luvs2eat

Isn't It Ironic...

Rate this topic

My all time favorite food to bake was bread. I used to make beautiful braided challah breads and big round crusty country loaves... I still do make them. Only now I can't eat them.

The loss of bread since my diagnosis (August 2003) has been the hardest for me. Whenever someone asked what my favorite food in the world was, I always said, "Homemade bread... and butter... that's one food, right??"

With all that's happening in the world... I know this is so not important. I'm just missing bread today. I've yet to find a good celiac bread and ... trust me... I've tried a bunch of recipes.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Have you ever noticed that when you're telling someone about the gluten-free diet for the first time, how they go through this list of foods saying "So you can't have ____?"

And when they get to bread, they so often get emotional about it: "So you can't have a sandwich? Or a hamburger? Or a hot dog?" Life would be so much easier if there was good, gluten-free bread around.

That's my venting coming off the holidays, where it seemed that everyone I knew was eating turkey sandwiches for two weeks. I miss turkey sandwiches. There are certainly more important things going on in the world, yet I'd still want the person who invented great gluten-free bread to win a Nobel Prize of some kind.

Guest PastorDave

I always liked Italian food myself. I found some good pasta's (more expensive because they are actually from Italy) but never a good pizza crust (don't tell my wife :P ) My mom (also Celiac) was the bread lover in our family, when we got her a bread machine (pre-diagnosis) she thought she was in heaven, she could make home-made bread with her schedule.

Oh well...it's better to know what's wrong than to be as sick as a dog and not know why. At least that's what I keep telling myself. :D

Guest PastorDave
Have you ever noticed that when you're telling someone about the gluten-free diet for the first time, how they go through this list of foods saying "So you can't have ____?"

Have you ever had anyone ask if you could have white bread??? After all it's not "wheat" bread? I love that one.

My mother's always offering me breaded stuff like fried chicken.

ahhh...patience is a virtue...

Ads by Google:

And when they get to bread, they so often get emotional about it: "So you can't have a sandwich? Or a hamburger? Or a hot dog?" Life would be so much easier if there was good, gluten-free bread around.

OH, YES! :rolleyes: .....the list goes on and on. Then many start to think that I can eat hardly anything. They start asking about milk, meat, vegetables, fruits....also funny.....what would I be eating then?

Have you ever had anyone ask if you could have white bread??? After all it's not "wheat" bread? I love that one.

Yes, another good one came from my dad when I was first diagnosed and he and my brother were clueless. He thought that with cereals I could have corn flakes since it's CORN flakes and not something like frosted mini WHEATS......lol

I don't miss tasty bread like many...well, not sliced bread...i can make do with ener-G and kinnickinick. I miss italian bread...used to love that, too...and I miss everything that's sorta bready/pastay: pizza, cheese ravioli, bagels, etc.

celiac3270, I just had a gluten-free frozen pizza from Amy's---plain cheese, but still pretty good.

I used the Gluten Free Pantry Sandwich Bread mix through this past holiday season. You see, tyki's favorite grandmother taught her years ago how to make nutmeat bread (its more like a bread roll with ground nuts where cinamon would be in a cinamon roll) like her mother-in-law from Czechoslovakia had taught her.

Nutmeat bread for the holidays is a family tradition. From the time I figured out I was gluten intolerant, nutmeat bread was the thing I was most upset about. I am the only one in the family that makes it, and I really didn't want to do without. And it was making me angry that I would make it and not be able to have even one piece.

My hubby convinced me to try the Sandwich Bread mix, and it was a pain to roll it out between sheets of plastic wrap.But once the dough was rolled out, the ground nuts, sugar, cinnamon, and raisins were spread around like a blanket on the dough and then rolled into a long thin loaf. The rolled loaves were very fragile when we slid them onto the baking sheets. But as they baked, they smelled just like I remembered nutmeat bread smelling.

I carried fresh baked loaves of nutmeat bread to every family gathering this Thanksgiving and Christmas. Guess what.....no one in the family could tell the difference until they saw me take a piece of nutmeat bread. Then they all said, "but you've been so careful about being gluten free." Then I just smiled and said, "Yep, and this was made with a gluten free substitute."

I was able to use the mix to substitute for a family tradition, and keep the tradition alive. On my side of the family, it helped keep everyone a little healthier, you see my dad is convinced that now that I made the connection, he can see signs that others in the family may have gluten intolerance at the root of some problems they have had and couldn't figure out.

Ah, for those days when my mill and three bread machines sat atop my kitchen counter. Twice a week, I faithfully milled my own wheat and carefully baked whole grain bread for my family. After all, what could be better for us (and our cholesterol, and our digestion, ...) than fresh baked bread with honey and a little butter? Little did I know that I was precipitating a catastrophe in our home by setting up the trigger for multiples of us to show up with celiac. Of all the things I cannot have, this is the one that will bring tears to my eyes. At least I can use my new mill to create buckwheat for pancakes and amaranth or teff to add nutrition to other dishes.

;) after over 3 years of being gluten-free, i was happy to think that my kids were all excepting the fact that i cant have gluten :) --my oldest didnt want to believe me and he would tell the others, "it's just a crazy diet mom is on" <_< ----he had ran to town to pick up a few things and called to ask his 7 yr old daughter what she wanted him to bring her from mcdonalds, then asked if i wanted anything, or was there anything i could have cause he knew i couldnt have a burger B)--he had gone to town to pick up rolls for our family dinner, after mcdonalds he calls from the grocery store and asks, "ask mom what kind of rolls she can have?"----someday i am sure it will all connect :lol: deb

Ads by Google:

My biggest temptation is when I walk though a store that makes homemade bread and the smell just fills the whole store. I swear my mouth starts watering every time! Dave...I miss good pasta the most! Italian food has always been my favorite. My husband and I are planning a vacation right now and he suggested we go to Italy the other night. I just about cried. We have been to Italy before and the pasta is like nothing you have ever had! I'd be off the diet before I got off the plane......... :rolleyes:

Tyki,

Thank you, thank you, I'm so excited to hear that you made gluten-free nutmeat bread. It sounds very similar to potica (a Slovenian food). I've been very disappointed that I couldn't eat potica since dx. I'll have to try it with the mix.

Thank You!!!

What I wouldn't give to eat a hot dog or hamburger on a bun. I don't even like hot dogs but they look soooo good on a bun. Hamburgers just aren't the same with out a bun either. I just had to sit through lunch and watch everyone at the table eat burritos. :(

PastorDave try the Chebe Pizza Crust. I think I like them better than regular crust. ;)

I tried the pizza crust from Bette Hagman's book and found it to be quite good. We cooked it on one of those Pizza Pizazz things and everyone thought it was geat!

I just get so irritated when I'm talking about the diet with my friends and then they say something stupid, haha. Like, all my friends know I can't have gluten or dairy... and then my friend the other night was like... well you can have hot chocolate! And, I was like "HELLO... chocolate!" It's always entertaining to say the least. I find it interesting that everyone's response is always "Wow... that sucks." When in actuality, this is probably the best thing to ever happen to me. If I kept on eating like I was, I probably would've had a lot of problems later on in life. Maybe even not so later on.

veggf,

For all I know my "nutmeat bread" could be your potica. You see my maternal grandfather immigrated to the US from Morovia (part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire). He liked to refer to himself as a Bohunk. Part of his family lives now in Prague.

It was his mother who taught my grandmother to make the nutmeat bread. With the way so many things were Anglicized when they came to the US, my great-grandmother may have just translated the name of what she was making to be more understandable to my grandmother. When they arrived in the US my grandfather's name was changed from Josef to Joseph, and his mother's name was changed from Josefa to Josephine.

So perhaps instead of clinging to the name potica, she just said she was making nutmeats and bread, aka nutmeat bread. A variation that the family used to make (unfortunately I didn't get the recipe for the filling) was to use poppy seeds instead of ground walnuts.

After writing this, I looked up potica on the web and read through several recipes, the filling I am using is not quite as complex as the recipes I saw on the web, but it looks amazingly like what I have been fixing for years.

What I wouldn't give to eat a hot dog or hamburger on a bun. I don't even like hot dogs but they look soooo good on a bun. Hamburgers just aren't the same with out a bun either. I just had to sit through lunch and watch everyone at the table eat burritos. 

PastorDave try the Chebe Pizza Crust. I think I like them better than regular crust. 

Definitely try chebe...i'd recommend making the crust using the regular chebe bread mix, though, rather than the mix for the pizza crust....turns out better using that one to make the crust in my opinion.

cynical - you can still have hot chocolate. plain powdered cocoa has no dairy (or gluten), and you can make it with soy milk if you want it creamy. many dark chocolates also contain no dairy (or gluten). I particularly like Scharfen-Burgher's cocoa powder.

cynical - you can still have hot chocolate. plain powdered cocoa has no dairy (or gluten), and you can make it with soy milk if you want it creamy. many dark chocolates also contain no dairy (or gluten). I particularly like Scharfen-Burgher's cocoa powder.

Oh yeah, I know. I have made it with soy milk and chocolate syrup. My friend wanted me to get it from a gas station though, haha.

It's been a while since I've been here... Quick question does most regular hot chocolates (like the kind from quicky marts) have gluten in them??? Thanks

Ads by Google:

;) it shouldnt--i worked at speedway and their hot cocoa didnt--i read it to be sure, ubt i never drank it--i dont like hot cocoa much--sorry-----deb

None of us can guarantee you that some unknown hot chocolate is gluten-free, but all that I've checked have been. Stephens, Quick, Swiss Miss.

richard

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to Celiac (2 1/2 years). I cried the first time I tried the frozen pre-made gluten-free breads out there. Nothing I did would make them palatable enough for me. My wonderful husband bought me a great programmable bread machine and I have since learned to make a great variety of breads with Bette Hagman's gluten-free Gourmet Bakes Bread recipes. With the machine, all it takes is throwing in the ingredients, starting the machine (which is programmed to skip the 2nd kneading & rising that gluten-free breads do not need), and within 3 hours, I have tasty bread at my disposal. My sandwiches do not fall apart, and I use any crumbs for gluten-free croutons or gluten-free bread crumbs. Take heart! It does get a little easier with time, research and advice from fellow Celiacs. :D

A variation that the family used to make (unfortunately I didn't get the recipe for the filling) was to use poppy seeds instead of ground walnuts.

tyki,

there is a similar Polish cake with poppy seed filling. It is called makowiec (pronounced makovietz), though I'd translate that as "poppy seed cake" rather than "bread"... It is also a traditional Christmas cake in Poland.

Here are a few recipes that I found on the Web, although they are not gluten-free, I think you could try making them with a gluten-free flour substitute ( I never had enough patience to try to make gluten-free yeast dough myself, but the filling should be OK ;) ).

here's a recipe for makowiec and for the poppy seed filling (and for a few more Polish cakes):

http://www.recipezaar.com/r/15/192/173

and a recipe for potica ;)

http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/christm...ipes/potica.htm

I hope you enjoy it ;)

I never liked bread, pasta or pizza that much - so I really don't miss them that much. What I really miss is being able to bake cookies and biscuits. I used to go through 20 lbs. of flour between Thanksgiving and New Year's! <_< I didn't eat that much of it - gave most of it away. This is my first holiday season since being diagnosed and I didn't trust myself not to eat cookies warm from the oven. Rugelach, pecan tassies, triple chocolate cookies with nuts.... I missed the tradition. Maybe next year I'll feel comfortable enough that I can still bake for others and not be tempted to taste.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1,062 Guests (See full list)

• Top Posters +

• Recent Articles

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/18/2018 - Celiac disease has been mainly associated with Caucasian populations in Northern Europe, and their descendants in other countries, but new scientific evidence is beginning to challenge that view. Still, the exact global prevalence of celiac disease remains unknown.  To get better data on that issue, a team of researchers recently conducted a comprehensive review and meta-analysis to get a reasonably accurate estimate the global prevalence of celiac disease. 
    The research team included P Singh, A Arora, TA Strand, DA Leffler, C Catassi, PH Green, CP Kelly, V Ahuja, and GK Makharia. They are variously affiliated with the Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts; Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi, India; Innlandet Hospital Trust, Lillehammer, Norway; Centre for International Health, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway; Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts; Gastroenterology Research and Development, Takeda Pharmaceuticals Inc, Cambridge, MA; Department of Pediatrics, Università Politecnica delle Marche, Ancona, Italy; Department of Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York; USA Celiac Disease Center, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York; and the Department of Gastroenterology and Human Nutrition, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India.
    For their review, the team searched Medline, PubMed, and EMBASE for the keywords ‘celiac disease,’ ‘celiac,’ ‘tissue transglutaminase antibody,’ ‘anti-endomysium antibody,’ ‘endomysial antibody,’ and ‘prevalence’ for studies published from January 1991 through March 2016. 
    The team cross-referenced each article with the words ‘Asia,’ ‘Europe,’ ‘Africa,’ ‘South America,’ ‘North America,’ and ‘Australia.’ They defined celiac diagnosis based on European Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition guidelines. The team used 96 articles of 3,843 articles in their final analysis.
    Overall global prevalence of celiac disease was 1.4% in 275,818 individuals, based on positive blood tests for anti-tissue transglutaminase and/or anti-endomysial antibodies. The pooled global prevalence of biopsy-confirmed celiac disease was 0.7% in 138,792 individuals. That means that numerous people with celiac disease potentially remain undiagnosed.
    Rates of celiac disease were 0.4% in South America, 0.5% in Africa and North America, 0.6% in Asia, and 0.8% in Europe and Oceania; the prevalence was 0.6% in female vs 0.4% males. Celiac disease was significantly more common in children than adults.
    This systematic review and meta-analysis showed celiac disease to be reported worldwide. Blood test data shows celiac disease rate of 1.4%, while biopsy data shows 0.7%. The prevalence of celiac disease varies with sex, age, and location. 
    This review demonstrates a need for more comprehensive population-based studies of celiac disease in numerous countries.  The 1.4% rate indicates that there are 91.2 million people worldwide with celiac disease, and 3.9 million are in the U.S.A.
    Source:
    Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2018 Jun;16(6):823-836.e2. doi: 10.1016/j.cgh.2017.06.037.

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/16/2018 - Summer is the time for chips and salsa. This fresh salsa recipe relies on cabbage, yes, cabbage, as a secret ingredient. The cabbage brings a delicious flavor and helps the salsa hold together nicely for scooping with your favorite chips. The result is a fresh, tasty salsa that goes great with guacamole.
    Ingredients:
    3 cups ripe fresh tomatoes, diced 1 cup shredded green cabbage ½ cup diced yellow onion ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro 1 jalapeno, seeded 1 Serrano pepper, seeded 2 tablespoons lemon juice 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar 2 garlic cloves, minced salt to taste black pepper, to taste Directions:
    Purée all ingredients together in a blender.
    Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. 
    Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, as desired. 
    Serve is a bowl with tortilla chips and guacamole.

Dr. Ron Hoggan, Ed.D.
    Celiac.com 06/15/2018 - There seems to be widespread agreement in the published medical research reports that stuttering is driven by abnormalities in the brain. Sometimes these are the result of brain injuries resulting from a stroke. Other types of brain injuries can also result in stuttering. Patients with Parkinson’s disease who were treated with stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus, an area of the brain that regulates some motor functions, experienced a return or worsening of stuttering that improved when the stimulation was turned off (1). Similarly, stroke has also been reported in association with acquired stuttering (2). While there are some reports of psychological mechanisms underlying stuttering, a majority of reports seem to favor altered brain morphology and/or function as the root of stuttering (3). Reports of structural differences between the brain hemispheres that are absent in those who do not stutter are also common (4). About 5% of children stutter, beginning sometime around age 3, during the phase of speech acquisition. However, about 75% of these cases resolve without intervention, before reaching their teens (5). Some cases of aphasia, a loss of speech production or understanding, have been reported in association with damage or changes to one or more of the language centers of the brain (6). Stuttering may sometimes arise from changes or damage to these same language centers (7). Thus, many stutterers have abnormalities in the same regions of the brain similar to those seen in aphasia.
    So how, you may ask, is all this related to gluten? As a starting point, one report from the medical literature identifies a patient who developed aphasia after admission for severe diarrhea. By the time celiac disease was diagnosed, he had completely lost his faculty of speech. However, his speech and normal bowel function gradually returned after beginning a gluten free diet (8). This finding was so controversial at the time of publication (1988) that the authors chose to remain anonymous. Nonetheless, it is a valuable clue that suggests gluten as a factor in compromised speech production. At about the same time (late 1980’s) reports of connections between untreated celiac disease and seizures/epilepsy were emerging in the medical literature (9).
    With the advent of the Internet a whole new field of anecdotal information was emerging, connecting a variety of neurological symptoms to celiac disease. While many medical practitioners and researchers were casting aspersions on these assertions, a select few chose to explore such claims using scientific research designs and methods. While connections between stuttering and gluten consumption seem to have been overlooked by the medical research community, there is a rich literature on the Internet that cries out for more structured investigation of this connection. Conversely, perhaps a publication bias of the peer review process excludes work that explores this connection.
    Whatever the reason that stuttering has not been reported in the medical literature in association with gluten ingestion, a number of personal disclosures and comments suggesting a connection between gluten and stuttering can be found on the Internet. Abid Hussain, in an article about food allergy and stuttering said: “The most common food allergy prevalent in stutterers is that of gluten which has been found to aggravate the stutter” (10). Similarly, Craig Forsythe posted an article that includes five cases of self-reporting individuals who believe that their stuttering is or was connected to gluten, one of whom also experiences stuttering from foods containing yeast (11). The same site contains one report of a stutterer who has had no relief despite following a gluten free diet for 20 years (11). Another stutterer, Jay88, reports the complete disappearance of her/his stammer on a gluten free diet (12). Doubtless there are many more such anecdotes to be found on the Internet* but we have to question them, exercising more skepticism than we might when reading similar claims in a peer reviewed scientific or medical journal.
    There are many reports in such journals connecting brain and neurological ailments with gluten, so it is not much of a stretch, on that basis alone, to suspect that stuttering may be a symptom of the gluten syndrome. Rodney Ford has even characterized celiac disease as an ailment that may begin through gluten-induced neurological damage (13) and Marios Hadjivassiliou and his group of neurologists and neurological investigators have devoted considerable time and effort to research that reveals gluten as an important factor in a majority of neurological diseases of unknown origin (14) which, as I have pointed out previously, includes most neurological ailments.
    My own experience with stuttering is limited. I stuttered as a child when I became nervous, upset, or self-conscious. Although I have been gluten free for many years, I haven’t noticed any impact on my inclination to stutter when upset. I don’t know if they are related, but I have also had challenges with speaking when distressed and I have noticed a substantial improvement in this area since removing gluten from my diet. Nonetheless, I have long wondered if there is a connection between gluten consumption and stuttering. Having done the research for this article, I would now encourage stutterers to try a gluten free diet for six months to see if it will reduce or eliminate their stutter. Meanwhile, I hope that some investigator out there will research this matter, publish her findings, and start the ball rolling toward getting some definitive answers to this question.
    Sources:
    1. Toft M, Dietrichs E. Aggravated stuttering following subthalamic deep brain stimulation in Parkinson’s disease--two cases. BMC Neurol. 2011 Apr 8;11:44.
    2. Tani T, Sakai Y. Stuttering after right cerebellar infarction: a case study. J Fluency Disord. 2010 Jun;35(2):141-5. Epub 2010 Mar 15.
    3. Lundgren K, Helm-Estabrooks N, Klein R. Stuttering Following Acquired Brain Damage: A Review of the Literature. J Neurolinguistics. 2010 Sep 1;23(5):447-454.
    4. Jäncke L, Hänggi J, Steinmetz H. Morphological brain differences between adult stutterers and non-stutterers. BMC Neurol. 2004 Dec 10;4(1):23.
    5. Kell CA, Neumann K, von Kriegstein K, Posenenske C, von Gudenberg AW, Euler H, Giraud AL. How the brain repairs stuttering. Brain. 2009 Oct;132(Pt 10):2747-60. Epub 2009 Aug 26.
    6. Galantucci S, Tartaglia MC, Wilson SM, Henry ML, Filippi M, Agosta F, Dronkers NF, Henry RG, Ogar JM, Miller BL, Gorno-Tempini ML. White matter damage in primary progressive aphasias: a diffusion tensor tractography study. Brain. 2011 Jun 11.
    7. Lundgren K, Helm-Estabrooks N, Klein R. Stuttering Following Acquired Brain Damage: A Review of the Literature. J Neurolinguistics. 2010 Sep 1;23(5):447-454.
    8. [No authors listed] Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Weekly clinicopathological exercises. Case 43-1988. A 52-year-old man with persistent watery diarrhea and aphasia. N Engl J Med. 1988 Oct 27;319(17):1139-48
    9. Molteni N, Bardella MT, Baldassarri AR, Bianchi PA. Celiac disease associated with epilepsy and intracranial calcifications: report of two patients. Am J Gastroenterol. 1988 Sep;83(9):992-4.
    10. http://ezinearticles.com/?Food-Allergy-and-Stuttering-Link&id=1235725 
    11. http://www.craig.copperleife.com/health/stuttering_allergies.htm 
    12. https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/73362-any-help-is-appreciated/
    13. Ford RP. The gluten syndrome: a neurological disease. Med Hypotheses. 2009 Sep;73(3):438-40. Epub 2009 Apr 29.
    14. Hadjivassiliou M, Gibson A, Davies-Jones GA, Lobo AJ, Stephenson TJ, Milford-Ward A. Does cryptic gluten sensitivity play a part in neurological illness? Lancet. 1996 Feb 10;347(8998):369-71.

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/14/2018 - Refractory celiac disease type II (RCDII) is a rare complication of celiac disease that has high death rates. To diagnose RCDII, doctors identify a clonal population of phenotypically aberrant intraepithelial lymphocytes (IELs). 
    However, researchers really don’t have much data regarding the frequency and significance of clonal T cell receptor (TCR) gene rearrangements (TCR-GRs) in small bowel (SB) biopsies of patients without RCDII. Such data could provide useful comparison information for patients with RCDII, among other things.
    To that end, a research team recently set out to try to get some information about the frequency and importance of clonal T cell receptor (TCR) gene rearrangements (TCR-GRs) in small bowel (SB) biopsies of patients without RCDII. The research team included Shafinaz Hussein, Tatyana Gindin, Stephen M Lagana, Carolina Arguelles-Grande, Suneeta Krishnareddy, Bachir Alobeid, Suzanne K Lewis, Mahesh M Mansukhani, Peter H R Green, and Govind Bhagat.
    They are variously affiliated with the Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, and the Department of Medicine at the Celiac Disease Center, New York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center, New York, USA. Their team analyzed results of TCR-GR analyses performed on SB biopsies at our institution over a 3-year period, which were obtained from eight active celiac disease, 172 celiac disease on gluten-free diet, 33 RCDI, and three RCDII patients and 14 patients without celiac disease. 
    Clonal TCR-GRs are not infrequent in cases lacking features of RCDII, while PCPs are frequent in all disease phases. TCR-GR results should be assessed in conjunction with immunophenotypic, histological and clinical findings for appropriate diagnosis and classification of RCD.
    The team divided the TCR-GR patterns into clonal, polyclonal and prominent clonal peaks (PCPs), and correlated these patterns with clinical and pathological features. In all, they detected clonal TCR-GR products in biopsies from 67% of patients with RCDII, 17% of patients with RCDI and 6% of patients with gluten-free diet. They found PCPs in all disease phases, but saw no significant difference in the TCR-GR patterns between the non-RCDII disease categories (p=0.39). 
    They also noted a higher frequency of surface CD3(−) IELs in cases with clonal TCR-GR, but the PCP pattern showed no associations with any clinical or pathological feature. 
    Repeat biopsy showed that the clonal or PCP pattern persisted for up to 2 years with no evidence of RCDII. The study indicates that better understanding of clonal T cell receptor gene rearrangements may help researchers improve refractory celiac diagnosis. 
    Source:
    Journal of Clinical Pathologyhttp://dx.doi.org/10.1136/jclinpath-2018-205023

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/13/2018 - There have been numerous reports that olmesartan, aka Benicar, seems to trigger sprue‐like enteropathy in many patients, but so far, studies have produced mixed results, and there really hasn’t been a rigorous study of the issue. A team of researchers recently set out to assess whether olmesartan is associated with a higher rate of enteropathy compared with other angiotensin II receptor blockers (ARBs).
    The research team included Y.‐H. Dong; Y. Jin; TN Tsacogianis; M He; PH Hsieh; and JJ Gagne. They are variously affiliated with the Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School in Boston, MA, USA; the Faculty of Pharmacy, School of Pharmaceutical Science at National Yang‐Ming University in Taipei, Taiwan; and the Department of Hepato‐Gastroenterology, Chi Mei Medical Center in Tainan, Taiwan.
    To get solid data on the issue, the team conducted a cohort study among ARB initiators in 5 US claims databases covering numerous health insurers. They used Cox regression models to estimate hazard ratios (HRs) and 95% confidence intervals (CIs) for enteropathy‐related outcomes, including celiac disease, malabsorption, concomitant diagnoses of diarrhea and weight loss, and non‐infectious enteropathy. In all, they found nearly two million eligible patients. 
    They then assessed those patients and compared the results for olmesartan initiators to initiators of other ARBs after propensity score (PS) matching. They found unadjusted incidence rates of 0.82, 1.41, 1.66 and 29.20 per 1,000 person‐years for celiac disease, malabsorption, concomitant diagnoses of diarrhea and weight loss, and non‐infectious enteropathy respectively. 
    After PS matching comparing olmesartan to other ARBs, hazard ratios were 1.21 (95% CI, 1.05‐1.40), 1.00 (95% CI, 0.88‐1.13), 1.22 (95% CI, 1.10‐1.36) and 1.04 (95% CI, 1.01‐1.07) for each outcome. Patients aged 65 years and older showed greater hazard ratios for celiac disease, as did patients receiving treatment for more than 1 year, and patients receiving higher cumulative olmesartan doses.
    This is the first comprehensive multi‐database study to document a higher rate of enteropathy in olmesartan initiators as compared to initiators of other ARBs, though absolute rates were low for both groups.
    Source:
    Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics