This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bob's gluten-free Oatmeal... Not gluten-free?

crittermom

crittermom Enthusiast

Our local store stocked Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Oats. My kids were thrilled as they both loved oatmeal and oatmeal cookies. We tried it and it didn't go well. Within 1 hour Katharine had a terrible rash on her bottom and a stomach ache. Michael's tummy hurt and he had a rash as well. Both of their BM's were almost white the next day. The next day Katharine had a hard time at school and at gymnastics. She couldn't concetrate or sit still or in gymnastics, stay on task. The following day Michael was crying and clinging to me not to drop him off at school. Michael has been demanding, cranky, and neither has been eating well. Katharine is now ok and back to her normal self, however Michael is still having issues. His BMs still have the undigested food and he is still extremely irritable. It will be one week tomorrow.

Anyone else experience this? It does say on the package that some Celiacs can't tolerate oats. I had thought it was a CC issue and that oats are suppose to be ok if they are pure oats, tested and gluten-free. Any input would be great. TIA

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I have read that the protein in oats, avenin, is molecularly similar to gluten, and that very sensitive celiacs react to it as though it were gluten.

I'm so sorry you and your kids had a bad time with it. You might try using quinoa flakes instead of oatmeal in your recipes.

Also, you might wait for a year or so, and then try oats again and see what happens.

Any chance it could have been a reaction to dairy instead of to the oats?

Nic Collaborator
I have read that the protein in oats, avenin, is molecularly similar to gluten, and that very sensitive celiacs react to it as though it were gluten.

I'm so sorry you and your kids had a bad time with it. You might try using quinoa flakes instead of oatmeal in your recipes.

Also, you might wait for a year or so, and then try oats again and see what happens.

Do you eat oats successfully? My son loved and really misses oatmeal but I wasn't sure there were any that are considered safe to eat. If you do eat them, what kind? My son is not super sensitive. He is worse with milk I think.

NIcole

JennyC Enthusiast

I waited about a year before I gave my son BRM gluten-free oats, and he did fine. Anything BRM makes with the gluten-free symbol should not be cross contaminated. Maybe you should try waiting longer before you try them on oats again.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
Do you eat oats successfully? My son loved and really misses oatmeal but I wasn't sure there were any that are considered safe to eat. If you do eat them, what kind? My son is not super sensitive. He is worse with milk I think.

NIcole

I eat regular oats on rare occasions with no noticeable reaction, but I do feel that I am taking a risk in doing so (which is why I only eat them rarely), because my reactions to small amounts of gluten are fairly subtle (though they are more pronounced than they used to be). So please don't go by my reaction!

You've probably already read here that Rice Dream milks DO contain gluten but don't list it, right? I hope you are not using that as a milk substitute.

Guest LittleMissAllergy

I had an issue with Bob's Redmill Gluten Free Oats too, but DO NOT have an issue with Lara's gluten free oats...you can order those online and give em a shot if you feel brave :)

missy'smom Collaborator

I use Gifts of Nature oats without problem.

If your kids are very sensitive you may want to consider carefully before using the quinoa flakes. The Ancient Harvest quinoa(whole grain) is made in a dedicated facility but the flakes are not and I reacted to them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac-mommy Collaborator

We eat them OFTEN! No problems.

crittermom Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply! We drink milk everyday with no problems. Katharine was lactose intolerant at first but she is fine now. I didn't know about the protein! Thanks again!

itchygirl Newbie

I live on a farm and can't figure out for the life of me how the determine that the oats are gluten free. All it takes is a few "volunteer" wheat or any of the many gluten containing weeds (this place is absolutely overgrown with wild rye-and nothing kills it-the guy who rents the place did no till last year and there was rye everywhere)

Does anybody know how they grow the oats to keep gluten producing grains out? Is there a good link?

I hate oatmeal, its always made me sick every since I was little. My roommate hates it too, since he had to eat every single day as a foster kid, because it was cheap.

rick-spiff Rookie

When we bought the gluten-free oats it came with a card. You have to start out slow!! If they aren't used to the oats they can have different bm's, stomache, etc. It says for the first week 1/4 cup dry x2 a week or 1 sm bowl oatmeal or 2 cookies.

kbtoyssni Contributor
I live on a farm and can't figure out for the life of me how the determine that the oats are gluten free. All it takes is a few "volunteer" wheat or any of the many gluten containing weeds (this place is absolutely overgrown with wild rye-and nothing kills it-the guy who rents the place did no till last year and there was rye everywhere)

Does anybody know how they grow the oats to keep gluten producing grains out? Is there a good link?

I hate oatmeal, its always made me sick every since I was little. My roommate hates it too, since he had to eat every single day as a foster kid, because it was cheap.

Maybe they test the harvested oats to 20ppm or something. Not sure how they do it.

MrsGlutenFree Newbie
When we bought the gluten-free oats it came with a card. You have to start out slow!! If they aren't used to the oats they can have different bm's, stomache, etc. It says for the first week 1/4 cup dry x2 a week or 1 sm bowl oatmeal or 2 cookies.

I was going to suggest the same thing. I also agree with the previous posters.... sometime they're just too sensitive to it. Quinoa flakes are pretty good! :) We also love the gluten free hot rice cereals! :)

I hope your little guy feels better soon!!!

cruelshoes Enthusiast
Anyone else experience this? It does say on the package that some Celiacs can't tolerate oats. I had thought it was a CC issue and that oats are suppose to be ok if they are pure oats, tested and gluten-free. Any input would be great. TIA

Oats contain the protein avenin, which is technically different from the gluten in wheat, barley and rye. The protein in wheat is called gliadin, it's horedin in barley, and secalin in the rye. Avenin in oats causes some celiacs problems, but not all. There is a small subset of celiacs that cannot tolerate oats in any form, gluten-free or not (last study I read was less than 10% cannot tolerate even the gluten-free oats). Additionally, it is also recommended that one not consider oats until at least one year after diagnosis and after getting a negative bloodwork result. This ensures that the gut has a chance to heal. My son cannot tolerate the gluten-free oats even though his bloodwork is now negative and he's been gluten-free for 2.5 years. I seem to do OK with them.

Maybe they test the harvested oats to 20ppm or something. Not sure how they do it.

Here is what the Open Original Shared Linksite says:

We maintain our own certified planting seed, and personally contracted with "Seedsmen" who have not grown any wheat, rye or barley on their land for the last 2 years and who use their combines for only Gluten Free Oats
HAK1031 Enthusiast

I haven't done well with oats when I've tried to introduce them, so I'm holding off. But if you want a good oatmeal substitute, take the enjoy life granola, add about a cup of milk, and microwave it for a couple minutes. I can't stand the cereal dry...I think it tastes like horse treats :lol: but I LOVE it hot like this, and it totally satisfies my oatmeal cravings. It's free of all common allergens and I think it's rice based. But it also has plenty of protein and fiber, and keeps you really full which is nice.

Archived