Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

imhungry

What's The Deal With Ham?

What is the problem with ham not being gluten free? I don't think I've heard specifically what the concern is. I have a butcher willing to work with me, and if I can tell him what the scoop is, I can possibly have an Easter ham!

Proud Mom of now 3 - one of which is dairy intolerant, and a hubby who is dairy intolerant.

Coconut, pseudoephedrine, lidocaine with epinephrine, sulfa and penicillin allergies for several years

Gluten, dairy and wheat intolerant since July 2007, soy intolerant since October 2008.

Be kind, for everyone you speak to is fighting their own battles.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The gluten concern is not usually the ham itself (unless injected with gluten ingredients) rather it's the glazing that may contain gluten.

There was talk last year about "Honey Baked Hams" may NOW be using gluten free glazed. I have seen NO verification about that.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

Okay - it's the glaze. I didn't really care for it sweet anyways. The saltier the better! Alright then. I am set - thanks much!

Proud Mom of now 3 - one of which is dairy intolerant, and a hubby who is dairy intolerant.

Coconut, pseudoephedrine, lidocaine with epinephrine, sulfa and penicillin allergies for several years

Gluten, dairy and wheat intolerant since July 2007, soy intolerant since October 2008.

Join eNewsletter

I'm also careful to read the label because some companies will state that the ham is processed in the same plant with wheat, etc, etc. I was going to buy bacon the other day, but noticed this disclaimer, so I didn't buy it. Would this concern anyone else?

Diagnosed Celiac via biopsy '97/Gluten Free ever since

Diagnosed Hashimoto's 04/08

Join eNewsletter

I definately react to things made ont he same equipment, but am not entirely sure about things made in the same factory - I plan to do that experiment again in the future when feeling well.

So it concerns me.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter