This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Need To Make Breakfast For 22 Kids

Lizz7711

Lizz7711 Apprentice

My daughter's 3rd grade class has breakfast while they read the Time's Kids news magazine every Friday, so usually every week I have to make my daughter something to bring in for her to eat Gluten-free Casein-free. WEll, I had signed up to make it for this coming Friday for the class and I don't know what to make! I'm not a cook, not a baker, single mom in grad school so I can't have something with a billion ingredients. I was thinking of muffins...but most recipes I saw called for too many ingredients, all different kinds of flours etc. I could also do sausage, but might get expensive for that many kids. It's a given i'll bring in some fruit, but I need something with protein and carbs, that won't cost too much either. (my daughter shouldn't have eggs or soy either although i'll use them in a recipe if necessary)

any recipes/ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Liz

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Why don't you just bring in some gluten-free cereal that contains nuts and milk (or rice milk) as well as some fruits? You could get disposable bowls and spoons if the school won't supply them.

It won't be cheap, but it would be easy.

gfpaperdoll Rookie

Breeakfast tacos - with soft white corn tortillas, heat tortillas in skillet - add scrambled eggs made with sausage, add hash browns - roll up. serve in little white paper sandwich bags, if you can find them or ask a restaurant for a few...

You can put any combination of eggs, meat, potatoes, beans, cheese on a breakfast taco.

Standard breakfast fare in Texas :)

celiac-mommy Collaborator

If you wanted something quick, you could get 2 bags of the Namaste spice/carrot cake mix, follow for carrot and add raisins and walnuts (if you're school isn't nut-free). That should make 24 muffins--or you could do mini muffins and get a lot more out of the mix... that would pair nicely with the fruit.

Lizz7711 Apprentice

Thanks for the idea, but I kinda want to do something that is good so the other kids know gluten-free can be tasty....and I honestly have not found one gluten-free cereal that I like yet...they all taste like extremely processed high glycemic fluff. But it's something to have in my mind as back up if I can't come up with anything!

Liz

Why don't you just bring in some gluten-free cereal that contains nuts and milk (or rice milk) as well as some fruits? You could get disposable bowls and spoons if the school won't supply them.

It won't be cheap, but it would be easy.

Lizz7711 Apprentice

This sounds very do-able, the school is nut free unfortunately. Have you had these, and do your kids like them?

thanks!

Liz

If you wanted something quick, you could get 2 bags of the Namaste spice/carrot cake mix, follow for carrot and add raisins and walnuts (if you're school isn't nut-free). That should make 24 muffins--or you could do mini muffins and get a lot more out of the mix... that would pair nicely with the fruit.
This sounds very do-able, the school is nut free unfortunately. Have you had these, and do your kids like them?

thanks!

Liz

It is the single best spice cake I've ever had--EVER. The first time I had it, I had to go look at the package because I really didn't believe it was gluten-free. My husband loves it too (and he rarely eats gluten-free)--he says it's his favorite cake, which is a big deal since he generally doesn't like cake. I always keep a bag on hand in the pantry--and I'm not big on buying a lot of the pre-packaged stuff.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

I use this recipe for sausage. Use less cayenne and it makes a mild sausage suitable for kids. I ask the butcher to grind lean pork for me(he usually chooses an inexpensive lean roast). Open Original Shared Link They can be made ahead and warmed up. They may look dry but they are always juicy inside.

Lizz7711 Apprentice
It is the single best spice cake I've ever had--EVER. The first time I had it, I had to go look at the package because I really didn't believe it was gluten-free. My husband loves it too (and he rarely eats gluten-free)--he says it's his favorite cake, which is a big deal since he generally doesn't like cake. I always keep a bag on hand in the pantry--and I'm not big on buying a lot of the pre-packaged stuff.

I'm sold...this is what I'm going to do, the muffins and some yummy fruit. I would love someday to be able to make real stuff from scratch, but with my life right now, quick and easy is necessary! Thanks for everyone's tips, I really appreciate it!

Liz

Lizz7711 Apprentice
I use this recipe for sausage. Use less cayenne and it makes a mild sausage suitable for kids. I ask the butcher to grind lean pork for me(he usually chooses an inexpensive lean roast). Open Original Shared Link They can be made ahead and warmed up. They may look dry but they are always juicy inside.

This looks good, and not too difficult..I will keep this for future reference, thanks! :) My daughter is a sausage fanatic but it's got to be somewhat healthy, and these look decent, you could even substitue ground turkey right?

Liz

buffettbride Enthusiast

One word: Pancakes

How?

Pamela's pancake mix. My daughter's 10th birthday was a sleepover and I had to make breakfast for 12 girls. I made the pancakes and no one questioned the gluten-free status.

You can make them in advance and microwave or make that morning and keep warm wrapped in foil.

So so so so good!

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

I wanted to second the vote for Namaste spice cake muffins. I've added pureed pumpkin to the mix before too, and they come out great. These muffins are awesome, plus it would be easy for you, and a cinch for the kids to eat. You are one brave woman to bring breaky for the entire class!

missy'smom Collaborator
This looks good, and not too difficult..I will keep this for future reference, thanks! :) My daughter is a sausage fanatic but it's got to be somewhat healthy, and these look decent, you could even substitue ground turkey right?

Liz

It comes together quickly. Ground turkey would work well I think. It's similar in fat content to the pork that I use. The egg and flour help seal in the juices.

One word: Pancakes

How?

Pamela's pancake mix. My daughter's 10th birthday was a sleepover and I had to make breakfast for 12 girls. I made the pancakes and no one questioned the gluten-free status.

You can make them in advance and microwave or make that morning and keep warm wrapped in foil.

So so so so good!

I agree, but she said the school is nut free and there's almond flour in that mix. But that's the only one we use in our house!!

Lizz7711 Apprentice
I agree, but she said the school is nut free and there's almond flour in that mix. But that's the only one we use in our house!!

Unfortunately this mix also uses milk which we can't have...but there are other Gluten-free Casein-free pancake mixes that are decent i'm sure..the only one i've had so far is Bob's REd mill and they were ok.

Liz

Lizz7711 Apprentice
I wanted to second the vote for Namaste spice cake muffins. I've added pureed pumpkin to the mix before too, and they come out great. These muffins are awesome, plus it would be easy for you, and a cinch for the kids to eat. You are one brave woman to bring breaky for the entire class!

I hope Whole Foods carries it! When you added pumpkin, did you change ratios of anything else?

I wouldn't say i'm brave, I signed up before we knew we were gluten and casein sensitive! But I am excited for her to be able to share stuff that tastes good with her classmates...she's pretty sensitive and has felt left out and "weird" due to the diet on many occasions in these few months since starting. Do you think those muffins would be good with frosting? I picked up Pamela's frosting mix today, thought it might add some sweetness :)

thanks,

Liz

I hope Whole Foods carries it! When you added pumpkin, did you change ratios of anything else?

I wouldn't say i'm brave, I signed up before we knew we were gluten and casein sensitive! But I am excited for her to be able to share stuff that tastes good with her classmates...she's pretty sensitive and has felt left out and "weird" due to the diet on many occasions in these few months since starting. Do you think those muffins would be good with frosting? I picked up Pamela's frosting mix today, thought it might add some sweetness :)

thanks,

Liz

I'd like to know about the pumpkin too!! I've frequently made the Non-gluten-free weight watchers recipe of 1 box spice cake and 1 15oz can pumpkin--replaces egg and oil, and it's AWESOME--I'd love to know if I can do that with this mix...

The 1st time I had the Namaste cake, it had frosting on it, it was really good, but it definately turns it into a cupcake vs a muffin, but I'm sure the kids would love it!!

taweavmo3 Enthusiast
I'd like to know about the pumpkin too!! I've frequently made the Non-gluten-free weight watchers recipe of 1 box spice cake and 1 15oz can pumpkin--replaces egg and oil, and it's AWESOME--I'd love to know if I can do that with this mix...

The 1st time I had the Namaste cake, it had frosting on it, it was really good, but it definately turns it into a cupcake vs a muffin, but I'm sure the kids would love it!!

I didn't change anything, I just added half a can of pumpkin puree. I was going to add more, but I wasn't sure how the texture would come out. I am so not a baker, I'm terrified of changing ratios. Too many gluten free baking tries gone bad I suppose, lol. I'm sure you could play around with it some and add more pumpkin. I personally like the shredded carrots best, or I'll mince them in my chopper so the kids can't see them.

Archived