This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Are Sleepless Night A Symptom In Babies?

karinezoe

karinezoe Newbie

as soon as I feed her gluten, she stops sleeping throught the night. she moves alot, wakes up crying, has gas.

if I try a gluten free diet, she seems to sleep alot better.

can this be a symptom??

she is 7 months and we are waiting on test results for celiacs.

lately, she has been tolarating gluten alot better so we were thinking mabye it was just that she wasn't ready for baby cereal yet. or mabye were just denying the whole thing :(

thanks for the help

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dandelionmom Enthusiast

I don't know the official answer but we believe it was a symptom for our daughter. Shortly after the introduction of solids, we started referring to her as "the baby who doesn't sleep." It is hard to sleep with an upset stomach.

Maybe try cutting out the gluten for a bit to see how she does?

Ursa Major Collaborator

The celiac disease tests are extremely unreliable in children under six, and even more so in babies. It is not very likely you get a positive test result in babies who aren't so sick already that they are on death's door.

For a seven month old baby the best and most reliable test is to put her on a gluten-free diet to see if it makes a difference. I don't know if you breastfeed (if yes, you would have to stop eating gluten yourself), but please don't give her anything with dairy, either. It could cause those problems as well (as could soy).

If she starts sleeping through the night again when removing gluten, you will really have your answer. And no, if you are gluten intolerant, you don't outgrow it. Your symptoms may change, but if your daughter is truly gluten intolerant, you shouldn't reintroduce gluten at any age, even if there are no obvious (or completely different) symptoms.

One test that works on babies is the one by Open Original Shared Link. If you want more than just your own observations, that would be the best way to go as far as I am concerned. And it doesn't involve having blood drawn from the poor kid.

Worriedtodeath Enthusiast

Was for us. And as a pp mentioned, getting a positive on a 7 month old who isn't pratically dead is pretty much unheard of. As sick as my daughter was and as convinced as three drs were that this is what she had everything including the biopsy came back negative. IF you do get a positive, count yourself lucky because if you don't chances are very high you will be told to continue feeding her gluten and she will simply get worse. By the time we had the biopsy, everyone agreed something had to be done quickly but no one could agree on what course of action to take. We finally had to say we are going gluten/dairy free and that's that.

Best thing you could do is agree to go gluten free and save yourself the hell of trying to dx a baby. THe only thing it has done for us is rule out every possible other thing known to man. THen later in life (many years later) when her growth isn't critical and development isn't changing literally daily, then you can do a gluten challenge. We are playing catch up not only in weight and height but in speach and mental development.

HTH

Stacie

Hopefulmama Apprentice
as soon as I feed her gluten, she stops sleeping throught the night. she moves alot, wakes up crying, has gas.

if I try a gluten free diet, she seems to sleep alot better.

can this be a symptom??

she is 7 months and we are waiting on test results for celiacs.

lately, she has been tolarating gluten alot better so we were thinking mabye it was just that she wasn't ready for baby cereal yet. or mabye were just denying the whole thing :(

thanks for the help

Our DD never slept well. She is almost 2.5 y/o. She started sleeping better and stopped having night terrors when we cut out the gluten. If she gets glutened, her sleep is wretched. In my opinion, it's something to consider seriously.

ItchyMeredith Contributor

I am amazed that your 7 month old sleeps through the night at all!!!!

My 16 month old still wakes twice a night to nurse.

<_<

I say YEAH for any sleep at all!!!

Good luck figuring it out.

Ursa Major Collaborator

<_<

Meridith, have you tried putting your little one on a gluten-free diet? You never know, maybe he will start sleeping through the night! He might wake up because his tummy hurts and nurses for comfort.

I wouldn't nurse a child that old during the night. I nursed my youngest until she was almost two years old. But only first thing in the morning, before nap time and before bedtime. Certainly not in the middle of the night, I would have checked her diaper, offered some water and put her back to bed if she would wake in the middle of the night. And yes, she ended up sleeping in our bed regularly (I'd find her in the middle when I woke up in the morning :huh: ).

If you nurse him, you encourage him to wake you, and how do you EVER get enough sleep that way?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dandelionmom Enthusiast

My 18 m/o still wakes to nurse.

Nic Collaborator

I was recently googling insomnia because my 5 year old (non celiac as far as we know) has never been able to sleep. He is also constipated. When I googled these symptoms "food allergies" kept coming up but more specifically, gluten. We have an appointment with a gastro for him tomorrow but at the very least I think he is gluten intolerant. It would be so nice if after 5 years we can finally sleep again :P .

Nicole

karinezoe Newbie

here is an update....

we cut out gluten.....again.....and dd is miraculously sleeping throught the night again.

she still wakes once or twice because she can't find her pacifier but the doesn't cry or seem uncomfortable and goes right back to sleep.

mabye it's just a coincidence...or mabye I'm just in denial :(

dh started a gluten-free diet almost one week ago because he has been having joint pains for years (he is 33 yo and is very fit) and severe eczema. He also has sores in his mouth (regularly since childhood)....so we are waiting to see some results.

Worriedtodeath Enthusiast

my joint pain disappeared 2 weeks after going gluten-free and hasn't returned in the 6 weeks since. I would say it is no coincidence. FOr what ever reason it makes her sleep being gluten free so go with that.

Stacie

Pattymom Newbie

<_<

That sounds pretty normal to me. None of my 4 slept through the night at 7 months, even the one who slept through the night before that, by 7 months teething pain had kicked in.

They all sleep through the night now.

Patty

Archived