-tale" sign in the results of the essential minerals.

If you have alot of imbalances....the good minerals are skewed with some being high and others low....its a good indicator of mercury toxicity. Mercury messes up the mineral transport system in the body...which basically means that the minerals dont get into the cells and they arent utilized as they would be under normal circumstances.

You might see high calcium in a hair analysis but it doesnt necessarily mean you're getting enough....you could actually be deficient. If mercury interferes with mineral transport (which it is known to do) minerals may build up and show up in higher levels in the hair. You would also see deficiencies in some minerals if mercury is an issue.

If the essential minerals in a hair analysis are NOT skewed...then mercury is not a problem. In that case if any other toxic metal shows up elevated...that metal would be a problem on its own. Other toxic metals are not known to interfere with mineral transport....only mercury does that.

A red blood cell test can provide more input as to what minerals are elevated or deficient.

Mercury and other metals are also huge underlying factors for chronic candida.

Its true that elevated copper can cause plenty of problems on its own...and its also true that mercury significantly impairs copper metabolism....which usually will result in high copper.

One thing leads to the next and all body systems can be affected.

I agree that checking the minerals/toxic metals is a good place to start.

AliB Enthusiast

How would we know if they were skewed or not?

Rachel--24 Collaborator
How would we know if they were skewed or not?

When you look at the results of the hair analysis if several of the essential minerals are out of whack (out of the reference range) that is more indicative of mercury toxicity than anything else. It shows that mercury is interfering with they way minerals are transported within the body.

If the minerals are skewed they are all over the place. If they are not skewed they are within the reference range showing that mineral transport is fine and that mercury is not a problem.

This page explains it pretty well...but the "counting rules" discussed here are based on the Doctors Data hair analysis report only. Doctor's Data is probably one of the better labs for the hair analysis.

Open Original Shared Link

You'll get more out of having the test done if you have a good understanding of how to interpret the results. Its not always straightforward.

As previously mentioned if the minerals are all out of whack this suggests a mineral transport problem so if you see something like high calcium.....it doesnt mean you have too much. You might have too much circulating with nowhere to go...but you would likely be deficient because its not getting into the cells.

If thats the case and impaired mineral transport is causing imbalances the only way to really correct that so that the minerals are back in balance is to get the mercury out of the body.

dbmamaz Explorer
If thats the case and impaired mineral transport is causing imbalances the only way to really correct that so that the minerals are back in balance is to get the mercury out of the body.

BUt then what caused that? Does it ever end? Cant we just eat healthy and excersize? lol

Archived