Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mljltarb

Baking Mixes

I am in Australia and have just found a baking mix that does not have potato flour (for those that are nightshade intolerant as well). The company is from New Zealand and makes a great butter cake, vanilla cup cakes and a fantastic Chocalte pudding. I haven't tried the bread mix as yet. They also put together pasta combination but they all have poato starch in them. Why can't they make pasta without potato starch? Anyway the company, not sure if I can plug their name, is Greens and their glutenfree range is called Basco. Even my husband loves the cake and he doesn't know its gluten free.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am in Australia and have just found a baking mix that does not have potato flour (for those that are nightshade intolerant as well). The company is from New Zealand and makes a great butter cake, vanilla cup cakes and a fantastic Chocalte pudding. I haven't tried the bread mix as yet. They also put together pasta combination but they all have poato starch in them. Why can't they make pasta without potato starch? Anyway the company, not sure if I can plug their name, is Greens and their glutenfree range is called Basco. Even my husband loves the cake and he doesn't know its gluten free.

Sounds great, mljltarb :D

I'm sure the Aussies here appreciate the tip. Sorry I'm in Canada, so I can't get it here. I am hoping to find one's company's baking mixes and all these speciality flours you need (I'm just 3 weeks gluten free now ) at a local health food organic market. I telephoned them on Friday, and they said they carried the brand I was looking for, not just the frozen products but the mixes too. With the bread flour I have in the house now (gluten free kind) from another company, they use potato flour with the rice. The product I preferred when I bought a frozen loaf of it, from the grocery. I noticed they used tapioca flour and not potatoe. I think that made a major difference in the taste. I'm hoping that if I combine the tapiaco flour with this other company's bread mix, it will make it better tasting :P Plus I don't want to waste it, the bag was supposed to make 5 loafs of bread, which works out to 2$ a loaf, compared to the 5-7$ a loaf they charge you for the frozen bread provided by the gluten free bakeries.

cupcakes sound delish, and if they don't notice even better haha

44 yr old mom, SAHM (stay at home; aka a Retro Mama :D , 2 special needs kids dd 15yrs ds 4 yrs

Follows Compassion Rules "Treat others; they way you wish to be treated"

blood test negative: celiac However, doctor felt other factors in blood works warranted trying the gluten-free diet

April 7/08 Doctor confirms gluten intolerance/ remain gluten-free for 2 more months; and repeat tests

Gluten free since March 4/2008 (other than accidently, or unknown gluten used--- its a learning process, Gluten is everywhere!)

"People are like stained-glassed windows. Best viewed in the light!" unknown author

"I am only as strong as the coffee I drink, and the hairspray I use" :)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter