Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alternative mama

How Far Between Exposure & Dh Breakout?

Does anyone know how long it takes from the time of gluten exposure to the time of DH breakout? Does it happen right away? Can it be delayed a day or more?

I'm just trying to figure out what it getting me.

Also....how long does it take DH to go away after gluten has stopped?

Officially diagnosed Nov 2007

DH, osteoporosis, anemia

kidney & parathyroid problems

gluten-free since 2004 except for hidden gluten

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Does anyone know how long it takes from the time of gluten exposure to the time of DH breakout? Does it happen right away? Can it be delayed a day or more?

My mom seems to have a reaction later on the same day--along with depression and mental confusion. Often for me my reaction is delayed by 24 hours, why I don't know. I have forgotten how long it took the DH to go away however it took me 3 months before my nails hardened etc. after becoming gluten free--minus of course the hidden glutens I didn't know about until recently.

Yolo

Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

Join eNewsletter

For me it depends on the exposure. If I accidently inhale flour or breading in a kitchen, I can break out in as short a time as 15 minutes. If I east something supposedly gluten-free or get some accidental cross contamination, it can take a few hours. Depending on the amount i'm exposed too, it seems to vary the severity of the dh and stomach ache.

Hope you cn figure it out

ken

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

My experience has been that it can be within 24 hours, sometimes if I get enough it will occur within minutes but that hasn't happened in a few years. I also get hit with a deep 24 hour depression followed by a couple of weeks of anxiety. Ususally the gut stuff hits me 2 to 3 days after exposure. I should also note that after a couple of years gluten free so many of the antibodies had left my skin that I now get only one or two very tiny little blisters that heal within a week. Before that the blisters would be severe and last over a month.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

From what I can tell I THINK my reactions are pretty much within 24hrs but I'm just questioning my latest breakout. I'm guessing it was just CC that got me but it happened in so many different places on my body- UG! I've noticed that my other breakouts seem to linger for weeks and just wondered if this was normal.

Does anything else make DH breakout other than gluten? I stay clear of iodine b/c I'm allergic.

Officially diagnosed Nov 2007

DH, osteoporosis, anemia

kidney & parathyroid problems

gluten-free since 2004 except for hidden gluten

Join eNewsletter

I seem to blister up with table salt or if I take ibuprofen. Not sure how long they last....looooong time. Seems I 'm still forever getting isolated blisters popping up here and there.

GOD IS GREAT, GOD IS GOOD, THANK YOU FOR OUR GLUTEN-FREE FOOD!

MUSIC IS THE BREATH OF LIFE

Theresa

Join eNewsletter

I seem to blister up with table salt or if I take ibuprofen. Not sure how long they last....looooong time. Seems I 'm still forever getting isolated blisters popping up here and there.

i also blister usually in about 15 min to 1hr. Watch table salt or anything with iodine in it , I have heard celiac people are sensitive to iodine. sistergoldenhair

Join eNewsletter

My mom seems to have a reaction later on the same day--along with depression and mental confusion. Often for me my reaction is delayed by 24 hours, why I don't know. I have forgotten how long it took the DH to go away however it took me 3 months before my nails hardened etc. after becoming gluten free--minus of course the hidden glutens I didn't know about until recently.

Yolo

With me, I can break out within 30-90 minutes from exposure; however, I continue to break out in additional blisters over the next 3-4 days. The darned things last about 4-6 weeks before they completely heal. I get them on my face and soles of my feet. The feet tend to heal in 7-10 days, but my face always seems to take forever.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter