Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mustluvcats

What Is Spelt Flour

I have noticed that breads that are listed as being made with Spelt flour have been located in the store I shop next to the gluten free products. Are these considered to be wheat free or not. I have not heard anything about them. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Regards,

Jayne

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Spelt is an ancient form of wheat. It can sometimes be tolerated by people with a wheat allergy, but it is not safe for those on a gluten free diet because the molecular structure is too similar. It is often marketed as "wheat free", but it is not gluten free.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelt

Spelt (Triticum spelta) is a hexaploid species of wheat. Spelt was an important staple in parts of Europe from the Bronze Age to medieval times; it now survives as a relict crop in Central Europe and has found a new market as a health food. Spelt is sometimes considered a subspecies of the closely related species common wheat (T. aestivum), in which case its botanical name is considered to be Triticum aestivum subsp. spelta.

Spelt is closely related to common wheat, and is not suitable for people with celiac disease. It is possible that spelt is suitable for people with a wheat allergy

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter