This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Body Ecology Diet

Ken70

Ken70 Apprentice

Who has read this book or knows anything about it. I saw a woman last week who treats candida with colon hydrotherapy. She pretty much demanded that I read the book and start doing the diet because in her words it is the only diet she has found that helps her patients over the hump. (If you want to know about colon hydrotherapy pm me and I will share it privately - I'm not sure the general public wants hear about it frankly)

I bought the book and it seems to be spot on with much of what I have learned so far. It goes a bit further than anything I have read to date but it seems to make perfect sense.

Has anyone heard of it or tried following it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Green12 Enthusiast

I have read this book, 2 different editions of it actually.

It's been about 4 years or so, but I followed the diet for a few months.

IMO it was a little unrealistic for me to stay on for a lifetime. The diet is largely based on eating cultured foods like kefir and making your own cultured veggies and cultured coconut milk. I can't eat dairy so the kefir was off limits for me, which took away all the things she suggested to do with the kefir.

Also you are encouraged to buy a lot of the products from the author's own line, which personally I didn't like.

But I do think there's good info in the book.

Ken70 Apprentice
I have read this book, 2 different editions of it actually.

It's been about 4 years or so, but I followed the diet for a few months.

IMO it was a little unrealistic for me to stay on for a lifetime. The diet is largely based on eating cultured foods like kefir and making your own cultured veggies and cultured coconut milk. I can't eat dairy so the kefir was off limits for me, which took away all the things she suggested to do with the kefir.

Also you are encouraged to buy a lot of the products from the author's own line, which personally I didn't like.

But I do think there's good info in the book.

I bought cultured vegetables, sprouted nut/seed granola and young coconut kefir water in two different flavors all from a woman in New Hampshire. I had to meet her in the parking lot of a CVS because her development doesn't allow her to run a business out of it. It was like buying pot in high school or something, not that I've ever done that of course.

I bought the stuff based on the books recommendations. These are things I could make at home but I wanted to try them before I made a big effort.

While I don't love the coconut kefir (totally non dairy btw) I do like the granola and the cultured vegetables.

I honestly think this is the missing link. My intestines feel beautiful. No pain, anxiety, discomfort, uneasiness etc..

I don't believe you have to be on this diet for the rest of your life. I think it simply supports the ideas behind starving off the candida and repopulating the gut with friendly organisms. I saw NO results from probiotics. I would prefer to get food like things from food not pills anyway.

I'm sorry that there isn't anyone else that has read this book. It has pulled together a lot of loose ends for me.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I have read the book, and done the diet. I think I did the diet 100% as stated in the book for a month. 30 days w/o any sugar of any kind or fruit or anything. Here's what I found:

1) within a week I had ZERO bloating

2) within two weeks I had virtually ZERO energy.

I don't know if #2 was from die off or if it was from lack of carbs, but I finally had to add back some higher carbed foods. I drank an almond shake from Amazake and within minutes I felt brought back to life.

I think it is a great diet for healing. I do think that one has to have the time/space in their lives to go through the die off/healing crisis that one might encounter. AND, it's possible that folks need to adjust things out so they get enough calories/carbs to get on with their day.

But all in all, other than her suggestion to d%$#@#$, I thought the book made some pretty good sense. I'm happy to say more if you have specific questions, too. Oh yeah, and i love raw sauerkraut!

AliB Enthusiast

I am following the SCD at the moment and am experiencing similar results. Whilst it is still early days - I have only been on it since the beginning of March, my gut is beginning to cope a lot better and I am able to tolerate a few more foods now that I would not have been able to a few weeks ago.

I am also beginning to get a little energy back, I jogged down the road yesterday to get a paper which I haven't done for a long time - I don't expect a miracle - it has taken 50 years of rubbish consumption for me to get into this mess so I can't expect it all to resolve overnight. I did feel a lot better once I dropped the gluten and dairy, but still had issues with a lot of foods so decided to get right back to basics.

This way of eating is good. It is not costing me any more money (in fact it's cheaper as I am not buying and eating the carb-laden rubbish any more) and the only thing I really have to do is make the home-made extra long cultured yogurt. Although I can't cope with dairy per se, I can cope with the yogurt as virtually all the lactose is broken down by the extra long fermentation (at least 24 hours) and which also encourages a greater growth of the bacteria.

I have made my own kefir over the years but it is quite acid and I prefer yogurt. At the end of the day they both serve pretty much the same function - to get good bacteria into the gut.

Getting my body sorted out will take time. I know that the only two times in my life when I felt really well, were the times I went low-carb. I, like a lot of people, do not cope with or process carbs properly and have problems because of it. How much I am kicking myself now for not keeping it going. Quite likely I would not have ended up in the mess I am in now.

Green12 Enthusiast
I bought cultured vegetables, sprouted nut/seed granola and young coconut kefir water in two different flavors all from a woman in New Hampshire. I had to meet her in the parking lot of a CVS because her development doesn't allow her to run a business out of it. It was like buying pot in high school or something, not that I've ever done that of course.

I bought the stuff based on the books recommendations. These are things I could make at home but I wanted to try them before I made a big effort.

While I don't love the coconut kefir (totally non dairy btw) I do like the granola and the cultured vegetables.

I honestly think this is the missing link. My intestines feel beautiful. No pain, anxiety, discomfort, uneasiness etc..

I don't believe you have to be on this diet for the rest of your life. I think it simply supports the ideas behind starving off the candida and repopulating the gut with friendly organisms. I saw NO results from probiotics. I would prefer to get food like things from food not pills anyway.

I'm sorry that there isn't anyone else that has read this book. It has pulled together a lot of loose ends for me.

The first few editions I read I don't think Donna was doing the young coconut water kefir at that point, I think that was introduced into her plan a little later. When I was following the diet the kefir culture starter was for cow's milk or a milk substitute.

You can also buy Rejuvinative foods products found at most health food stores (if Donna still recommends them?):

Open Original Shared Link

I've tried the Veggie Zing, Kim-Chi, and the fresh raw almond butter. I couldn't believe how high quality the almond butter was, superior taste, a little pricey too unfortunately.

To this day I still make her cauliflower soup, and I love the millet poridge (ghee, millet, carrot, and onion in the pressure cooker), both from the recipe sections.

Archived