Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

silk

Testing Questions

I have been Gluten Free for several months now, discovering through the process of positive dietary response and other indicators that I have Celiac. My doctor is in agreement with the diagnosis although I have not been formerly tested because I went off of gluten before the testing could be done. But there are so many indicators that there is little to no doubt. I also have problems with cassein, tomatoes, apples, pears, beans and anything that tastes and smells like a delicious, jelly-filled donut! :P Sorry...got a little carried away there.

My middle daughter who is 22, is also symptomatic and has gone gluten free with a positive response but no testing.

Now my 12 year old, who has frequently over the past few years complained of early (pre-breakfast-pre-go-to-school) upset stomach is complaining that she has bloating and gassiness and upset when she drinks milk or eats yogurt. When asked what she eats with the milk, or if she drinks it alone, she says with cereal or a granola bar. So, yeah...the next logical step is to have her tested and we are doing that tomorrow.

My concern is not so much that she is making it up but reading symptoms into her situation because she of my problems or have they always been there and is she just now aware that they are not normal but are actual symptoms because of me?

If her testing is negative...then what? Do we still treat her as a positive because of my history? Will the Dr. doubt my DX because of a negative in her?

And finally...how long does it generally take to get the results back and are the tests painful?

Thanks for the input.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I say your daughter just thought it was normal to have those problems before, and is now aware that they are not.

If her tests come back negative (with the high false negative rate, very possible), have her tested by Enterolab. That is what I did with my youngest daughter, who refused to try the gluten-free diet without proof that she needed to be on it (despite all the obvious symptoms).

Her older sister and her five kids are on the gluten-free diet without testing, with amazing results. The only one who the diet doesn't make a difference in is her three-year-old.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter