Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kelsey

<b> Did Anyone Lose A Lot Of Weight Going Gluten Free? </b>

Has anyone gone on the gluten free diet and lost a lot of weight. I have gained 50 lbs in a few months and was told it was mostly water (because of big stretch marks) and it would all dissapear in a month of going gluten free. I'd love reassurance and to hear any stories of gluten free weight loss.

Happy Trails,

Kiwi :o:P:D

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes. I did. But, my story is different.

It appears that my 3rd pregnancy was my "trigger" and once my baby was born, I lost nothing. I could not lose weight no matter how hard I tried. And, since I was breastfeeding, I had to treat lightly on the whole "diet" issue.

Once I stopped nursing, the pounds still would not move. I could have starved myself to death, and not lost weight.

Once I was dx with gluten intol (my baby was a little over a year old) I went on the gluten free diet....and started dropping pounds like crazy. I lost 50 lbs in 3 months, without doing a THING other than avoiding wheat, barley, rye, and oats.

But, by NO MEANS would I advocate a gluten free lifestyle SIMPLY as an effort to lose weight. It's far too restrictive and difficult. If my health wasn't compromised by gluten, I would NOT avoid it. Period.

Jayhawkmom -

Mom of three....

Jay - 11

Bean - 8

Ian - 3

Join eNewsletter

Since July 07 I've lost a whole 9 pounds. BUT I look better because I was swollen up all over from the reaction to the food I was eating. I think it is going to take time and be different for us all.

Proud Mom of now 3 - one of which is dairy intolerant, and a hubby who is dairy intolerant.

Coconut, pseudoephedrine, lidocaine with epinephrine, sulfa and penicillin allergies for several years

Gluten, dairy and wheat intolerant since July 2007, soy intolerant since October 2008.

Be kind, for everyone you speak to is fighting their own battles.

Join eNewsletter

I lost about 20lbs in about 2 months. It ended up being about 15% of my body weight. I started at about 156 (was as high as 163 at times) and ended up at 135 stable. I hadn't been at that weight since college. :) Before going gluten free I couldn't lose weight, and I was running and weight training 4 days a week! I wasn't really exercising much during the time I lost the weight either.

Join eNewsletter

hi!

I have lost what I consider to be a substantial amount of weight going gluten-free...11 pounds! (In order to reach my healthy, ideal weight that I have not been able to attain since recovering from my eating disorder, I need to lose another 10 or so, but I am not worrying about it if I stay here)

Literally all I changed was eliminating gluten, but I must also admit that I was not severely overweight, only out of my healthy weight range by 5 pounds before I started gluten free. Also, I ate fairly healthy before, and so gluten free was not a huge change for me...so clearly, it was my gluten issues that were keeping my body from finding its healthiest weight.

-Glutina

-Recently diagnosed with extreme gluten sensitivity

-Celiac test results: negative

-In and out of hospitals and doctors offices for past 5 years with stomach/digestive issues

-Eating disordered past (this most likely triggered gluten issues G.I. thinks)

Symptoms when glutened: Diah. and Cons.; cramping/uncomfortable abdomen; rash on forehead; extreme fatigue; sometimes excruciating abdominal pain; feeling of weakness; acid reflux

**New to the gluten free way of living, but feeling like my old, healthy self again!!**

Join eNewsletter

Has anyone gone on the gluten free diet and lost a lot of weight. I have gained 50 lbs in a few months and was told it was mostly water (because of big stretch marks) and it would all dissapear in a month of going gluten free. I'd love reassurance and to hear any stories of gluten free weight loss.

Happy Trails,

I lost about 7 lbs in the first few weeks of going gluten free. I cut out all processed foods for the first few months out of fear mostly. The biggest joy for me has been the end of a lifetime of painful bloating.

Join eNewsletter

I have lost about 10 lbs since going gluten free (and all other intolerances I have). I gained weight as I got worse and worse before figuring it all out.

One Celiac gene and one gluten intolerance gene (HLA-DQ 2,1).

Grain free, casein free, soy/legume free + a bunch of allergies I have had since I was a child (stone fruits, nuts..carrots)

Following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, but no nuts, legumes or casein.

Join eNewsletter

My actual weight loss was only about ten pounds but I went from a 12 to a 4 in less than a month and also lost a shoe size. In my case it was mainly because I lost the bloat and the full body edema that made me look 7 months pregnant. I basically looked like a stick carrying a watermelon prediagnosis.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Happy Trails,

I lost 40 lbs going gluten free. I had triplets in 1995 and, of course, gained lots of weight. Lost it through exercise then had so many physical problems (nerve and muscle pain which was diagnosed as fibromyalgia) and was unable to exercise and gained it all back. I had read that people with fibromyalgia have many food sensitivities so I went on an elimination diet and discovered that gluten was my problem. I went gluten free (or mostly because I didn't know I was celiac and didn't check labels as well as I should have) and the 40 lbs just disappeared from my body in a relatively short time. I've not had a weight problem since going gluten free (and I feel much better of course).

Join eNewsletter

I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention when I first went gluten-free two years ago, but I think I lost maybe 5 pounds but I went from a 14 to a 10 pant size. I'm just not bloated anymore. I swear I looked like a balloon in my swimming suit.

Join eNewsletter

:)

This all sounds good!! I am about 1.5 months into this, and the bloated belly is my main problem still. Looking forward to getting that gone! How long did that take for most of you?

I have been thinking perhaps I may be intolerant to more. I have gone wheat,dairy,corn,soy,& sugar free, and have recently gone 100% grain free this past week.

Major improvements in overall health, but would love to remove the bloat from belly area!!

AMY

Join eNewsletter

:rolleyes: hi,everyone,i am new to the forum,i am learning alot here,i was dx about a year ago,i lost 40 pounds in 3 months.from gluten i was 130lb and got down to about 85lb after going on gluten-free i only gained 15lb back.after reading all of your post that may explain,i didnt know that gluten-free can make someone loose wieght .i also read here that other things like soy and dairy can be the problem, can anyone tell me what other foods can hurt the villi?.i have been having new problems in the past 4months wuth stiff joints aching mussels ,sore bones ,the bigest thing is soooo tierd all the time.i just had ct of bones and some blood work done and my ana was high so the doc is taking more becuse he wants to check for lupus the ana can tell more with the others.has anyone been dx with lupus before or after celiac? thank you diane :rolleyes:

Join eNewsletter

:o

-Recently diagnosed with extreme gluten sensitivity

-Celiac test results: negative

-In and out of hospitals and doctors offices for past 5 years with stomach/digestive issues

-Eating disordered past (this most likely triggered gluten issues G.I. thinks)

Symptoms when glutened: Diah. and Cons.; cramping/uncomfortable abdomen; rash on forehead; extreme fatigue; sometimes excruciating abdominal pain; feeling of weakness; acid reflux

**New to the gluten free way of living, but feeling like my old, healthy self again!!**

Join eNewsletter

I lost about 7 pounds after going gluten free, which is a lot for someone who is only about 115.. so that made me kind of sad. I also think it had to do simply with me eating less because I couldn't figure out what to eat. I've started to gain a little of it back though thanks to whole foods and gluten free madeline cookies B)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter