Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fedora

Taking Daughter In For Blood Work Tomorrow

I have decided to take daughter in. I talked to the nurse on the phone. She said they could start off with blood allergy testing. I said celiac won't show on that, it is different types of antibody reaction. She said it would show grain allergies. I said they aren't the same thing. I am just going to stand my ground and force them to the the celiac panel. I am not opposed to allergy testing, not at all. I just refuse to bring her in repeatedly to get poked over and over because they can't figure it out.

Any advice. I will be requesting the full panel. Her insurance covers it if sent through Quest. The clinic uses Quest too. Any other suggestions for recommended tests while we are there?

Thank you lots!!!!!!!

gluten . . . Kiss my grits!

pork and beef free- 1994

wheat free or wheat light- 2003

gluten free- January 2008

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

be sure to print out the tests for celiac & take it with you - they will not have the info. Also, since they are drawing blood might as well have them get enough to do the iron levels, B12, D, A, potassium, etc etc. - I would get them to run everything now. Then when she is most likely negative on the celiac test - you can see if she has any problems with anemia or low vitamin levels that type of thing.

good luck & good for you for sticking up for what you know is right...

Join eNewsletter

be sure to print out the tests for celiac & take it with you - they will not have the info. Also, since they are drawing blood might as well have them get enough to do the iron levels, B12, D, A, potassium, etc etc. - I would get them to run everything now. Then when she is most likely negative on the celiac test - you can see if she has any problems with anemia or low vitamin levels that type of thing.

good luck & good for you for sticking up for what you know is right...

I agree with this advice.

Best of luck--and be sure to let us know how you do.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

Thanks for replying. I took my daughter today. She really wanted to go. I would have been fine just taking her off gluten. We do have a very supportive community with lots of awareness of gluten intolerance. She insisted(at 7) to get checked out. I am really rather proud of her.

Miracuously, it went better than expected. The dr. we saw was okay with testing her. I had brought in 12 sheets of info of the computer and didn't even have to show her. I told her the 3 symptoms were a almost complete halt in growth, irratability and sadness, and mouth sores. The dr. didn't try to tell me she had to have GI problems!!! I did say I normally don't look at her poop(she's 7), but it normally was fine. That sometimes it was lighter and loosier than normal. We had beets last week and it took her a few days to poop them out though. She said to look at them for the next week. When I described the mouth sores, the dr. said that the ones she gets in her mouth are indicative of celiac.

They did the celiac panel, food allergy panel, iron, thyroid, liver, kidney, blood count...maybe more. She was also wanting to do a parasite stool test since we drink spring water(filtered). She said she had run a celiac panel on a boy recently just to rule it out cause he had loose stools. Wow. Mainly she sees parasites from unfiltered spring water(we are in the country)

I'll let ya'll know. One week......

gluten . . . Kiss my grits!

pork and beef free- 1994

wheat free or wheat light- 2003

gluten free- January 2008

Join eNewsletter

Wow--how refreshing to hear that your doctor is knowledgeable about Celiac! Your daughter sounds like one smart cookie :D

Glad to hear it went well--let us know.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter