Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BemLmom3

Omg Quaker Rice Cakes?

I just went on the Quaker rice cake website and clicked on the FAQ's and found the following:

Q. Do Quaker Rice Snacks contain gluten?

A. We understand that individuals sensitive to gluten cannot digest even trace amounts of gluten. To date, the Food and Drug Administration has not defined the term "gluten free." Since so many of our products contain grain ingredients and many products are made in the same facility, we cannot guarantee that any particular product is entirely free of gluten.

Brand new to the gluten-free diet for son and myself as of 4 days ago. We both were feeling great after only 3 days of being gluten-free.

He discovered that I bought Quaker Rice Ranch flavored Quakes, which according to an internet site is supposedly okay. He ate them on the hour long trip to children's gastro and fell asleep within an hour--complete opposite of the day before when I knew he had been gluten-free for 3 straight days.

On way home, both of us were munching these heavenly bites. We both needed sleep and both of us were down for the count this morning. :blink:

So....after reading all of the entries, I'm leaning to the idea that Quakes are not gluten-free. ;)

They may not use gluten as their ingredients in their rice cakes, but the risk for cross contamination with Quaker products are high.

Lundbergs are like styrofoam. My dog loves them because pieces fall off as I munch them and of course any dog loves anything that is a carrier for peanut butter. I just think they are messy. I have not had trouble with the Quaker Rice Cakes but I think I am not as sensitive as some other posters. The peanut butter chocolate flavor is good with peanut butter and... you guessed it... chocolate chips. I have also liked the Meijer store brand in many flavors and rice chips are super with hummus. Can't think of the brand on those...

I like PB & J on toasted corn tortillas, yum. On apples I like peanut dip.

1 cup peanut butter

1 brick cream cheese

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup milk or a substitute

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

My DH is hooked on the dip w/ bananas!