Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jassie

Prepping For Doctor's Visit

Okay, so from what I've been reading it sounds like diagnosing Celiac Disease can be a bit of a pain. So, I'm looking for some tips on how to talk to my doctor this Wednesday.

Here's some background info: I've seen doctors at different points throughout my life (I'm 22 now) complaining of fatigue, and I've been tested multiple times for anemia, though I always just end up borderline. Right after I graduated from high school I was tested for Diabetes, and eventually start getting the typical depression questions from doctors -- and at that point I gave up and let it pass. I went through another round last Spring of bad fatigue, but it ended up again in an anemia test, and the "maybe it's just in your head" depression idea. I suspected I might have a thyroid problem and tried to pay closer attention to what I ate.

Now, this past December my stomach started acting up big time. After eating I would feel so bloated, my stomach would stick out, and I would hiccup/burp way more than is normal. At the time, I didn't have insurance, so I did some investigating and thought I might be lactose intolerant, so I cut dairy out of my diet. I felt better for a while.

However, recently the same symptoms have returned and I'm not eating any dairy. I'm starting to feel so fatigued that I can't even work a whole shift without feeling faint. I went to my old doctor (a pediatrician) and he tested me for anemia (negative again) and sent me away with "it must be an intestinal bug." But I'm not feeling any better. So, I've scheduled an appointment with a regular doctor, and I want to make sure that I get the correct tests done. Based on the research I've done, my symptoms correlate with Celiac disease, and I don't want to walk away with another brushed-off diagnosis because I really want to get better.

So, do you guys have any advice on what I should ask my doctor? I have been keeping a small journal of what I've been eating the past few days and I plan to bring it in, but is there anything else I should know that would help?

Thanks in advance!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Join eNewsletter