Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

confusedl18

Numbness After Going Gluten Free

So after going to my naturopath in january and having done biofeedback, she found that i had celiac. So I started a gluten free diet.... 2 weeks later, i had an endoscopy and a colonoscopy. Right after that and up until this day, i have been getting numbness. My hands and my fingers and toes will go numb, i can still use them, buti can't feel alot. Usually it's mainly in my left side, but also it affects my whole body. Sometimes I feel like i'm not even in my body. Now, i've been light headed and really dizzy and also been having alot of Indigestion and vomitting. I am 20 and female, not pregnant, and just feeling very scared. I never had these feelings before I went gluten free. Whenever I do eat glute though i don't get these symptoms. My biopsies came back with no celiac diagnosis, however my naturopath's bifeedback still comes back as positive for it. So my question is why I am having such bad numbness, is it due to something else i don't know about? it is very scary, especially for someone who used to be able to do everything and now i'm just so tired and so drained that i can't do anything. Also, I have been getting muscle spasms all over my body, but usually in my left side. I have read it can be due to a b12 deficiency, but my gp says its anxiety, which i know i have and has definitely been worse since i've been gluten free. Are these all symptoms of my stomach trying to get back to normal or something else?

very worried...

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Even though you may feel better with gluten dosent mean your not celiac. what i believe is going on is your body has become allergic to the wheat to the point where it has become immune. your body likes its allergies and craves for more. if you are reacting when going gluten free it tells me that there is some sort of die-off going on and your body is detoxing. i would make sure you check back with your naturopath. see if he/she can find out. its something you should loo into. i mean if worse comes to worse maybe u'll just have to stay on the wheat..but stil that dosent seem right. the fact that you are vomiting is a major detox symptom. stick with it for now, it should subside! :)

Join eNewsletter

I would strongly suggest getting a for sure gluten free sublingual B12, that may help a great deal. Also make sure you have checked all non-food sources of gluten. Toiletries, shared toasters, shampoo, lotion, stuff for crafts like clays, glues etc. Many do experience a withdrawl when they go off gluten. That can cause a temporary increase in depression and anxiety issues. This will pass. Gluten is a neurotoxin for us and going off it causes the brain to go through the same sort of withdrawl that you would from a drug. Stick with it and try to go with as much naturally gluten free food as you can for now. It will help reduce the chances of cc and you will heal faster. Hang in there you should feel better soon.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter