Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sweet butterfly

Diagnosis And Treatment Without Insurance

Hi,

I am between college and grad school and do not have insurance now (just high-deductible that does not cover anything below $5,000). I should have good insurance starting this summer.

I have not ever been tested for celiac/gluten-sensitivity, but I have serious reactions to even a small amount of gluten, mainly depression, irritability, and deep, dark circles under my eyes for a few days afterwards.

I've been trying to eat Gluten-free for about 6 months, but lately, I am having symptoms, perhaps from foods labeled as Gluten-free even though they are not, or from something undetermined.

I think I would benefit from having an Enterolab test, maybe York labs tests, etc., to see a) whether I am sensitive, B) if so, how am I doing on the Gluten-free diet, and c) if I am allergic to anything else.

Then I am thinking about going to a naturopath a few times to help me make a treatment plan.

I don't know of any doctors I can go to in the Cambridge, MA area for less than $200.

Additionally, my parents divorced recently and neither wants to pay for anything for me, and besides that, they are extremely careful with money.

Any advice on:

1) what affordable-without-insurance steps I can take before I have normal insurance?

2) how to explain to my parents why those tests/steps are necessary? they are reluctant to pay for anything.

Thanks!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Right,

I normally do very well on Gluten-free diet and noticed improvements as soon as I started it (namely, I was able to stop taking antidepressants and had better mental focus).

Also, there is a very close connection between my eating gluten and having my symptoms return, so I think I am allergic to gluten; just not sure by what means or to what extent, and not sure how my villi, Igs, etc are.

Join eNewsletter

I think you already have your answer. I read it in your post: you feel better on a gluten-free diet, and problems return when you ingest gluten.

You don't need a doctor, a biopsy, or a blood test to back that up, unless you need written documentation to show some bureaucrat why you need accommodation of your dietary requirements.

Stay on the diet and stay healthy. If you are still having problems while staying 100% gluten-free (and yes, I mean 100%), then you may need to pursue other possible issues.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter