Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mango04

Question About Honey In Europe

I've never really heard of barley sugar, or putting barley sugar in honey. Is this common in honey over here? Most of the labels I'm seeing aren't in English but I do see "with the taste of barley sugar" on some of them. I ended up buying honey in a little bear bottle that just says "vceli med" on the label (I suppose that means "honey" lol).

Anyways, just wondering if it's common for honey to contain barley sugar, because I've never considered that before.

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

There's no barley sugar in any of the honey's I buy here (England) :)

It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

black_cat.gif

Join eNewsletter

I think Germans would have a fit if their honey had anything else added to it! If there is barley in honey wherever you are right now, it must be a local thing. I have never heard of that before.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join eNewsletter

I've never really heard of barley sugar, or putting barley sugar in honey. Is this common in honey over here? Most of the labels I'm seeing aren't in English but I do see "with the taste of barley sugar" on some of them. I ended up buying honey in a little bear bottle that just says "vceli med" on the label (I suppose that means "honey" lol).

Anyways, just wondering if it's common for honey to contain barley sugar, because I've never considered that before.

Hi 'Mango04',

'A taste of barley sugar' is exactly what it is, a flavour of 'Barley Sugar', a type of hard boiled candy

most notable in the UK.

Barley Sugar Candy

There is NO barley whatsoever in 'Barley Sugar'.

US Food and Drug Administration.

And Finally if you want to make your own 'Barley Sugar Candy' here's a recipe from the Food Network.

Food Network Recipe for 'Barley Candy'

Hope this helps to allay any fears you had !

Best Regards,

David

Chronically Ill and lost 56lbs in 3 Months Prior to Diagnosis.

Diagnosed in Nov 2005 after Biopsy and Blood Tests

Cannot tolerate Codex Wheat Starch.

Self Taught Baker.

Bake everything from scratch using naturally gluten-free ingredients.

Join eNewsletter

ha thanks guys! I don't know why I couldn't seem to figure this out! I saw the words "barley sugar" on a brand that appeared to be imported from the UK, but it's all very confusing where I am (Czech Republic). Many of the labels are part English, part Czech...but don't really seem to make sense in either language (not that Czech would make sense to me anyways) :P I will now go fearlessly add some honey to my tea. :D Thanks!

Join eNewsletter

No...just honey.At least for Greece. Never heard of anything else.

Hope you enjoy your staying in prague. I hear it is a wonderful city. Have fun and don't be afraid of honey!! kisses

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Candida overgrowth / started treatment November 2008

Join eNewsletter

No...just honey.At least for Greece. Never heard of anything else.

Hope you enjoy your staying in prague. I hear it is a wonderful city. Have fun and don't be afraid of honey!! kisses

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter