Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lisa

Woman Lives On Toilet - Ap News

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

That has to be one of the strangest things I've ever read or heard of... WOW! :huh:

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09

Join eNewsletter

I can understand the depression and the fear--what I can't understand is how the boyfriend let it go so long before he called for help.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

Wow, this is bizarre :o! Hard to even comprehend. I certainly hope she is able to get the mental help she requires and maybe a gluten-free diet as well. It's hard to understand why the boyfriend wouldn't have reached out for help earlier but I guess I don't know what his circumstances are either. Maybe he could benefit from contact with a mental health professional as well; sounds like he was somewhat out of touch with reality. Very sad story all around.

Join eNewsletter

I can understand the depression and the fear--what I can't understand is how the boyfriend let it go so long before he called for help.

Hubby and I were talking about this this morning. We were trying to figure out exactly HOW you would tell someone that your friend would not get off the toilet.

Shellfish free since 1980

Milk free (all forms) since 1991

Feingold in 2003

First gluten-free round 2007

Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

Join eNewsletter

The only thing I can think of is that when he said to others "She's always in the bathroom." They felt he was just saying what every guy says and he was exaggerating.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Join eNewsletter

That story is so sad. I do hope they both get the help they need and that they don't do something cruel like charge him with something....well unless she was chained to the sink.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

The paper here today said they were thinking about charging him, it is so sad. Im guessing they had two bathrooms and he used the other one since she was stuck on the toilet.

Hubby and I were talking about this today and he said he would of called for help after an week if i refused to leave the bathroom.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

Join eNewsletter

Huh...

I suppose it's really not that different than any other form of Agoraphobia other than her location.

She chose the bathroom, others choose the living room, bedroom, kitchen, or simply the entire house.

Think for example of the 5:00 news. We occasionally see stories of a person who lived for years never leaving his/her home. The home is often filled with feces, bags of trash, etc. and often, no one is aware of the problem until the person dies in the home. Sad, but true. These examples, of course, are extremes. The manifistations of this disorder exist on a continuum.

Hopefully she and her boyfriend will both get the help they need. -Julie

Loves of my life: God, my hubby, and my baby boy!

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"Life's a dance you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"

(John Michael Montgomery).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."

(Garth Brooks).

Join eNewsletter

It's my understanding that both of them struggled with mental health/capacity issues. What I find so very sad is that apparently there isn't anyone there for them to care, help or even notice what a bizarre situation they were living with! They can't charge the boyfriend with negligence if he has not the capacity to understand right from wrong, or strange from normal, at least I hope not. We are praying that they get the help they need from somewhere. I would imagine the she will be wheelchair bound; there can't be any muscle tone. I wonder, too about the nerve and circulation damage! Poor people!!

GOD IS GREAT, GOD IS GOOD, THANK YOU FOR OUR GLUTEN-FREE FOOD!

MUSIC IS THE BREATH OF LIFE

Theresa

Join eNewsletter

Well I guess when she say's 'maybe tomorrow' he's more worried about possibly traumatising her and forcing the issue.

I know its a long time but she was presumably pretty depressed and it can be very hard to choose the moment to 'betray' that person's trust.

Retrospectively with 20/20 hindsight he probably knows he should have done it earlier but when exactly is a difficult question ?

1 Week ? 1 month ?

Having lived with someone manically depressed I know its very hard to make that betrayal ... (as they see it) .. at some point you have to decide for them they are not fit to make the descision about calling in help but in the end it has two outcomes .. they may be committed for their own safety (and involuntary pscychiatric treatment is hardly the most effective and can push them over the edge) or they might come round.

I had to walk away from my ex ... I took the step of informing her parents (which she will never forgive me for) but as someone told me here (no names) she has to make that descision to get help by herself or die.

This guy will get a lot of flack for being put into an impossible situation ... which I'm sure he now realises he could have handled better but after 1 month he had no idea it would go on for 2 years...

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

Join eNewsletter

Very well stated flourgirl!

Loves of my life: God, my hubby, and my baby boy!

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"Life's a dance you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"

(John Michael Montgomery).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."

(Garth Brooks).

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter