Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

windsordebbie

Hilo Help?

We are off to the big island Saturday and our friends from Kauai are visiting us over there too. There are 6 celiacs between our 2 families. We are cooking most of the time in Kona, but 1 day we are going to Hilo to look at U of Hawaii for their daughter and then to eat (where to go????) in Hilo, then to see lava and camp up at the volcano. We are taking lots of fruit and snacks - but would like to just eat out at least for lunch. I am hoping we can get milk for cereal in the morning in the volcano area. I think it may be too rainy for a cookout - but one possibility is to get meat at a hilo store. Suggestions?

Debbie - Windsor CA

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

There is a natural food store, island naturals I think that is across the street from Prince Kuhio Mall and in the same shopping center as Office Max and Ross. Its on the corner when you first turn into that mall. They have a number of gluten-free items.

Kona I can tell you about but HIlo is always a question. You can always bring your own soy sauce to one of the japanese places in Hilo. YOu could also call chef sandy Barr at the hawaii community college in hilo and see what she recommends.

good luck

Ken

We are off to the big island Saturday and our friends from Kauai are visiting us over there too. There are 6 celiacs between our 2 families. We are cooking most of the time in Kona, but 1 day we are going to Hilo to look at U of Hawaii for their daughter and then to eat (where to go????) in Hilo, then to see lava and camp up at the volcano. We are taking lots of fruit and snacks - but would like to just eat out at least for lunch. I am hoping we can get milk for cereal in the morning in the volcano area. I think it may be too rainy for a cookout - but one possibility is to get meat at a hilo store. Suggestions?

Debbie - Windsor CA

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

the farmer's market in hilo is fabulous. It is in the downtown area on wednesday and saturday. We (all five of us) at from this vietnamese's ladies booth for $10. the fruit was great. There was fresh AhiAhi there that I took home and cooked.

On the way from volcano to Hilo there is a health food store in the town of Kea'au. It is about 10 minutes out of Hilo. If you are headed to Hilo it is in a small shopping center on the left. Just before that on the right is a christian college. In the shopping center is a little Asian restuarant. There is a regular grocery store there too. We got food at the health food store, so I am sure you could too. I know there is one in Hilo, but we didn't go there. I bet it is bigger and I think it has a cafe. We were staying in Kea'au, so just shopped at that one.

I am envious. Have a great trip. I am from north of windsor...in Garberville

gluten . . . Kiss my grits!

pork and beef free- 1994

wheat free or wheat light- 2003

gluten free- January 2008

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter