Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

international quality

Sorghum Flour Gluten Free

Hello to everyone,

I have the oppurtunity to have milled locally grown Sorghum flour both the red variety and the white variety. I am first doing some ground work to see if it would be a viable venture.

I have placed some information below which I have found on the internet, I think this product would be of great benefit to the Australian community, please let me know your thoughts and or interests on this subject.

Grain sorghum is used for flours, porridges and side dishes, malted and distilled beverages, and specialty foods such as popped grain

The protein content of Sorghum is nearly equal and is comparable to that of wheat and maize.

Sorghum grain is relatively rich in iron and phosphorus.

Sorghum and millets in general are rich sources of B-complex vitamins but do not contain vitamin A and C.

The protein and starch in grain sorghum are more slowly digested than other cereals, and slower rates of digestibility are particularly beneficial for diabetics.

Sorghum starch is gluten-free. This makes sorghum a good substitute for wheat flour to individuals who are unable to digest food made from wheat.

Nutritionally, sorghum flour is similar to corn flour, but it has a higher concentration of protein.

Sorghum Flour is one of the most nutritious and versatile gluten-free grains.

Sorghum can be used as a gluten-free replacement for wheat, but due to the lack of gluten sorghum breads are generallly unleavened. Some varieties are rich in antioxidants. And except for the high-tannin sorghum, the flavor is neutral and the grain is known for taking on the flavors of the other ingredients).

Kind Regards

Colin Fitzgerald

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Join eNewsletter