This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Cadberry Creme Eggs Not Gluten Free!

CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

I was just reading the Easter candy thread and read the post about Cadberry Creme Eggs being gluten-free. Their label says "Glucose Sugar (Wheat)". I'm a newbie to this, so maybe I'm missing something like that in the form of glucose sugar the gluten is taken out, but if not, DON'T EAT THE EGGS!! I started a new topic because I was afraid some people might not check back and there was at least one person doing the happy dance. Sorry to stop the music, but I'd rather you not get sick!

Think Reese's...mmmmm...better than those darn creme eggs anyway...think Peeps...cuter than the those darn eggs...think...no diarrhea, vomitting or constipation...way better than those stupid eggs!!

Have a happy, healthy gluten-free Easter!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lizzy Apprentice
I was just reading the Easter candy thread and read the post about Cadberry Creme Eggs being gluten-free. Their label says "Glucose Sugar (Wheat)". I'm a newbie to this, so maybe I'm missing something like that in the form of glucose sugar the gluten is taken out, but if not, DON'T EAT THE EGGS!! I started a new topic because I was afraid some people might not check back and there was at least one person doing the happy dance. Sorry to stop the music, but I'd rather you not get sick!

Think Reese's...mmmmm...better than those darn creme eggs anyway...think Peeps...cuter than the those darn eggs...think...no diarrhea, vomitting or constipation...way better than those stupid eggs!!

HI i have checked my celiac book of gluten free foods and its listed as gluten free. hope this helps

irish daveyboy Community Regular

Hi CeliacMom2008,

There was a whole thread on this topic some time ago he's a link so you can read through it.

Open Original Shared Link

Best Regards,

David

Lisa Mentor

This is Dave's submitted post. As in ANYTHING, eat at your own risk.

GLUCOSE, GLUCOSE SYRUP AND CARAMEL COLOUR

It is important for those following a gluten-free diet to incorporate the latest valid scientific information into their diets. Under current Australian food law,

glucose, glucose syrup and caramel colour are "gluten-free",

even if derived from wheat, as the wheat is so highly processed,

there is no gluten detected.

Glucose, glucose syrup, caramel and similar ingredients have no detectable gluten, even if derived from wheat.

New food labelling laws require food labels to list all ingredients derived from wheat, rye, barley and oats.

This does not mean that all ingredients derived from these sources actually contain gluten.

So, it is a legal requirement that the source be declared, but remember that ingredients derived from wheat that are gluten free are:

dextrose, glucose and caramel colour (additive 150).

Accuracy of "Gluten-Free" Labels

The legal definition of the phrase "gluten-free" varies from country to country. Current research suggests that for persons with celiac disease the maximum safe level of gluten in a finished product is probably less than 0.02% (200 parts per million) and possibly as little as 0.002% (20 parts per million).

Australian standards reserve the "gluten free" label for foods with less than 5 parts per million of gluten, as this is the smallest amount currently detectable.

As gluten-containing grains are processed,

more and more of the gluten is removed from them,

as shown in this simple processing flow:

Wheat Flour (80,000ppm) > Wheat Starch Codex (200ppm) > Dextrin > Maltodextrin > Glucose Syrup (<5ppm) > Dextrose > Caramel Color

Unfortunately, in the United States, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not yet defined the term gluten free as it appears on food labels.

It is currently up to the manufacturers of "gluten free" food items to guarantee such a claim.

"A final rule that defines the term gluten-free and identifies the criteria that would enable the food industry to use that term" is scheduled to be released by the FDA on August 2nd, 2008.

Many so-called gluten free products have been found to have been contaminated with gluten (such as Pamela's cookies, etc.).

Reference

United States

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is proposing to,

cruelshoes Enthusiast

I won't eat them in any case (too sweet for me), but here is some information to help you make your decision.

"Open Original Shared Link" Shelley Case, author.

page: 53- "Glucose syrups are highly processed and purified in order to separate and remove the protein portion from the starch mixture. .... Although glucose syrup can be made from wheat, the processing renders it gluten free. This has been verified by scientists and research centers in Europe, Australia and other countries using the highly sensitive R5 ELISA tests."

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Someone just posting the other day the Creme Eggs are not safe....turns out neither are the mini-eggs since Hershey cannot verify what is used in their natural flavoring...

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

Personally, I would NEVER trust something printed in a book (ie: published approved lists of "OK" foods) over the actual label on the product. And, Cadbury Cream eggs CLEARLY have the word "WHEAT" in the labels.

No thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ms. Celiac Apprentice

Could someone please clarify what is meant in the post above stating that Pamela's cookies have been found to be contaminated with gluten?

cruelshoes Enthusiast
Personally, I would NEVER trust something printed in a book (ie: published approved lists of "OK" foods) over the actual label on the product. And, Cadbury Cream eggs CLEARLY have the word "WHEAT" in the labels.

The information I posted above does not realate to any product specifically. It relates to the food ingredient in question. There is no doubt that the ingredient is sourced from wheat. By law, it has to be labeled that way. The question that must be asked is whether or not the resuting food ingredient sourced from wheat has any gluten in it. This is a derivation of the never-ending McDonald's french fry debate. Yes, there is wheat in the beginning natural flavor component of McD's fries. But after all the processing, is there gluten in them? The answer, to the limits of testing at this time, is no.

Make your own choice based on the information available. Do eat the eggs, or don't eat them. I'm sure there are others with a sweet tooth and no gluten concerns that will pickup any resulting slack from the Celiac community. :lol:

PS - I'd be willing to bet cold hard cash that the ingredients of the eggs have not changed. It's only the labeling that has changed. They probably had wheat-based glucose syrup in them last year too.

itchygirl Newbie

I know they had wheat derived glucose syrup the last time I saw this argument (which was two years ago, I missed an Easter due to being in the hospital). The Cadbury UK site has some good information on this, as does the Irish Celiac site.

cruelshoes Enthusiast
Could someone please clarify what is meant in the post above stating that Pamela's cookies have been found to be contaminated with gluten?

I could find no current information on this. It seems to stem from Open Original Shared Link and Open Original Shared Link. That information is several years old, which is a lifetime in the gluten-free world. <ahttps://www.celiac.com/uploads/emoticons/default_wink.png' alt=';)'> FWIW - Open Original Shared Linksays this:

Pamela's gluten-free cookies and mixes are produced on 100% dedicated gluten-free machinery.

It does not say if the Elisa test anything. I am not saying there is any gluten in their products, however. If anyone has more current information, I would be interested in seeing it. We enjoy Pamela's products from time to time.

jayhawkmom Enthusiast
The information I posted above does not realate to any product specifically. It relates to the food ingredient in question. There is no doubt that the ingredient is sourced from wheat.

Make your own choice based on the information available. Do eat the eggs, or don't eat them. I'm sure there are others with a sweet tooth and no gluten concerns that will pickup any resulting slack from the Celiac community. :lol:

PS - I'd be willing to bet cold hard cash that the ingredients of the eggs have not changed. It's only the labeling that has changed. They probably had wheat-based glucose syrup in them last year too.

Colleen,

I was referring more to those periodically published lists that say, "so and so's orange tacos are gluten free."

Ya know what I mean? Those types of lists are usually outdated by the time they hit the sales floor. I know there are some great publications that give overall general advice based on time tested companies and what not. It's the random "list" I was referring to. I hope that clarifies my response a bit. =)

cruelshoes Enthusiast
Colleen,

I was referring more to those periodically published lists that say, "so and so's orange tacos are gluten free."

Ya know what I mean? Those types of lists are usually outdated by the time they hit the sales floor. I know there are some great publications that give overall general advice based on time tested companies and what not. It's the random "list" I was referring to. I hope that clarifies my response a bit. =)

Jayhawkmom - Thanks for clearing that up for me. I know just what you mean about safe food lists. I don't trust them either. :)

Archived