Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoriG

Pizza Crust Diaster W/ Egg Replacer!

I usually use Chebe pizza mix and have really enjoyed it until now. Last night I used Ener G egg replacer because I'm eliminating eggs right now. It was awful! Chalky, chewy, falling apart. What did I do wrong? How else can I make my stand by pizza crusts without eggs? Any advice? Thanks!

Years of symptoms: depression, chronic fatigue, insomnia, irritability, constipation

Hashimoto's/Hypothyroid 2001

Had to go into alternative medicine to get answers

Positive enterolab results 10/07

Gluten free 8/07

Dairy free 10/07

Adrenal fatigue

Still not all that well - looking at other foods intolerances

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Eggs serve several purposes in baked goods. Most of the time, they serve the purpose of binding and/or leavening. In my experience, ener-g egg replacer does a good job of replacing the leavening power of eggs, but does little to compensate for the binding properties. If I were going to make Chebe without eggs, I would use flax gel. 1 Egg = 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed to 2 to 3 tablespoons of water. Just combine the flax meal with very hot water and let it sit on the counter until it forms a gel. Then use it like you would an egg. Here is a page with other ideas for replacing eggs. Also, I always add a tablespoon of baking powder to my Chebe because I like the extra boost it gives.

Hope this helps.

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Join eNewsletter

Eggs serve several purposes in baked goods. Most of the time, they serve the purpose of binding and/or leavening. In my experience, ener-g egg replacer does a good job of replacing the leavening power of eggs, but does little to compensate for the binding properties. If I were going to make Chebe without eggs, I would use flax gel. 1 Egg = 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed to 2 to 3 tablespoons of water. Just combine the flax meal with very hot water and let it sit on the counter until it forms a gel. Then use it like you would an egg. Here is a page with other ideas for replacing eggs. Also, I always add a tablespoon of baking powder to my Chebe because I like the extra boost it gives.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Colleen. I will try this.

Years of symptoms: depression, chronic fatigue, insomnia, irritability, constipation

Hashimoto's/Hypothyroid 2001

Had to go into alternative medicine to get answers

Positive enterolab results 10/07

Gluten free 8/07

Dairy free 10/07

Adrenal fatigue

Still not all that well - looking at other foods intolerances

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter