This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Flour Mix......

glutenfreemeg

glutenfreemeg Newbie

I'm new to all this gluten free baking and so I bought some of this and I just can't get past the strange taste. Is it the bean flours in it? I made some biscuits and they were horrible! I have some of Bette Hagman's books and I want to try some of her recipes but a lot call for garfava flour, is it going to taste like this Bob's flour? Any ideas on what I could make with this all purpose flour that would hide the nasty taste? Thanks so much!

Megan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

Many find the bean flour unappealing. I use Bob's all-purpose in gravy and white/cream/cheese sauces and you can't taste the bean flour at all. I also use it successfully in this bread recipe, combined with other flours.

Open Original Shared Link

But I have tried it in cookies and they were terrible.

Mom23boys Contributor

It has taken us nearly 5 years to get used to the bean flour taste.

cruelshoes Enthusiast

It is definitely the bean flour. I cannot stand any of Bob's breads for this reason. I can stomach the all-purpose mix when I add it to something with strong flavors to cover it up. The BRM chocolate cake mix has bean flour in it, but you can't taste it when it's masked by the chocolate. Some of us are just supertasters, I think. I am the same way with quinoa flour. Any amount in a recipe comes through loud and clear for me.

glutenfreemeg Newbie

Thanks everyone for the replies! So do you all taste the garfava flour that is in Bette Hagman's recipes? I don't know if I want to run out and buy it if it's going to make everything taste like that.

Mom23boys Contributor
Some of us are just supertasters, I think. I am the same way with quinoa flour. Any amount in a recipe comes through loud and clear for me.

So true. I have spoiled many a "secret ingredient" with my taster.

Mom23boys Contributor

double post

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ksymonds84 Enthusiast
Thanks everyone for the replies! So do you all taste the garfava flour that is in Bette Hagman's recipes? I don't know if I want to run out and buy it if it's going to make everything taste like that.

I have Bette Hagman's recipe's and haven't done the garfava flour for the same reason, I'm worried it will taste bad and its not cheap to buy. I do like the new feather light mix. I'm at work but I believe its just white rice flour, tapioca flour, and potato flour (not starch) and something else but not potato flour. I've also made her French bread/pizza dough recipe and it is also good and no bean flour. Makes an awesome pizza crust!

sickchick Community Regular

So far it's the only thing I have tried that makes me GAG, seriously!!! BLEH I bought it once :ph34r:

:lol:

you are a brave little cookie I hope you find something better~ LOL

cruelshoes Enthusiast

I use it in recipes where there is another strong flavor to cover up the taste. Chocolate chip cookies work great with bette hagman's 4 flour bean mix. Don't eat the dough, though, because it tastes nasty. After it's baked you can't taste the beany metallic flavor anymore. Brownies would work well too, or something with spices in it. It really gives a nice texture, but needs some coverup, IMO. I absolutely cannot eat any bread with garfava flour in it, but some other people can't taste it. Go figure.

I still don't trust myself to do 100% "scratch" baking yet... I am still experimenting with mixes, I just bought "The Craving's Place" baking mix and I am making a cake... just posted the recipe.

No gluten, No Soy and No Dairy in it. And no funky flours LOL! B);):lol:

Good luck again!

MyMississippi Enthusiast

You just have to lower your expectations. :D

I use Bob's for making pumpkin muffins. banana muffins, and choco-zucchini muffins, and I think it's delish. :)

JennyC Enthusiast

Yep, garbanzo flour is discusting! :o A good substitute might be sorghum or fava bean flour.

rpf1007 Rookie

I used the garabanza/fava bean flour in Bette Hagman's spiced banana loaf and it was pretty good. The banana, cinnamon and the chocolate chips I added must have masked it because I liked it. I haven't tried it in anything plain though like normal bread.

glutenfreemeg Newbie

Thanks everyone, I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one. I'm at 6 weeks now of gluten free eating and I'm starting to get some cravings for baked goods. I love a good bread or cookie or muffin. For some reason though, I'm just sort of scared of all the elaborate formulas in all these recipes and I just keep researching and researching and not baking! I just need to get myself in the kitchen and make something, and if it's terrible, oh well! At least I learned something! :) Thanks for your support, I feel much better!

(And can I ask a weird question about the format of the forum, why is it that all the replies to each thread show up in a little list under the original post, and I have to click on each one individually. It wasn't doing this before so I'm not sure if I changed my format or something! Thanks!) :huh:

cruelshoes Enthusiast
(And can I ask a weird question about the format of the forum, why is it that all the replies to each thread show up in a little list under the original post, and I have to click on each one individually. It wasn't doing this before so I'm not sure if I changed my format or something! Thanks!) :huh:

If you go to the top of the page, you will see a button that says options. Click it and choose the standard view. That should do the trick.

I can't tell you how many things I have "baked" from a mix that has gone right into the garbage can! HAHAHAHHAA ;) It's going to take me some getting used to, I have only been gluten free for like 5 months. I stick with dinner I can't screw that up! :lol: Baking will come to me in baby steps! ;)

missy'smom Collaborator

At the top of the thread to the right, under new topic, click on "options". Then under "display modes", click on "standard". If your is showing up the way you described then somehow it got set to "outline". I happens sometimes.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I bought a big bag of the BRM flour and then couldn't stand the taste, so I tried cutting it in half and using brown rice flour for the other half. It actually worked pretty good. I made cookies and muffins with it and they were really good. Not as good as the Pamelas, but I will keep doing it until the bag is gone, then never buy it again!! :rolleyes: I made biscuits and gravy the other night-used the Pamela's biscuit recipe (tasted great but didn't look like a biscuit-too flat), but I used brown rice flour for the thickener in the gravy and it was fabulous! No grit, perfect consistancy!

glutenfreemeg Newbie
At the top of the thread to the right, under new topic, click on "options". Then under "display modes", click on "standard". If your is showing up the way you described then somehow it got set to "outline". I happens sometimes.

Thanks! That's soooooooo much better! It was taking me forever to read a thread! :)

Archived