Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brian26

Gf Baking

I am new to this whole gluten-free thing, but I am not so new that I don't know that most ready-made gluten-free food leaves much to be desired. I've had much better luck baking myself, but I find a large variance in the quality of different mixes. Can anyone offer any advice as to which white bread mix, which all-purpose flour, etc. acts and tastes most like wheat flour? I've been hearing about Sylvan Border Farm's flour mix...anyone tried it? I'd appreciate anyh input....thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I generally don't do gluten-free bread but I know quite a few people (including the chefs at glutenfreeda) who swear by the Gluten Free Pantry French bread mix. The two women who run Glutenfreeda stopped trying to come up with their own mix and just started using this mix as a base and adapting it for all sorts of things, including pasta.

richard

Guest barbara3675

Yes, it is Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Flour Mixture. I buy it at Pick and Save where I live, but all the health food store have it and you can buy it online at his website too. It is just wonderful, you can sub it into any recipe, but you need to add some xanthun gum, about a teaspoon for every cup of flour. I used it for my Christmas baking. It works best in recipes that have more moisture. The ones that had less mositure were kind of dry. Next time I use those recipes, I am going to increase the oil or other liquid. These were cake, cookie and quick bread recipes. The two recipes on the back of the package are delightful. The banana bread is great and I have adapted that one by putting apples and raisins or blueberries in it. Using this flour is so much easier than trying to mix your own, I think.

Best of luck....Barbara

Thank you all so much for your quick replies! I am lucky enough to have the regular Kroger grocery store carry the Bob's Red Mill line, so I'll be trying it out for the first time this weekend. Thanks again!

I'd recently gotten one of Bette Hagman's newer cookbooks, The Gluten-Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy. In it is a recipe for a Bean Flour Mix that I've started using with everything. 1 part bean flour (I use chickpea), 1 part tapioca flour and 1 part cornstarch. It's been working as well or better than Bob's, imo. (And cheaper!)

There is also a recipe in the book for Sesame Bean Bread that is the best bread recipe I've tried. The bread lasts 2-3 days, staying MOIST and SOFT and has a great texture. (Can you tell I'm excited by this? :D) Where I am it takes less moisture than the recipe calls for (calls for "scant 1-1/2 cups water" but I use 1-1/4 cup) other than that, I make it just as written using the regular bread setting (not rapid) on my bread machine, too (made a slight difference.) I've made about 8 loaves since trying it a couple weeks ago. Sandwiches over the holidays were a treat, now they are just normal again. Yea!

I use Bette Hagman's "The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread". Her recipe for gluten-free Flour Mix (which can be used cup for cup in place of wheat flour) is :

For 9 cups~ 6 cups Rice Flour (2 parts)

2 cups Potato Starch* (2/3 part) *this is potato flour, not potato starch

1 cup Tapioca Flour (1/3 part)

I like her recipe for French Bread best. I can make rolls out of it too and therefore use it for hamburger buns, etc. By adding Dough Enhancer (find it at health food stores), the bread lasts weeks stored in the refrigerator and may be frozen as well.

Her cookbooks were the best investment I've ever made.

I have a favorite flour mix, if you can find the ingredients...

It is all rice flour, no need for xanthan gum (or any other binder!), and it cooks just like wheat flour!

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2434&st=0

Happy baking!

Connie

gluten-free since 1-'98

I mix my own flour. I use 1 part each of garbanzo bean, soy, potato, tapioca, and cornstarch. When I bake something, I use 2 parts of my flour and 1 part of cornstarch, and a pinch of xanthan gum. It works very well for me.