Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jerseyangel

Party Invitations

I need help :D

My sister and I are planning an 80th birthday party for our dad next month. I'm doing the invitations, and need some good ideas on how to request no gifts--beside simply stating "no gifts". I'm sure that would be fine, but I'm thinking I'd prefer something a little less blunt.

Thanks in advance for any light and witty ideas you can give me :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have seen things that say stuff like

only your presence is needed

your presence is the only gift needed

or you could only ask for cards and then do a nice scrapbook for your father when it is over.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

Join eNewsletter

Your presence is the only present needed. No gifts please.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

I agree this works well. I also like the idea of a scrapbook of cards and other mementos. Perhaps you could request old photos and the memories that go with them in lieu of a gift. Then put those together into a book. EVERYBODY loves to look at old photos and remember when! :)

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .

"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)

The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

Join eNewsletter

I agree this works well. I also like the idea of a scrapbook of cards and other mementos. Perhaps you could request old photos and the memories that go with them in lieu of a gift. Then put those together into a book. EVERYBODY loves to look at old photos and remember when! :)

When my husband's aunt turned seventy (a miracle, because she had cancer for many years) her son and his wife asked everybody in the family as well as friends to send pictures, cards, poems, stories etc. to make a scrapbook for her.

She loved it, and whenever people would visit she would bring it out to look through it. I can't imagine that anything else would have delighted her as much (especially because she really didn't need anything).

For years I would see in the paper when birthday parties for older people were announced. They'd often say, "Best wishes only, please". Not originally being English speaking, plus not understanding certain phrases and sayings without explanation (due to Asperger Syndrome I guess), for years I was thinking to myself, "Why did they need to say that, wouldn't people who didn't wish them well want to stay away?

Finally, after many years I asked somebody why they said that, and was told that it meant they didn't want gifts, just cards! I felt awfully foolish. :huh::rolleyes:

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join eNewsletter

I have seen things that say stuff like

only your presence is needed

your presence is the only gift needed

or you could only ask for cards and then do a nice scrapbook for your father when it is over.

paula

Thanks Paula--great suggestions...we did a scrapbook/collage when my parents had their 50th wedding anniversary a few years ago.

Your presence is the only present needed. No gifts please.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

I like this--

For years I would see in the paper when birthday parties for older people were announced. They'd often say, "Best wishes only, please". Not originally being English speaking, plus not understanding certain phrases and sayings without explanation (due to Asperger Syndrome I guess), for years I was thinking to myself, "Why did they need to say that, wouldn't people who didn't wish them well want to stay away?

Finally, after many years I asked somebody why they said that, and was told that it meant they didn't want gifts, just cards! I felt awfully foolish. :huh::rolleyes:

:lol: Oh Ursa--bless your heart!

Thanks to everyone :)

Patti

Join eNewsletter

Along the lines of a scrapbook . . .

I tried to do this AT my Mom & Dad's 50th. I should have had people bring it with them because once they got there, it was all about visiting with each other . . .

I wanted stories of Mom & Dad. I especially wanted them from my aunts & uncles, preferably in their own handwriting and preferably about the "growing up" years. I gave them some starters.

Now you know me, my "starters" were just for fun but hopefully something to get them thinking . . .

I remember the time Kate came home from the prom drunk . . .

I remember the time Ben crashed his mom's car . . .

Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

animal0028.gif

Join eNewsletter

Now you know me, my "starters" were just for fun but hopefully something to get them thinking . . .

I remember the time Kate came home from the prom drunk . . .

I remember the time Ben crashed his mom's car . . .

:lol: Janet, with my goofy family I could come up with some doozies.....unfortunately, a few of them just don't share my sense of humoUr. Imagine that :huh:

Patti

Join eNewsletter

I guess I'm blunt. I just put "no gifts please". :P

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Join eNewsletter

Lol, that's a funny story!! As a native speaker of english, I didn't know what the meant until you told me, either.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Join eNewsletter

Lol, that's a funny story!! As a native speaker of english, I didn't know what the meant until you told me, either.

ditto here.

I am a "literalist" and tend to take everything at face value.. it's also a little naive of me...but I too would be scratching my head over that. I'd say to myself "Surely I am going to go to the party with a gift AND best wishes." I often have to ask myself when I read or am told something like that "Does the person mean something else?"

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Join eNewsletter

ditto here.

I am a "literalist" and tend to take everything at face value.. it's also a little naive of me...but I too would be scratching my head over that. I'd say to myself "Surely I am going to go to the party with a gift AND best wishes." I often have to ask myself when I read or am told something like that "Does the person mean something else?"

Same here. I guess I need the blunt way.

Shellfish free since 1980

Milk free (all forms) since 1991

Feingold in 2003

First gluten-free round 2007

Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

Join eNewsletter

I don't have anything to add Patti, everyone gave such great suggestions.

I just wanted to say have a great party for your Dad :)

They were very good suggestions :D Thanks Julie, I'm looking forward to seeing everyone and the look on my dad's face, as it's going to be a surprise.

Patti

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter