Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FlourShopGirl

Something Worse Than Celiac?

I feel like I have something worse than Celiac. As I watched Oprah a few days ago a woman commented on Dr. Oz and how she had constant diarrhea & blood in stool. She went to the doctor's and at 32 found out she had colon cancer, stage 3. Scary! After I gave birth to my kids, they were both HUGE babies (my daughter was over 9 pounds), I got hemmroids which I would consider severe. Here and there after a bowel movement I see red. Maybe twice a year but those are also hurting at the same time. I didn't think too much of it until I heard of the lady who got colon cancer at my age. I'm three and 1/2 week into this diet with NO results and chronic diarrhea. I eat and 10-20 minutes later use the restroom 3-4 times. Should I be concerned? I've always had stomach problems but now I thinking I have something worse. I would have thought this diet would be working for me by now and my husband says I am not giving it a chance. :(

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You are only a few weeks into the diet. It can take much longer for you to recover, depending on the extent of the damage to your system and your age. Many of us saw improvement in just days, and others took weeks or months.

Keep strictly to the gluten-free diet. Yes, there may be something more serious, but I would give it at least another month to see if the diet is working. Your husband is right that this can take more time.

I was in severe distress after several years of undiagnosed and uncontrolled celiac disease. I had explosive diarrhea, malabsorption, anemia, and other problems. It took about four months for most things to return to normal. My bones are still weak (osteoporosis) after more than six years gluten-free.

Things will get better for you. Stay gluten-free.

I've been there. If there is anything I can help you with, just ask. You can post a question here, or send me a PM.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

If there's still blood, you need to call your dr!!! I always tell my patients to ere on the side of caution-better safe than sorry. I have yet to see a dr. angry/upset to rule out a heart attack. I can't imagine one to be upset to rule out colon cancer. If there's no blood, maybe wait. BUT if this is going to be weighing on your mind for the next month, call your dr. and request a colonoscopy. Blood in the stool usually gets their attention pretty quick!!

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

Join eNewsletter

I feel like I have something worse than Celiac. As I watched Oprah a few days ago a woman commented on Dr. Oz and how she had constant diarrhea & blood in stool. She went to the doctor's and at 32 found out she had colon cancer, stage 3. Scary! After I gave birth to my kids, they were both HUGE babies (my daughter was over 9 pounds), I got hemmroids which I would consider severe. Here and there after a bowel movement I see red. Maybe twice a year but those are also hurting at the same time. I didn't think too much of it until I heard of the lady who got colon cancer at my age. I'm three and 1/2 week into this diet with NO results and chronic diarrhea. I eat and 10-20 minutes later use the restroom 3-4 times. Should I be concerned? I've always had stomach problems but now I thinking I have something worse. I would have thought this diet would be working for me by now and my husband says I am not giving it a chance. :(

I would definately give your doc a call but also relax. I used to get bloody diarrhea when I was younger and was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis along with my ibs. I don't get diarrhea anymore as long as I stay gluten free. Give the diet a chance, it take some months to a year to heal but as long as your careful with cross contamination etc. you will see improvements along the way.

Kathy

Gluten free 3/08

Negative blood work/positive endoscopy

Fructose Malabsorption

Soy free

Join eNewsletter

Hi

Been through rectal bleeding (my husband has celiac not me) but I have had internal and external hemmorroids AND rectal fissures that bled. This can be fixed outpatient. But please see a gastro for colonoscopy and he'll tell you if you need to see just a protologist for hemmorroids.....chances are that is all it is....but don't take it lightly.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Join eNewsletter

I have the internal and external. After the birth of my son 12 years ago, I got them pretty bad. I was upset being so young and I wanted to get them removed. I would read on the net how much trouble and pain it was to get them removed though and it turned me off. i only get this about twice a year but the blood is scary where I question it.

I really appreciated the answers here. I feel discouraged from the diet sometimes, I am one of those instant gratification sort of people even though I can't expect that. It's just frustrating to use the restrooms 10 times a day and barely make it. I think an internal exam could rule out a bunch of stuff though so I might as well go.

Join eNewsletter

I have the internal and external. After the birth of my son 12 years ago, I got them pretty bad. I was upset being so young and I wanted to get them removed. I would read on the net how much trouble and pain it was to get them removed though and it turned me off. i only get this about twice a year but the blood is scary where I question it.

I really appreciated the answers here. I feel discouraged from the diet sometimes, I am one of those instant gratification sort of people even though I can't expect that. It's just frustrating to use the restrooms 10 times a day and barely make it. I think an internal exam could rule out a bunch of stuff though so I might as well go.

Have you eliminated dairy as well? We often need to in the beginning to heal and may remain symptomatic if it is not eliminated. Also have you checked all meds, toiletries, are you the only one at home that is gluten-free? That really makes CC very likely.

I agree with your husband that you need to give it a bit more time, also eliminate the dairy for at least a month and be aware that you may experience more anxiety and moodiness during the first month or two. In addition, the mucous membranes reation to gluten can make hemmies really bad. They will likely fade the longer you are gluten free. If you are really bothered about the thought of colon cancer then do contact your GI doctor and see if he thinks a scope is warrented.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter