Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

loco_ladi

First Time With The "flu"

Well, Its been a long time since I have been sick with the Flu (give or take 5 years)... and I am so NOT prepared...

immediate problems are the headache, temp, aches and pains...

Any solid words of wisdom or should I just shoot myself and put me out of my misery! Right now the shooting myself sounds like the better alternative, I had forgotten how much "fun" this was.

By the way I bleached the screen before hitting send so none of you will get sick ;)

Just my .00000002 cents worth

If I knew what I was doing years ago I would have half a clue today!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You poor thing :( I'm just getting over it myself...the last time I caught the flu was in 2003.

I got by on Extra Strength Bufferin, hot tea and lots of rest. I couldn't sleep much at night with all the shivering and congestion, but still rested as much as I could.

The cough has been the worst part of it for me--I've been using Robitussin Honey-Lemon cough drops and Robitussin DL Cough Syrup. I swear, I hate taking any cold meds, and haven't used cough syrup in I can't remember how long, but after a week of coughing day and night, I'd have tried anything! I feel like I was born with this darn cough! :P Also soothing (but I found not up to flu-strength coughs) is spoonful of honey. And, chewing gum is a good change from cough drops and helps quite a bit, I've found.

Wish I could offer more--keep downing liquids and rest :) Hope you feel better soon.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

Folks around here (Pacific Northwest) swear by Elderberry as a remedy for colds/flu. Lots of folks take it whenever they get exposed to colds, just to be sure. I have a throat spray, but have also taken syrups. Honey upsets my stomach, so I can't do the honey ones, but boy do they taste good. Look for one from Europe. Sorry I forget the name.

Join eNewsletter

I'm getting it myself I think :o I can't remember the last time I had it, I must have been a little kid! But I can't stop shivering and everything hurts...so I'm kinda thinking I've got it. Actually, I might never have had it...I got flu shots a lot bc I used to have bad asthma. At any rate, it's no fun! We can be sick together though!

I love tradicional medicinals throat coat tea with honey. It's really yummy and soothing on the throat because it's made from slippery elm bark. I also use it before vocal auditions and performances :) it's yumy

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

Join eNewsletter

There is a homopathic remedy called Ocsicillium that is supposed to be very helpful if taken in the beginning. I gave it to my son in the fall when he had a 102 fever and he was better in 12 hours. I could not find any last year when I got the flu for the first time since 94. Of course I came down with it on day 3 of my week vacation in Florida. Spent the week in a hotel room bed with 103 fever. The docs gave me tamaflu which helped me get over it quicker. The only reason I took it was in the hopes of salvaging my vacation. But, was still sick the whole time. I would stick with natural stuff like what I mentioned above and Elderberry and Zinc.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter