Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jennyofmany

Hypoglycemia With Celiac

I finally figured out that I may have Celiac. I went on the gluten free diet and had heavy withdrawal symptoms for the first few weeks. I've also been reading books about wheat gluten intolerance and was surprised to find out that nobody digests wheat completely. So I know that I am correct in going gluten free. But what I can't seem to get a handle on is my hypoglycemia. I've been having it really bad now and yet before it was getting better with the gluten free diet. Now it's getting bad again. Has anyone had to deal with hypoglycemia with their Celiac. I was glutened last Thursday and this is when the hypoglycemia started getting really bad so it is showing a connection with Celiac. Does anyone else have hypoglycemia with their Celiac and did your hypoglycemia improve, get worse or go away after going gluten free. I've been gluten free for about month now. Still not sure if it is working. My bowels are better, but the hypoglycemia is up and down. Not sure where to go from here. Any advice or personal stories about hypoglycemia with Celiac would be greatly appreciated!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I was hypoglycemic before gluten-free (and before I needed to be gluten-free, as far as I can tell). I have not noticed a difference in how my hypoglycemia goes with the gluten-free diet (or CF for that matter), but as long as I keep my meals well balanced (30/30/40 is ideal for me), I generally experience no symptoms and can go for many hours (5+) without any blood sugar drops at all. Once I get off the habit of eating that way regularly, my blood sugar doesn't stay quite that stable, of course, but maintaining balanced meals/snacks does it for me.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Join eNewsletter

I went through this not too long ago, and learned that I really have to plan my food like clockwork, and always have snacks with me. I try and eat some protein (preferably meat of some kind) and a carb every 2-3 hours. I buy a lot of stuff at costco that I can just throw into ziplocs and take with me to work or whereever I go. Hang in there, you'll figure out your routine :)

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Join eNewsletter

I dealt with episodes of hypoglycemia for a long time before I went gluten-free. Like the other posters said, I had to have planned snacks every few hours. If not, I would get panicky, shaky and very irritable. I do believe it is related to celiac because it seemed to go away when I cut gluten out and came back with a vengeance (like everything else) with my gluten challenge. I guess it makes sense when you aren't absorbing things normally, your metabolism and basic bodily functions just can't work normally.

It took a few weeks for my body to regulate itself, and I still have to eat my snacks, but it is nothing like it used to be. It does help to have a balanced snack with some protein, fat and carbs.

Join eNewsletter

I, too, have hypoglycemia. It used to be really bad. I did the 5 hour glucose test and was shown to be. The doctor however was skeptical, even when between the 3 and 4 hour I passed out in the waiting room. It has gotten alot better but I do have to eat every 2-3 hours.

jennyj

Diagnosed March 2006 celiac sprue

Severe iron deficent anemia Jan 2002

Hypoglecemia 2000

"I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me"

Join eNewsletter

I was hypoglycemic before gluten-free (and before I needed to be gluten-free, as far as I can tell). I have not noticed a difference in how my hypoglycemia goes with the gluten-free diet (or CF for that matter), but as long as I keep my meals well balanced (30/30/40 is ideal for me), I generally experience no symptoms and can go for many hours (5+) without any blood sugar drops at all. Once I get off the habit of eating that way regularly, my blood sugar doesn't stay quite that stable, of course, but maintaining balanced meals/snacks does it for me.

I'm the same as you. I experience no hypoglycemia syptoms as long as I balance my food and don't allow myself to get really hungry (I eat frequent small snacks between meals (protein/fat and carb source - usually fruit or veg).

Join eNewsletter

I haven't been officially DX'd with hypoglycemia, but I get pretty bad blood sugar drops if I don't eat frequently. I start to get really shaky and feel like I'm going to throw up and pass out. I don't know that I'm full blown hypoglycemic, but I do know that I need to listen to my body. I bring my lunch every day, and there are times when I've eaten it all before second period (9:30) because I eat breakfast at 5:30. But I know to let myself do that and just buy an apple in the cafeteria at lunch (at that point I won't be as hungry, it'll tide me over until I get home at 2). I have found that ignoring conventional meal times and eating when hungry helps- if left to my own devices I eat dinner at 5 and I'm good for the night.

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

Join eNewsletter

I finally figured out that I may have Celiac. I went on the gluten free diet and had heavy withdrawal symptoms for the first few weeks. I've also been reading books about wheat gluten intolerance and was surprised to find out that nobody digests wheat completely. So I know that I am correct in going gluten free. But what I can't seem to get a handle on is my hypoglycemia. I've been having it really bad now and yet before it was getting better with the gluten free diet. Now it's getting bad again. Has anyone had to deal with hypoglycemia with their Celiac. I was glutened last Thursday and this is when the hypoglycemia started getting really bad so it is showing a connection with Celiac. Does anyone else have hypoglycemia with their Celiac and did your hypoglycemia improve, get worse or go away after going gluten free. I've been gluten free for about month now. Still not sure if it is working. My bowels are better, but the hypoglycemia is up and down. Not sure where to go from here. Any advice or personal stories about hypoglycemia with Celiac would be greatly appreciated!

Join eNewsletter

I was diagnosed with Celiac on 9 September 2010. I've had Hypoglycemia (as a result of Pancreatitis) about 6 years ago. I'm strictly following the Hypoglycemia/Celiac Diet yet my body is still going crazy. I can't seem to control my blood sugar at all and I dont know why?? My body is up and down, hormonal, and on a psychological rollercoaster these days for some reason. What am I doing wrong? Any diet ideas? Personal stories? Insomnia has kicked in because my sugar levels are not balanced. Melissa

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter