Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lizz7711

Need To Make Breakfast For 22 Kids

My daughter's 3rd grade class has breakfast while they read the Time's Kids news magazine every Friday, so usually every week I have to make my daughter something to bring in for her to eat Gluten-free Casein-free. WEll, I had signed up to make it for this coming Friday for the class and I don't know what to make! I'm not a cook, not a baker, single mom in grad school so I can't have something with a billion ingredients. I was thinking of muffins...but most recipes I saw called for too many ingredients, all different kinds of flours etc. I could also do sausage, but might get expensive for that many kids. It's a given i'll bring in some fruit, but I need something with protein and carbs, that won't cost too much either. (my daughter shouldn't have eggs or soy either although i'll use them in a recipe if necessary)

any recipes/ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Liz

Liz

Positive enterolab results 11/07:

-antigliadin IgA: 56 (normal <10)

-antitissue tTG IgA: 39 (normal <10)

-anti-casein IgA: 34 (normal <10)

-HLA-DQ: 2,1 (2,6)

Positive blood test IgA and IgG 12/07

Gluten-free Casein-free since 12/07

mostly soy free since 12/07

Diagnosed with adrenal fatigue 08/07

Diagnosed hypothyroid 01/08

Still have mercury fillings, high mercury and lead

Multiple chemical sensitivities

9 year old daughter positive enterolab test for gluten, casein, soy and egg with HLA-DQ 3,1 (7,6)--mostly exhibits behavioral reactions to foods including food dyes, MSG, aspartame

Mother passed away 3 years ago of adenocarcinoma of unknown primary. Two years prior had diarrhea causing her to weigh 86 pounds...Mayo clinic told her to take pepto bismol. NO test for celiac, lifelong hx of ulcers, osteoporosis. I now know she had the celiac gene (my dad has DQ1) and was probably undiagnosed her whole life.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Why don't you just bring in some gluten-free cereal that contains nuts and milk (or rice milk) as well as some fruits? You could get disposable bowls and spoons if the school won't supply them.

It won't be cheap, but it would be easy.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join eNewsletter

Breeakfast tacos - with soft white corn tortillas, heat tortillas in skillet - add scrambled eggs made with sausage, add hash browns - roll up. serve in little white paper sandwich bags, if you can find them or ask a restaurant for a few...

You can put any combination of eggs, meat, potatoes, beans, cheese on a breakfast taco.

Standard breakfast fare in Texas :)

Join eNewsletter

If you wanted something quick, you could get 2 bags of the Namaste spice/carrot cake mix, follow for carrot and add raisins and walnuts (if you're school isn't nut-free). That should make 24 muffins--or you could do mini muffins and get a lot more out of the mix... that would pair nicely with the fruit.

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

Join eNewsletter

Thanks for the idea, but I kinda want to do something that is good so the other kids know gluten-free can be tasty....and I honestly have not found one gluten-free cereal that I like yet...they all taste like extremely processed high glycemic fluff. But it's something to have in my mind as back up if I can't come up with anything!

Liz

Why don't you just bring in some gluten-free cereal that contains nuts and milk (or rice milk) as well as some fruits? You could get disposable bowls and spoons if the school won't supply them.

It won't be cheap, but it would be easy.

Liz

9 year old daughter positive enterolab test for gluten, casein, soy and egg with HLA-DQ 3,1 (7,6)--mostly exhibits behavioral reactions to foods including food dyes, MSG, aspartame

Mother passed away 3 years ago of adenocarcinoma of unknown primary. Two years prior had diarrhea causing her to weigh 86 pounds...Mayo clinic told her to take pepto bismol. NO test for celiac, lifelong hx of ulcers, osteoporosis. I now know she had the celiac gene (my dad has DQ1) and was probably undiagnosed her whole life.

Join eNewsletter

This sounds very do-able, the school is nut free unfortunately. Have you had these, and do your kids like them?

thanks!

Liz

If you wanted something quick, you could get 2 bags of the Namaste spice/carrot cake mix, follow for carrot and add raisins and walnuts (if you're school isn't nut-free). That should make 24 muffins--or you could do mini muffins and get a lot more out of the mix... that would pair nicely with the fruit.

Liz

Join eNewsletter

This sounds very do-able, the school is nut free unfortunately. Have you had these, and do your kids like them?

thanks!

Liz

It is the single best spice cake I've ever had--EVER. The first time I had it, I had to go look at the package because I really didn't believe it was gluten-free. My husband loves it too (and he rarely eats gluten-free)--he says it's his favorite cake, which is a big deal since he generally doesn't like cake. I always keep a bag on hand in the pantry--and I'm not big on buying a lot of the pre-packaged stuff.

Rachelle 20dance.gif

-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

Join eNewsletter

I use this recipe for sausage. Use less cayenne and it makes a mild sausage suitable for kids. I ask the butcher to grind lean pork for me(he usually chooses an inexpensive lean roast). http://www.recipezaar.com/86494 They can be made ahead and warmed up. They may look dry but they are always juicy inside.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

It is the single best spice cake I've ever had--EVER. The first time I had it, I had to go look at the package because I really didn't believe it was gluten-free. My husband loves it too (and he rarely eats gluten-free)--he says it's his favorite cake, which is a big deal since he generally doesn't like cake. I always keep a bag on hand in the pantry--and I'm not big on buying a lot of the pre-packaged stuff.

I'm sold...this is what I'm going to do, the muffins and some yummy fruit. I would love someday to be able to make real stuff from scratch, but with my life right now, quick and easy is necessary! Thanks for everyone's tips, I really appreciate it!

Liz

Liz

Join eNewsletter

I use this recipe for sausage. Use less cayenne and it makes a mild sausage suitable for kids. I ask the butcher to grind lean pork for me(he usually chooses an inexpensive lean roast). http://www.recipezaar.com/86494 They can be made ahead and warmed up. They may look dry but they are always juicy inside.

This looks good, and not too difficult..I will keep this for future reference, thanks! :) My daughter is a sausage fanatic but it's got to be somewhat healthy, and these look decent, you could even substitue ground turkey right?

Liz

Liz

Join eNewsletter

One word: Pancakes

How?

Pamela's pancake mix. My daughter's 10th birthday was a sleepover and I had to make breakfast for 12 girls. I made the pancakes and no one questioned the gluten-free status.

You can make them in advance and microwave or make that morning and keep warm wrapped in foil.

So so so so good!

Join eNewsletter

I wanted to second the vote for Namaste spice cake muffins. I've added pureed pumpkin to the mix before too, and they come out great. These muffins are awesome, plus it would be easy for you, and a cinch for the kids to eat. You are one brave woman to bring breaky for the entire class!

Tamara, mom to 4 gluten & casein free kiddos!

Age 11 - Psoriasis

Age 8- dx'd Celiac March 2005

Age 6- gluten-free/cf, allergy related seizures

Age 4 - reflux, resolved with gluten-free/cf

Join eNewsletter

This looks good, and not too difficult..I will keep this for future reference, thanks! :) My daughter is a sausage fanatic but it's got to be somewhat healthy, and these look decent, you could even substitue ground turkey right?

Liz

It comes together quickly. Ground turkey would work well I think. It's similar in fat content to the pork that I use. The egg and flour help seal in the juices.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

One word: Pancakes

How?

Pamela's pancake mix. My daughter's 10th birthday was a sleepover and I had to make breakfast for 12 girls. I made the pancakes and no one questioned the gluten-free status.

You can make them in advance and microwave or make that morning and keep warm wrapped in foil.

So so so so good!

I agree, but she said the school is nut free and there's almond flour in that mix. But that's the only one we use in our house!!

Rachelle 20dance.gif

-gluten-free since 1/06

Join eNewsletter

I agree, but she said the school is nut free and there's almond flour in that mix. But that's the only one we use in our house!!

Unfortunately this mix also uses milk which we can't have...but there are other Gluten-free Casein-free pancake mixes that are decent i'm sure..the only one i've had so far is Bob's REd mill and they were ok.

Liz

Liz

Join eNewsletter

I wanted to second the vote for Namaste spice cake muffins. I've added pureed pumpkin to the mix before too, and they come out great. These muffins are awesome, plus it would be easy for you, and a cinch for the kids to eat. You are one brave woman to bring breaky for the entire class!

I hope Whole Foods carries it! When you added pumpkin, did you change ratios of anything else?

I wouldn't say i'm brave, I signed up before we knew we were gluten and casein sensitive! But I am excited for her to be able to share stuff that tastes good with her classmates...she's pretty sensitive and has felt left out and "weird" due to the diet on many occasions in these few months since starting. Do you think those muffins would be good with frosting? I picked up Pamela's frosting mix today, thought it might add some sweetness :)

thanks,

Liz

Liz

Join eNewsletter

I hope Whole Foods carries it! When you added pumpkin, did you change ratios of anything else?

I wouldn't say i'm brave, I signed up before we knew we were gluten and casein sensitive! But I am excited for her to be able to share stuff that tastes good with her classmates...she's pretty sensitive and has felt left out and "weird" due to the diet on many occasions in these few months since starting. Do you think those muffins would be good with frosting? I picked up Pamela's frosting mix today, thought it might add some sweetness :)

thanks,

Liz

I'd like to know about the pumpkin too!! I've frequently made the Non-gluten-free weight watchers recipe of 1 box spice cake and 1 15oz can pumpkin--replaces egg and oil, and it's AWESOME--I'd love to know if I can do that with this mix...

The 1st time I had the Namaste cake, it had frosting on it, it was really good, but it definately turns it into a cupcake vs a muffin, but I'm sure the kids would love it!!

Rachelle 20dance.gif

-gluten-free since 1/06

Join eNewsletter

I'd like to know about the pumpkin too!! I've frequently made the Non-gluten-free weight watchers recipe of 1 box spice cake and 1 15oz can pumpkin--replaces egg and oil, and it's AWESOME--I'd love to know if I can do that with this mix...

The 1st time I had the Namaste cake, it had frosting on it, it was really good, but it definately turns it into a cupcake vs a muffin, but I'm sure the kids would love it!!

I didn't change anything, I just added half a can of pumpkin puree. I was going to add more, but I wasn't sure how the texture would come out. I am so not a baker, I'm terrified of changing ratios. Too many gluten free baking tries gone bad I suppose, lol. I'm sure you could play around with it some and add more pumpkin. I personally like the shredded carrots best, or I'll mince them in my chopper so the kids can't see them.

Tamara, mom to 4 gluten & casein free kiddos!

Age 11 - Psoriasis

Age 8- dx'd Celiac March 2005

Age 6- gluten-free/cf, allergy related seizures

Age 4 - reflux, resolved with gluten-free/cf

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter