This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sociology Report - Celiac Disease

num1habsfan

num1habsfan Rising Star

Recently for my sociology project I chose to write a 10-page report on Celiac Disease, as my topic for how a private issue has become a public issue. Instead of pasting it into here, I decided to upload it onto my online journal for you guys to take a look at (if you want to)!

EDIT: I guess if you want to look at it now you'll have to ask me where to find it privately....

~ Lisa ~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

home-based-mom Contributor

Nice job, Lisa. B)

Consider breaking it up into smaller sections and then submitting it to the online article sites such as Ezine Articles. Do an online search for "free articles" and you will find a boat load of sites. Most of these article directories have a "health" section. People who are looking for fresh content for their websites will pick it up, carry it on their websites (because you will give them permission to do so) and spread the word! ;)

2kids4me Contributor

edited.

num1habsfan Rising Star

Oh gees...I don't have the time or patience to reply to everything you said, but now I'm left feeling completely terrified my teacher is going to feel the same......if I did bad on this report, I'm very screwed since it's worth 30% of my final grade :ph34r::(

~ Lisa ~

Ursa Major Collaborator
Oh gees...I don't have the time or patience to reply to everything you said, but now I'm left feeling completely terrified my teacher is going to feel the same......if I did bad on this report, I'm very screwed since it's worth 30% of my final grade :ph34r::(

~ Lisa ~

Lisa, since it is very likely that your teacher doesn't have a clue about celiac disease, he/she won't know it is inaccurate in some places. But backing up statements by references is always needed when doing a report like that.

num1habsfan Rising Star
Lisa, since it is very likely that your teacher doesn't have a clue about celiac disease, he/she won't know it is inaccurate in some places. But backing up statements by references is always needed when doing a report like that.

Oh I sure used references...I think 12 of them. Most of them in my newsletters or cookbooks, or the allergy magazine. Only a few from websites (which was just the CCA site and CRA). Even the dates and stats are from some of those. She wanted a private issue, so it's what she got. I tried to base it on Saskatchewan's situation, then tie it into Canada...

I spent more than 2 months working on this thing...

~ Lisa ~

Ursa Major Collaborator

You know what, you can't worry about it now. So, there are a few spots that could be improved on, oh well. I am sure you will get a good mark anyway. It is obvious that you put a lot of effort into it, while a lot of kids write their reports the night before they are due.

Try to just let it go. It is out of your hands now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient
Oh I sure used references...I think 12 of them. Most of them in my newsletters or cookbooks, or the allergy magazine. Only a few from websites (which was just the CCA site and CRA). Even the dates and stats are from some of those. She wanted a private issue, so it's what she got. I tried to base it on Saskatchewan's situation, then tie it into Canada...

I read it, Lisa, and considering what you said above--I think you're fine. :) Like Ursa said, it's highly unlikely the teacher knows the fine points of Celiac. Don't worry, I honestly think you'll get a decent grade--think positive!

num1habsfan Rising Star
I read it, Lisa, and considering what you said above--I think you're fine. :) Like Ursa said, it's highly unlikely the teacher knows the fine points of Celiac. Don't worry, I honestly think you'll get a decent grade--think positive!

I can only hope you're right....I applied what we I learned in Business Communications - if it's not written directly to someone who's an expert in the field, DON'T use the technical terms.

Sorry if I keep bringing this up, I'm just trying to explain why I don't think I did a horrible job...

~ Lisa ~

jerseyangel Proficient

I I applied what we I learned in Business Communications - if it's not written directly to someone who's an expert in the field, DON'T use the technical terms.

That's all the more reason to think that you did well. Sounds like you followed instructions, did your research and put together a paper that was quite good.

There was nothing horrible about it! Take a deep breath and relax ;):D

2kids4me Contributor

I dont think you did a horrible job either. I saw that you asked for input about writing - so I gave it. I have several articles published and that is different than writing a paper for school. During the process for publication - it is edited several times.

I think I misunderstood what you had asked - perhaps you were only asking for comments regarding content. Everyone has their own style - and yours is passionate and comes from personal knowledge and experience in the health care system- which is what the teacher wanted.

Just because one individual (me) looks at it and says : "you may want to rephrase that". It doesn't mean I am right or that you should change anything.

As an author of the paper - you understand the purpose intent and message better than anyone.

I would not be offended at all if you told me " I like how I wrote it and it is my style" .

Don't feel bad , dont question something once you've handed it in. Even if the teacher has questions or remarks about it - defend the message, stand up for your writing style...

I havent been in school for number of years and forget how submitting papers is different than writing for a larger audience (publication).

Sandy

edit add on: I agree with others - you have educated your teacher about celiac, it may spark her to bring it to the attention of others or when she hears someone say - I have celiac disease - she will know at least some of the challenges in that person's world. That is terrific!

2kids4me Contributor

~ Lisa ~

You dont have to reply at all, see the post above. Your teacher is not me - I am not in her class and for all you know I am a wingnut living too close to the set of Corner Gas. :o

Ursa Major Collaborator

Lisa, it is a good paper, definitely nothing horrible about it! I still think you will get a good mark for it. It is too bad that people can't read it anymore now.

And you've educated at least your teacher a little on what it is like to have celiac disease, which is worth a lot.

jerseyangel Proficient
And you've educated at least your teacher a little on what it is like to have celiac disease, which is worth a lot.

This is very true.

Archived