Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CeliacMom2008

Cotton Candy And Sno Cones - Gluten Free?

Our school carnival is coming up. We live in a fairly small community and the carnival is a big deal. In previous years we've eaten supper at the carnival. This is our first year gluten-free, and we have no intention of eating a meal there, but they are having a sno cone machine and cotton candy (pre-packaged, not made on sight). Does anyone know anything about sno cone syrup or cotton candy and whether or not there is a chance they're gluten free? I'll still track down a label, but I won't bother if you more experienced parents already know they are not safe.

It's so odd how life changes - I used to be the "healthy food" mom. Now I'm actually working to allow him things like cotton candy! B)

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I don't know WHY cotton candy (being spun sugar, and food coloring) would have gluten in it, but as for the sno-cones, what we have done for carnivals is bring a syrup we've verified ahead of time as gluten-free (or you can make syrup from drink mix!) and then asked for a "naked" cone. Then we add our gluten-free syrup!

now if they could make sno-cones in non-staining colors.....

Mom/wife to celiacs dx 12/03 and 12/04

Success is never final and failure never fatal. It's courage that counts -George Tilton

Join eNewsletter

now if they could make sno-cones in non-staining colors.....

I know, the red and grape ones are the worst....they stain countertops horribly...we have a homemade snow cone machine and my husband orders bulk snow cone syrup...usually the Root Beer....it makes such horrible stains on the counter.

Cotton Candy is usually safe. I eat it all the time in the summer....I could go for some right now.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter