Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amelia01

If My Blood Tests Were False Negative Will My Family's Be Too?

All of my celiac blood tests came up negative, not even borderline. I was diagnosed with Marsh 2 degree celiac through a biopsy. My mother and father have both been tested only with a blood test (Mom negative, awaiting on Dad's results). What is the chance that they could be false negatives like mine? I suspect my Mother could have issues but her GP flatly refuses to go for the endoscope. And I am having a hard time convincing her too.

Any ideas if the false negative runs in families?

Thanks

Amelia

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

All of my celiac blood tests came up negative, not even borderline. I was diagnosed with Marsh 2 degree celiac through a biopsy. My mother and father have both been tested only with a blood test (Mom negative, awaiting on Dad's results). What is the chance that they could be false negatives like mine? I suspect my Mother could have issues but her GP flatly refuses to go for the endoscope. And I am having a hard time convincing her too.

Any ideas if the false negative runs in families?

Thanks

Amelia

I don't think it necessarily 'runs' in families.

My hubby had negative bloods .....positive biopsy - whereas my son had positive bloods w/pos biopsy.

It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

black_cat.gif

Join eNewsletter

Were you or they IgA deficient? If so, then you can have false negatives.

After that, I think its hard to predict if its a false negative/runs in families. Also, did they have the full panel run or only some of the bloodwork?

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter