This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dog (pet) Shampoo

jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin Rising Star

My dog has been itching a lot lately (he doesn't have fleas, mites, ect); and before I start switching his food to see if that's the cause, I want to try some sort of shampoo that can possibly help with the itching. (His breed very rarely has food allergies, so I really think it is more likely just topical - atleast I'm hoping).

I know oats are safe for us... but uncontaminated oats. Do any of you use oatmeal shampoos for your pets?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

My husband and I have used in the past Pro-Pet Natural Oatmeal Shampoo (can get at Target or WalMart). After I went gluten free though I was iffy on using the Oatmeal on our dogs b/c when they shake and the water/soap gets on you. We switched over to Hartz brand -- Infusions Moisturizing Vitamin Shampoo. So far it seems to be good for both of our dogs. I haven't called to check out any of the ingredients but from what I read it looks okay. The Oatmeal one though we stopped using b/c of the oatmeal in it.

Growing up my family had a couple of Golden Ret. that had itchy or dry skin. The vet had special shampoo that they could buy (pricey though). I remember hearing from my parents that the shampoo from the vet was in a small bottle and seemed to go quickly so they found stuff at the store to buy that worked out.

I have read on other threads that some people use human or baby shampoo that they feel is safe or natural for their dogs. I haven't tried this but just a thought.

If you end up switching dog food. I know from our experience with our small dog (he use to be very picky on his dog food) the Vet said if we tried a new food we should put a little of the old in for a couple of days so their body made the transfer better and didn't get upset.

GOOD LUCK :)

Michelle1234 Contributor

We don't use oatmeal shampoo but I thought I would relate our experiences. We have 3 dogs (15, 10 and 3 yrs old) so these events are not all at the same time.

My hands would get red and irritated using a high end hypoallergenic shampoo. I switched to Johnson's baby shampoo. Now when I pet my dogs, no reaction. My groomer said it was fine since dog's Ph levels are similar to humans. It is also no tears which is good for the dogs. I checked with Johnson's and Johnson's and they verified that it was gluten free so now I use it for myself also. I do tend to react (not a gluten reaction, just a sensitivity) to alot of chemicals that are in shampoos so have to be careful what I pick for myself and the dogs.

Our middle dog developed a skin allergy a few years ago. I thought it was a new dog treat (a dry treat that was to treat plaque on teeth). I discontinued that and it cleared up. (The vet had recommended the treat and did not think it was the cause but since discontinuing it worked I think it was.) We feed a raw, no grain dog food (Nature's Variety) so the likely hood of other allergens in the general food is greatly reduced.

Your vet may have a prescription to help the skin heal. I don't remember if our vet gave us something. However fish oil is good to help with dry itchy skin. We feed a pet store product but you can feed human product if you figure out the dosage.

Based on your post I think that your dog likely has a food allergy. Good luck figuring it out!

Michelle

larry mac Enthusiast

As you can see, we have a mini-Schnauzer, Phoebe Buffey, about 4 years old . She's had a scratching behind the ears habit for a few years, not real bad, just a little irritating (to me). I think it's just that, a habit. But I don't know much about dogs. It hasn't affected her hair or skin, that I can tell. Our vet provided us with some expensive shampoo & cream rinse. Virbac animal health dermatology Pyroben & Epi-soothe. I alternate between that and some Premium brand natural oatmeal shampoo I got at Walmart. I haven't really been able to tell that it makes any difference.

I just looked at the ingredients of the prescription cream rinse and it also has collodial oatmeal in it. I personally think it's a little ridiculous to worry about the miniscule amount of gluten that could possibly be in the oatmeal shampoo (which you rinse out anyway) from potential cross-contamination, which would then have to be ingested by me. I mean, I would have to lick my dogs hair a lot. But then, I think a lot of things are ridiculous, there may be something wrong with me B) . Now if you have DH that might be a different story. I don't have DH and none of the other posters have said if they do.

Or, If you had an unexplained glutening problem and were searching for any possibilities.

best regards, lm

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

We've owned Labs for many years including a few with very severe skin allergies. We live on a farm and they love helping out around the house and that's awesome except they live in the house! We've tried all of the dog shampoos (including Epi-Smooth) and the best ones for our dogs are the people shampoos that we use - Pantene 2 in 1 and Garnier Fruticis shampoo and conditioner. We rub them down with Bag Balm after their bath and it does wonders for their skin issues. You can stop just about any skin irritation with a few coats of Bag Balm. It's a little greasy but really works and beats antibiotics and predinisone. There is also a supplement called Open Original Shared Link that is great for skin issues.

BTW - I don't have DH but my skin definitely changes when it's exposed to gluten - my hands get dry and flaky and I break out and noticed issues in the past after bathing dogs with Epi-smooth.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Thanks all. I didn't have DH before being gluten free, so I'm not to conerned about that. And as Larry said, I understand that the risk of cross contamintion with an oatmeal shampoo is very small, but you never know, and I just figured I would get a general consensus of what some others use or do before trying it.

We did use Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo on him for a short time, but decided to switch to a puppy shampoo because we'd read that for his breed it can be to drying even when watered down. The bag balm is a great idea, but again, because he is a long haired dog, I don't think we could use something on him that would make him greasy. His hair is actual like human hair, it's not fur like other dogs.

Hopefully the shampoo will make a difference for him :)

Archived