Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Glutenfreefamily

Namaste Muffin Mix- Add Ins

I want to make the muffins, I have made them before and added some craisins. Now I want to make some banana muffins with my very ripe bananas but I dont know how many to add so I dont add too much and make it too soft but yet get a good flavor out of it. 1/2 cup? 1 cup?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I want to make the muffins, I have made them before and added some craisins. Now I want to make some banana muffins with my very ripe bananas but I dont know how many to add so I dont add too much and make it too soft but yet get a good flavor out of it. 1/2 cup? 1 cup?

I personally would start with 1/2 c of mashed banana and see how that goes.

I made orange muffins for Easter last year with the Namaste Muffin Mix, I just prepared the mix as usual only I substituted orange juice for 1/2 c. of the water (1/2 c. orange juice + remainder of water directions call for), and then I mixed in 1/2 c. orange marmalade and a little bit of orange zest.

I also made orange butter to serve with the muffins, cream together 1 stick room temp butter, 1/4 c. sweet orange marmalade, 2 tbsp orange juice, 1 tsp honey. Transfer to a sm serving bowl with a butter knife and serve alongside the muffins.

Join eNewsletter

I just found this mix at my store. I made them with chocolate chips and some cinnamon sugar on top. They were good, but it seemed like without my mix-ins they would be more biscuit-like....I couldn't tell how sweet they would be without the chocolate.

Has anyone used these as a "sandwich" biscuit instead of a muffin? I might actually use that for lunches at work, but I don't want to waste the expense if they won't work for a sandwich and will be too bland for a muffin......

While I'm at it....Any other mix-in suggestions for days when I want something a little sweeter?

Amy

Gluten Free since 4/05 - adult onset

Symptoms for 4+ years prior

Immediate family tests negative

No Known family members w/ celiac disease

Join eNewsletter

I know this is getting off topic a bit-- but I have tried the Namaste muffin mix and didn't find it to be that great (although I love their spice cake and chocolate cake mixes)- I think it is really bland and a bit grainy on it's own. I've tried adding fruit juice instead of water, adding fruit, cinnamon, sugar topping, etc. and still find it to be bland.

I think the Gluten Free Pantry muffin mix is much better! You might want to try that one if you haven't already. I usually mix in a diced up apple, a couple handfulls of raisins and some cinnamon and they are delish! They freeze well to.

Marcia

Marcia-

Diagnosed Celiac based on equivocal results on blood seriology tests, did not have a biopsy due to already eating gluten free (I didn't know any better at the time to keep eating gluten until all tests could be done).

Diagnosis came 3 months after the birth of my first child at age 31 (I believe childbirth was my trigger).

Gluten Free since 8/06

Genetic testing revealed:

I have one copy of DQ2 (DQA1 05/DQB1 02)

Son- 3 years old, so far not showing any signs of digestive issues and does eat gluten- fingers crossed!

Second baby born after I have been gluten free for 2 1/2 years- a healthy boy weighing in at 9 pounds at birth!

Join eNewsletter

amybeth- I bet they would be good and quite fluffy. We used to buy whole foods cream biscuits but we dont eat dairy anymore, this might be a good alternative. They also have a sugar free kind but I always usee the one with sugar in it.

Marcia- I actually like the namaste mix but I also like it since it doesnt use dairy, corn or soy. I have intolerances to all of them so with the chance of soy in the gluten free pantry wouldnt be worth it for me or with the corn in it. But thanks :)

Their spice cake with raisins and carrots is wonderful :D That is addicting for me!

Join eNewsletter

I just found this mix at my store. I made them with chocolate chips and some cinnamon sugar on top. They were good, but it seemed like without my mix-ins they would be more biscuit-like....I couldn't tell how sweet they would be without the chocolate.

Has anyone used these as a "sandwich" biscuit instead of a muffin? I might actually use that for lunches at work, but I don't want to waste the expense if they won't work for a sandwich and will be too bland for a muffin......

While I'm at it....Any other mix-in suggestions for days when I want something a little sweeter?

I haven't tried the Namaste Muffin Mix just plain, I like to take a mix and add things to it to spice it up so to speak :lol: , so I am not sure how sweet they are/ or aren't on their own.

If you want to experiment with making them sweeter try adding in jams/jellies or add a spoonful of pie fillings like cherry or apple in the center, canned fruit like peaches or pineapple (just make sure everything is gluten-free of course), mashed banana, chopped dates. Try adding a little brown sugar and canned pumpkin if you like pumpkin muffins.

Lots of options!

Marcia- I actually like the namaste mix but I also like it since it doesnt use dairy, corn or soy. I have intolerances to all of them so with the chance of soy in the gluten free pantry wouldnt be worth it for me or with the corn in it. But thanks :)

Their spice cake with raisins and carrots is wonderful :D That is addicting for me!

I also get the Namaste products because they are free of so many allergens.

The Spice Cake is so yummy! I added canned pumpkin to the mix in the fall months. I've also added mashed banana.

I want to try adding shredded zucchini to make zuchini muffins and then shredded carrot, coconut, raisins and nuts to do the carrot cake version.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter