Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest tamedandfoxed

Pro-biotic Confusing Labeling

Guest tamedandfoxed

I've been taking pro-biotics as i simultaneously take another antibiotic... it's a long story--I bought the probiotics on a really bad and hectic day and have already stopped taking one because I noticed it had maltodextrin and did NOT say gluten-free. The other two both DO say they contain MD BUT they also say the product has "no wheat (gluten)" in it. I understand this can be solved by calling the company, which I will do tomorrow, but I just wanted to know if anyone else had run into this problem before. I know MD can come from corn, but usually the label will say this.

Just confused.

Thanks!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I've been taking pro-biotics as i simultaneously take another antibiotic... it's a long story--I bought the probiotics on a really bad and hectic day and have already stopped taking one because I noticed it had maltodextrin and did NOT say gluten-free. The other two both DO say they contain MD BUT they also say the product has "no wheat (gluten)" in it. I understand this can be solved by calling the company, which I will do tomorrow, but I just wanted to know if anyone else had run into this problem before. I know MD can come from corn, but usually the label will say this.

Just confused.

Thanks!

Maltdextrin in the US is generally dervied from corn. If it is derived from wheat it will say "Maltdextrin (wheat)". This is US FDA Law.

If your label says Maldextrin and does not list wheat, it is gluten free.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

Maltdextrin in the US is generally dervied from corn. If it is derived from wheat it will say "Maltdextrin (wheat)". This is US FDA Law.

If your label says Maldextrin and does not list wheat, it is gluten free.

But I think this law only applies to food...I would call. I use culturelle which is gluten-free.

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

Join eNewsletter

But I think this law only applies to food...I would call. I use culturelle which is gluten-free.

I stand corrected ;) HAK is correct. The FDA laws pertain to food only at this time.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

Also you should never take a pro-biotic at the same time you take an anti-biotic. the AB will just kill the PB. they should be taken at least two hours apart. also a general rule of thumb, take a PB for at least twice as long as the AB. ie Ten day cycle of an AB should reslut in a twenty days of a PB.

Join eNewsletter

If you find for some reason that you don't tolerate the probiotics yogurt will do the same thing. We start with eating it twice a day the day we start the antibiotics and that alone does the trick for my family. Of course this is not possible if you can't have dairy, but then again most probiotics are not dairy (casein) free either. My naturopath suggested sauerkraut for me since I am casien free but I haven't needed antibiotics since I went casien free so don't know if that would work as well.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Guest tamedandfoxed

Thanks, I haven't been taking them at the same time i don't think, but i didn't know that, so it's good to know. I am taking PB8 and can't find a number to call. People on this site also take this and say it's good stuff.. it says it has no gluten and is a product of the US..

Everything says it's safe.

it doesn't really matter anyway because the infection hasn't gone away...sigh.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter