This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Reaction To Almonds?

fedora

fedora Enthusiast

I may be unable to eat almonds. I have been doing very well off gluten. I also went off dairy. While on gluten I had bad left shoulder pain, neck pain,TMJ-left jaw, and left knee problems. They went 95% away!!!! :D Truly a miracle.

A week and a half ago I introduced almonds into my diet. Nuts and milk. A few days later my joint pain came back for a whole week. But no mood issues(which I get from gluten). I have been eating almonds almost every day since then. GI is a little weirded out, but it hasn't totally rebalanced since going off gluten and then dairy. This time it is affecting more joint and bone areas than use to hurt. I thought either I am now reacting to corn :o or almonds. I had continued on corn and soy. After my pain came back I went of soy. I still am having the pain. So I am going off corn and almonds. And then testing each seperately. Does anyone else have this problem from almonds. The pain is also in my arms and hands. That sucks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

HAK1031 Enthusiast

I don't digest nuts very well (I can tell on the other end :unsure:) but are you sure that: a. Your almond milk is gluten-free? Have you called the company? and b. Your almonds themselves are not cross contaminated or sprayed with wheat starch or anything?

Good luck!

Guest Lore

I definitely don't do well with almonds. It's typical for a Celiac to not do well with nuts at all. You're not alone!

fedora Enthusiast

hi,

The almond mild is blue diamond. some of the nuts are blue diamond. The other nuts are organic from the natural food stores. They are just plain almonds. I don't think they were cced. I have never heard of nuts being sprayed with wheat starch. That's crazy. How would I know?

• 1 year later...
terranaut Newbie
I may be unable to eat almonds... Does anyone else have this problem from almonds.

I just found this and joined the forum to respond. I was searching for links between almonds and joint pain, but the only information I could find stated that almonds may be used to help *ease* joint pain.

A few weeks ago I stopped eating almonds. I didn't change anything else about my diet. After a week, my shoulder pain had gone (my physio took the credit but up until that point his treatments had done nothing whatsoever to ease the continual discomfort). Other problematic joints also improved. So I traced it back to the almonds.

To test the theory, last Saturday I ate some. Oh my gosh I wish I hadn't. Aside from physical exhaustion and tiredness (which had also gotten better in the two weeks I ate no almonds), my shoulder pain returned and so did the other joint problems. I'm only just starting to feel better 4 days later.

I'm gluten/wheat/yeast/dairy free and now tree nut free. Apparently pistachio's rarely cause reactions, likewise pumpkin and sunflower seeds. So I'm cautiously testing these.

• 1 month later...
kmuniac Newbie
I just found this and joined the forum to respond. I was searching for links between almonds and joint pain, but the only information I could find stated that almonds may be used to help *ease* joint pain.

A few weeks ago I stopped eating almonds. I didn't change anything else about my diet. After a week, my shoulder pain had gone (my physio took the credit but up until that point his treatments had done nothing whatsoever to ease the continual discomfort). Other problematic joints also improved. So I traced it back to the almonds.

To test the theory, last Saturday I ate some. Oh my gosh I wish I hadn't. Aside from physical exhaustion and tiredness (which had also gotten better in the two weeks I ate no almonds), my shoulder pain returned and so did the other joint problems. I'm only just starting to feel better 4 days later.

I'm gluten/wheat/yeast/dairy free and now tree nut free. Apparently pistachio's rarely cause reactions, likewise pumpkin and sunflower seeds. So I'm cautiously testing these.

i am all these things free too excpet almonds but i seem to be having a reaction to them. i dont have shoulder pain but get horrible foot cramps and other issues when i eat them. im not sure what else im suppose to eat. i miss crunchy. oh and im currently rice free.

AliB Enthusiast

Some of the 'legal' foods on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet that I am following are nuts, but some do find that initially they can't cope with them until well into the diet when the gut has started to heal more. I had issues with quite a lot of foods at the beginning, like eggs and nuts. Egg tolerance came a few weeks later and now, a year later, I seem to cope with virtually all SCD 'legal' foods, including nuts.

It may be that your gut is just too damaged to cope with them at present, but if you can manage to stick to a fairly basic uncomplicated, unprocessed and easy to digest diet for a while to give your gut a chance to heal, you may find that you can cope with the almonds at a later stage.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LDJofDenver Apprentice
hi,

The almond mild is blue diamond. some of the nuts are blue diamond. The other nuts are organic from the natural food stores. They are just plain almonds. I don't think they were cced. I have never heard of nuts being sprayed with wheat starch. That's crazy. How would I know?

Maybe not sprayed with wheat starch, but very possibly processed on equipment that also processes wheat products. I've seen this on the label of almonds (and other nuts) at our local "natural" grocers.

Bastet Newbie

Almonds were one of the things I turned to after my diagnosis recently. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to digest them. I have issues after eating them. I have not noticed any joint pain though. But I am very new to this.

• 3 years later...
Charli61 Apprentice

Have just decided that almonds are the culprit with my joint pain that has resurfaced after several months of nearly pain free joints.  Rheumatologist told me that the 'celiac joint pain' could actually take years to abate. So, when it was mostly gone I was feeling pretty good, then yesterday and today major pain in hands and wrists and also ankles and feet.  :(  As a vegetarian nuts are important in my diet, but I am tossing the almonds for sure!

GottaSki Mentor

curious....as a vegetarian do you eat tomatoes, peppers, potatoes and eggplant

nightshades can cause joint pain

i'm not saying almonds can't be problematic for some folks -- just hate to see you lose a great source of protein and good fat.

also double check your almonds are from a gluten-free source -- i had a heck of a time finding raw almonds that were not processed in a shared facility.

HiDee Rookie

My husband has been in to see a naturopath recently and they did a blood test for food intolerances and now he is supposed to cut out almonds, eggs, dairy, peanuts, and cane sugar.  We have already been gluten free for several years and pretty light on the sugar and carbs.  I've been doing almost all of my baking for the past few years with almond and coconut flours because I thought they were much healthier options than all the rice/pot. starch/tap. starch mixes out there that are so devoid of any nutrition and full of empty carbs.  However, my husband is just always sore and it's not joint soreness all the time (though I think he has that sometimes), he has muscle soreness.  And sometimes he'll have stomach issues like acid reflux type stuff.  AND he doesn't ever sleep well, he wakes up several times a night.  None of that ever got better with the gluten-free diet, which is why we resorted to seeing a naturopath.  I would dearly love to get him off the zantac and not have to give him daily massages and if this is the key then I'm happy to do it but I just don't know what to feed him anymore for breakfast.  Up until now most of our breakfast foods have been almond flour muffins or eggs or smoothies with whey protein all of which he can't have anymore.  Has anyone else had any similar symptoms and found relief when cutting out these foods?  And will he ever get to go back to eating them?  I mean, I don't mind cutting out sugar, we've already done that for the most part but now that he can't eat it at all I'm finding it everywhere, it's in bacon and sausage and Lawry's seasoning salt for crying out loud and all sorts of other places.  I'm a bit at a loss.  Thanks in advance for any help or advice you have.

• 1 month later...
georgene Newbie

I recently found out that the joint pain I've been experiencing is partly due to tree nuts. I had been using almond flour in a lot of recipes and my knee pain got so bad that I thought I would have to quit my job.

I found a mix on a forum that uses coconut flour. I've used it to make biscuits, waffles and pie crusts. I don't know if you can put links on this forum (some don't allow it) so I'll just say that the board is called  lowcarbfriends and you want to look for BTF mix of the Fantastic Flour Mix.

Regarding more breakfast ideas... you might have to think outside the box. For instance, steak for breakfast? Smoothies made out of coconut milk with frozen fruit? Coconut flour waffles with blueberries? I use the BTF mix and made a bread and then use it for french toast but I do believe it has eggs in it. You can look up substitutes for eggs in recipes. Sometimes we'll eat fried chicken for breakfast. :-) 

Hope this helps!

My husband has been in to see a naturopath recently and they did a blood test for food intolerances and now he is supposed to cut out almonds, eggs, dairy, peanuts, and cane sugar.  We have already been gluten free for several years and pretty light on the sugar and carbs.  I've been doing almost all of my baking for the past few years with almond and coconut flours because I thought they were much healthier options than all the rice/pot. starch/tap. starch mixes out there that are so devoid of any nutrition and full of empty carbs.  However, my husband is just always sore and it's not joint soreness all the time (though I think he has that sometimes), he has muscle soreness.  And sometimes he'll have stomach issues like acid reflux type stuff.  AND he doesn't ever sleep well, he wakes up several times a night.  None of that ever got better with the gluten-free diet, which is why we resorted to seeing a naturopath.  I would dearly love to get him off the zantac and not have to give him daily massages and if this is the key then I'm happy to do it but I just don't know what to feed him anymore for breakfast.  Up until now most of our breakfast foods have been almond flour muffins or eggs or smoothies with whey protein all of which he can't have anymore.  Has anyone else had any similar symptoms and found relief when cutting out these foods?  And will he ever get to go back to eating them?  I mean, I don't mind cutting out sugar, we've already done that for the most part but now that he can't eat it at all I'm finding it everywhere, it's in bacon and sausage and Lawry's seasoning salt for crying out loud and all sorts of other places.  I'm a bit at a loss.  Thanks in advance for any help or advice you have.

• 10 months later...
Charli61 Apprentice

I may be unable to eat almonds. I have been doing very well off gluten. I also went off dairy. While on gluten I had bad left shoulder pain, neck pain,TMJ-left jaw, and left knee problems. They went 95% away!!!! biggrin.gif Truly a miracle.

A week and a half ago I introduced almonds into my diet. Nuts and milk. A few days later my joint pain came back for a whole week. But no mood issues(which I get from gluten). I have been eating almonds almost every day since then. GI is a little weirded out, but it hasn't totally rebalanced since going off gluten and then dairy. This time it is affecting more joint and bone areas than use to hurt. I thought either I am now reacting to corn ohmy.gif or almonds. I had continued on corn and soy. After my pain came back I went of soy. I still am having the pain. So I am going off corn and almonds. And then testing each seperately. Does anyone else have this problem from almonds. The pain is also in my arms and hands. That sucks.

At first it was almonds that affected my joints... now it appears that cashews are also doing it :(  I am so sore right now!  So, I think I will just quit all tree nuts, this is tricky because as well as being Celiac I am a vegetarian, not vegan thank goodness, because I am already restricted enough!

Charli61 Apprentice

curious....as a vegetarian do you eat tomatoes, peppers, potatoes and eggplant

nightshades can cause joint pain

i'm not saying almonds can't be problematic for some folks -- just hate to see you lose a great source of protein and good fat.

also double check your almonds are from a gluten-free source -- i had a heck of a time finding raw almonds that were not processed in a shared facility.

Thanks Lisa, and yes I do eat tomatoes, peppers and potatoes with no issues.  It is definitely almonds and now cashews too... I am giving up all tree nuts for awhile and will see if the pain abates.  You are right as a vegetarian I do not like losing these proteins either, but it seems necessary.  I tried nuts that were from 3 different sources, supposedly gluten free, so I think it is really the nuts themselves at fault.  I will post again after being tree nut free for a month or two and let you know how it is. :)

Archived