Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green12

Fun Things To Make For Easter For Kids

I found some cute ideas when searching for things to do for my nieces for Easter and thought I would share, some may need to be modified for gluten-free:

http://www.recipezaar.com/221187

http://www.recipezaar.com/221506 (Need to substitute chow mein noodles, use corn flakes or crispy rice cereal)

http://www.recipezaar.com/249935 (Is there a gluten-free cheese curl?? If not, I'm thinking sub cheddar cheese pop corn, or cheddar gluten-free crackers, something orange)

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/recip...=52792&ctx= (Sub vanilla wafer with a gluten-free wafer cookie, or go crustless)

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/recip...=94173&ctx= (Use gluten-free cupcake mix, or from scratch)

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Thanks for those links, Julie!! I'm still searching for a cake recipe, but maybe I'll make banana muffins to decorate. :lol:

Mom of:

Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.

Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

Join eNewsletter

Julie, I believe Cheetos cheese curls are gluten-free. In fact, we have checked on this and have been feeding them to our youngest, and he just had his blood tests done and is testing negative for celiac antibodies so if they aren't gluten-free then he has been healed!!! :D Double check, of course, but from what we have seen they are gluten-free.

Step son (the youngest boy in picture) diagnosed with Celiac December of 2006, family eats gluten free most of the time, but not always.

I believe my husband also has Celiac, but is too stubborn to be tested.

Join eNewsletter

This one is adorable too, not sure how to tackle it and make it gluten-free, but I think it could be done:

http://www.recipezaar.com/218881

Thanks for those links, Julie!! I'm still searching for a cake recipe, but maybe I'll make banana muffins to decorate. :lol:

You're welcome Cheri :)

What kind of cake are you looking to make?

Julie, I believe Cheetos cheese curls are gluten-free. In fact, we have checked on this and have been feeding them to our youngest, and he just had his blood tests done and is testing negative for celiac antibodies so if they aren't gluten-free then he has been healed!!! :D Double check, of course, but from what we have seen they are gluten-free.

Thanks Sara for the info :)

Join eNewsletter

Maybe the "flower pots" with the lollipops could be "planted" in brownies. They would look like dirt and could be cut into a round shape with a simple cookie cutter.

Anyone have an idea for the licorice "handle" of the easter baskets?

Thanks!

Amy

Gluten Free since 4/05 - adult onset

Symptoms for 4+ years prior

Immediate family tests negative

No Known family members w/ celiac disease

Join eNewsletter

What kind of cake are you looking to make?

I have tried so many recipes and Carleigh just hasn't liked any of them, or they flop for me. I did just see on another thread another recipe for me to try though. I keep trying. I think the problem is that her allergy list is so extensive that there are so many subs.

Maybe the "flower pots" with the lollipops could be "planted" in brownies. They would look like dirt and could be cut into a round shape with a simple cookie cutter.

Anyone have an idea for the licorice "handle" of the easter baskets?

Great idea! I do think that gluten-free sugar cookies could be made in the mini muffin tins too, with KToo cookies as "dirt". I may try this one too!

For a "handle" on the easter basket, what about fruit roll-ups cut very thinly?

Mom of:

Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.

Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

Join eNewsletter

Or what about the fruit twist, that would work and give it some color since they are all didfferent colors.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

Join eNewsletter

I'm sorry I didn't realize most licorice has gluten in it, I'm just not all that familiar with candy in general let alone what is gluten-free or not :ph34r:

I know there are a handful of specialty companies you can order from that have gluten-free licorice, but that isn't helpful now since it's last minute here before Easter.

I like the fruit roll up idea that Cheri mentioned, rolled really thin like a rope and then cut to whatever length you need.

Join eNewsletter

I have tried so many recipes and Carleigh just hasn't liked any of them, or they flop for me. I did just see on another thread another recipe for me to try though. I keep trying. I think the problem is that her allergy list is so extensive that there are so many subs.

Great idea! I do think that gluten-free sugar cookies could be made in the mini muffin tins too, with KToo cookies as "dirt". I may try this one too!

I'm making a gluten free angel food cake.

GLUTEN FREE ANGEL CAKE

1 cup flour mix (try a tapioca and cornstarch mix)

1/2 cup white sugar (1st amount)

1 1/4 cup egg whites, at room temperature

1/4 tsp salt

1 1/4 tsp cream of tartar

1 tsp vanilla

1/4 tsp almond extract

1 cup white sugar (second amount)

Measure and sift together the flour mix and 1/2 cup sugar. Set aside.

In large mixer bowl combine egg whites, salt, cream of tartar, vanilla and almond extract. Beat egg white mixture until stiff enough to hold up in soft peaks, but are still moist and glossy. Add 1 cup sugar in 4 additions by sprinkling 4 Tbsp at a time over the beaten egg whites. Beat till sugar is blended, about 25 beatings strokes each time. Add flour/sugar mixture in 4 additions. Pour batter into ungreased 10 inch tube pan. Bake at 375 F for approx 35 minutes. Cool in pan upside down (on an upended jar) for 1 hour, then loosen cake from sides, and centre tube with a knife and gently remove cake.

I am serving this with whipping cream mixed with mango nectar and fresh sliced mangoes.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter