• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Daxin

Should I Have My Dd Tested?

Rate this topic

We've just had DD at the doc for the third time this year for the same thing, and stupid ear infection. he's finally talked about having tubes put in, and we are thinking about it.

The question comes from when he said she seems to be producing a lot of extra mucus, and this is leading ot the chornic ear infections. Has anyone out there heard of excess mucus prodution being a symptom of Celiac?

Our daughter and my wife's son have also had presistent gut problems their whole lives swinging between constipation and "the scoots". If we can get her in to see the doctor who helped dx me, shoudl we? Should he also run the test on my wife?

She has no other symptoms of celiac disease, and our family doc doesn't want to run the tests, and thinks the gluten-free lifestyle is rather unhealthy (with which we both disagree). I displayed no symptoms until I was in my late 20's. If I did pass it on to her, whill the symptoms come out right away, or will they wait until she's older?

We're running out of ideas.

We've just had DD at the doc for the third time this year for the same thing, and stupid ear infection. he's finally talked about having tubes put in, and we are thinking about it.

The question comes from when he said she seems to be producing a lot of extra mucus, and this is leading ot the chornic ear infections. Has anyone out there heard of excess mucus prodution being a symptom of Celiac?

Our daughter and my wife's son have also had presistent gut problems their whole lives swinging between constipation and "the scoots". If we can get her in to see the doctor who helped dx me, shoudl we? Should he also run the test on my wife?

She has no other symptoms of celiac disease, and our family doc doesn't want to run the tests, and thinks the gluten-free lifestyle is rather unhealthy (with which we both disagree). I displayed no symptoms until I was in my late 20's. If I did pass it on to her, whill the symptoms come out right away, or will they wait until she's older?

We're running out of ideas.

I have always heard that first degree relatives should always be tested. The chances are so much higher!! Now, for my opinion on a possibly "touchy" subject - I don't think I like the doctor you discussed very much at all. Your family doctor knows that you cannot tolerate gluten, then tells you that he or she thinks a gluten-free lifestyle is "rather unhealthy." My diet is much healthier without gluten. Just for example, I do not get the food cravings to eat excess breads anymore (and that is very unhealthy). If it were me, I would be off finding a much more supportive doctor!

For the others in your family, why not? If all of you have the same problem, it would be certainly easier to manage your household gluten free, and remember although statistics say 1 in 100 people have celiacs, 15% of the population is gluten intolerant. Anyway, good luck - hope this helps, Kelly